‘A dashing ensemble who play with exhilarating fizz, exactness and stamina’
- the Times
Southbank Sinfonia (SbS) is an orchestra of young professionals that is internationally recognized as a leading orchestral academy. Each year it brings together 32 exceptional graduate musicians from all over the world to provide a much-needed springboard into the profession.
Their performance year runs from January to October, during which time players gain extensive experience in a wide-range of musical styles – from Baroque to contemporary and opera to jazz – drawing expertise and inspiration from collaborations with some of the UK’s leading arts organizations. Activities with the Royal Opera House give members the opportunity to accrue a wealth of practical experience on-site at Covent Garden.
The Southbank Sinfonia’s collaboration with the Royal Opera House features:
- Meet and Greet: staff and artists from ROH join SbS musicians for an informal reception with The Ballet Company, Orchestra, music library and Jette Parker Young Artists, plus a tour of Covent Garden
- Side by Side: a development day and public performance aimed at fostering the skills needed to play specifically for opera and ballet. Players from the Orchestra of the Royal Opera House sit side by side the SbS players as mentors, and the day is led by ROH conductors Barry Wordsworth and Paul Wynne Griffiths
- Lunchtime recitals in the Crush Room
- JPYA showcase performance and chamber operas in the Linbury Studio Theatre
- Mock auditions
- Main Stage performances as part of Royal Opera House Learning and Participation events
- Chance to Dance performances
- Open rehearsals
Southbank Sinfonia was founded in 2002 and its partnership with the Royal Opera House has grown substantially since then. It now extends across the organization, involving multiple projects with the Royal Opera House Orchestra, education ventures, lunchtime recitals, Jette Parker Young Artists (JPYA) performances, dance productions, chamber operas in the Linbury Studio Theatre and other initiatives.
If you are a young musician interested in joining Southbank Sinfonia, applications are welcome every year. For more information, visit the Southbank Sinfonia website or contact email@example.com.