After six months of closure, our theatre will be open to the public as part of Open House London weekend. Visitors will be able to access our two world-class stages: the velvet, gilt and glamour of the Main Stage, built in 1858, as well as the state-of-the-art Linbury Theatre which opened in 2018.
- Take a bow (and a selfie) on the Main Stage
- Watch a special film screening in the Linbury Theatre of highlights from our ballet and opera productions
- Enjoy superb food and drinks to eat-in or takeaway from our café
- Help us return to the stage stronger than ever by supporting our community of artists, crafts people and producers with a purchase from the ROH shop
Open House London is free but visitors must pre-book tickets in advance and follow our social distancing guidelines. We look forward to welcoming you back to our Covent Garden home, whether you’re a first-time visitor or a long-standing opera and ballet fan.
- Bubble Ticketing – You can book one ticket which includes access for yourself and your ‘bubble’. Your group, or ‘bubble’, can be formed of up to six people from the same household, or a combination of one household and one individual only. During parts of the experience, you will be seated alongside your group. Social distancing will be maintained between other groups or 'bubbles' but not within them. You only need to apply for one ticket per bubble, regardless of how many people are in your group. Tickets will be issued as e-tickets and must be shown to our staff on a screen to minimise contact. We will be able to scan the screen of your phone or tablet.
- Entering the Royal Opera House – You can only enter the Royal Opera House by the main Bow Street entrance. You will be asked to sanitise your hands, your bags will be searched and your temperature will be checked. You will need to provide your information for NHS Test and Trace. You can do that on the day or within 24 hours of your visit by filling out this form.
- The experience – The Royal Opera House will be open from 10am. Final entry will be at 7pm. The Open House experience will last for approximately 30 minutes, with a chance to spend longer in the café and shop afterwards. There will be a maximum of 24 people enjoying the experience at one time.
You will be welcomed around the Royal Opera House by staff, who will be wearing personal protective equipment. A one way system will be in place to ensure a safe distance is maintained.
You will be seated with your bubble, a safe distance from others, during the film in the Linbury Theatre.
- Eating and drinking – We ask that you do not bring any food or drink into the building with you. You will be able to purchase food and drink from our café at the end of the experience, to enjoy inside the cafe or to take away.
- Special offers – Our shop will be open to browse and enjoy. Only one bubble will be permitted at a time.
A brand new souvenir book, illustrating the areas of the Royal Opera House that you have seen, will be on sale. Every purchase of the photobook will include a free black ROH tote bag when you present your Open House e-ticket. 10% discount is applicable on all other purchases in the shop.
- Access – If you have any accessibility needs then do not hesitate to contact our box office. Staff will be on site to help and provide alternative routes through the building, depending on your needs. Please also let us know if you lip-read, or require to see the facial features of our staff – we will ensure that your guide wears a visor instead of a mask.
- Risk assessment – You can read our COVID-19 Safe Working Risk Assessment for further information about our measures to keep visitors and staff safe.