Southbank Sinfonia is an orchestra of young professionals described by the Times as ‘a dashing ensemble who play with exhilarating fizz, exactness and stamina’. Now celebrating its tenth anniversary, Southbank Sinfonia is internationally recognised as a leading orchestral academy, providing graduate musicians from all over the world with a much-needed springboard into the profession.
Their performance year runs from January to October and during that time players perform in a range of styles and settings, and draw expertise and inspiration from collaborating with professional artists from the Royal Opera House as well as other organizations. The members’ activities with the ROH give them the opportunity to accrue a wealth of practical experience on-site at Covent Garden.
Southbank Sinfonia was founded in 2002 and its partnership with the Royal Opera House has grown substantially since then. It now extends across the organization, involving multiple projects with the Royal Opera House Orchestra, education ventures, lunchtime recitals, Jette Parker Young Artists (JPYA) performances, dance productions, chamber operas in the Linbury Studio Theatre and other initiatives.
The Southbank Sinfonia’s collaboration with the Royal Opera House includes the following:
- Meet and Greet: staff and artists from ROH join SbS musicians for an informal reception with The Ballet Company, Orchestra, music library and JPYAs plus a tour of Covent Garden
- Side by Side: a development day and public performance aimed at fostering the skills needed to play specifically for opera and ballet. Players from the Orchestra of the Royal Opera House sit side by side the SbS players as mentors, and the day is led by ROH conductors Barry Wordsworth and Paul Wynne Griffiths
- Lunchtime recitals in the Crush Room
- JPYA showcase performance and chamber operas in the Linbury Studio Theatre
- Mock auditions
- Education Main Stage performances
- Chance to Dance performances
- Open rehearsals
Find out more in our News & Features section.
If you are a young musician interested in joining Southbank Sinfonia, applications are welcome every year. For more information, visit the Southbank Sinfonia website or contact firstname.lastname@example.org.