Your Reaction: What did you think of The Royal Ballet's Romeo and Juliet 2019?

Audience and press reviews of Kenneth MacMillan's 20th-century ballet masterpiece.

By Becky Black (Social Media Editor)

27 March 2019 at 11.01am | 22 Comments

Press reviews:

The Guardian ★★★★★
The Times (£) ★★★★
Bachtrack ★★★★
Independent ★★★★
Londonist ★★★★
Rewrite This Story ★★★★
The Stage ★★★

More press reviews will be added in due course.

What did you think of Romeo and Juliet?
Share your reviews via the comments below, or by using #ROHromeo.

Romeo and Juliet runs until 11 June 2019. Tickets are available here.

Romeo and Juliet will be relayed in cinemas around the world on 11 June. Find your nearest screen here.

The production is staged with generous philanthropic support from Julia and Hans Rausing, Melinda and Donald Quintin, Sir Lloyd and Lady Dorfman, Kenneth and Susan Green, John and Susan Burns, The Gerald Ronson Family Foundation, The Goldhammer Foundation, The Royal Opera House Endowment Fund and an anonymous donor.

By Becky Black (Social Media Editor)

27 March 2019 at 11.01am

This article has been categorised Ballet and tagged by Kenneth Macmillan, Production, review, Romeo and Juliet, your reaction

1. Dewi Hughes responded on 27 March 2019 at 4:09pm Reply

A really first class first night performance by all. Whilst Cuthbertson and Ball appear to be a good pairing for me the better pairing was Takada and Hirano who performed at the General Rehearsal on Tuesday. I would love to see this combination again as I consider that both could be used more by the company. Best wishes to all for the remaining performances particularly Thursday evening 28th March.

• elleG responded on 27 March 2019 at 5:41pm

You may not realise, Dewi Hughes, that Ryoichi Hirano is now dancing Romeo with 2 different Juliets as well as being cast as Paris. He recently finished the run of Frankenstein where he played The Creature to considerable acclaim and is also still cast as Espada in Don Quixote, another signature role for him. This calendar year, Akane Takada has danced The Girl in 2 Pigeons (beautifully), had the cinema broadcast as Kitri in Don Quixote and is now being a lovely Juliet. In my view, Kevin O'hare is very even-handed in his casting and, actually, there are Principals who have significantly less stage time than the two artists you mention. There is also, surely, a need to ensure that dancers are not over-used/over-worked.

2. Annabel Charles responded on 28 March 2019 at 7:55pm Reply

It was seeing Lauren Cuthbertson dance Juliet with Federico Bonelli a few years ago that drew me back to classical ballet after being committed to modern dance for many years. I thought she was marvellous then but she was even better on Tuesday evening. Her performance was nuanced, sensitive and completely convincing. She captured the youth and vulnerability of Juliet as well as her determination and passion. Matthew Ball was a romantic (that cloak!) and tender Romeo who went from strength to strength during the evening. Their final pas de deux was utterly heart wrenching. The rest of the cast was excellent too - particularly James Hay as Benvolio, Valentino Zucchetti as Mercutio and Gary Avis as Tybalt. A special mention for the Mandolin dance - and particularly Marcelino Sambe, who is a life force - and the harlots with their unstoppable energy. It was a fabulous evening - thank you to the whole company.

3. Richard responded on 31 March 2019 at 8:54am Reply

Akane Takada's debut as Juliet (very ably supported by Ryoichi Hirano in his Romeo debut, and James Hay in his Mercutio debut) was so movingly danced and acted - pretty close to perfection in my book! She is such a great performer now, and has become, for me, a first choice when considering booking options.

• Dewi Hughes responded on 1 April 2019 at 5:08pm

Richard I agree. As I stated having seen Akane and Ryoichi in the General Rehearsal last Tuesday I think they are a perfect partnership. Perhaps they will be used as a pair again.

4. Brian responded on 2 April 2019 at 9:05pm Reply

I completely agree with Richard. Over the year Akane Takada has become a great artist and I try not to miss her in anything. The partnership with Ryoichi Hirano is very special.

5. Kevin responded on 3 April 2019 at 9:23pm Reply

More stabbings and knife crime.

6. Brett responded on 7 April 2019 at 6:15pm Reply

Dear Royal Opera House ... when will you reveal Steven Macrae's replacement for Romeo and Juliet and Within The Golden Hour ? also I heard that Reece Clarke Injured himself in Don Q and had to be replaced by Nicol Edmonds ... will be healed in time for Romeo ?

7. Neil & Alli H responded on 15 April 2019 at 5:59pm Reply

Anyone who was privileged enough to witness the debut performance of Anna Rose O'Sullivan & Marcelino Sambe will realise a new generation is born. Youth wins the day! Perfect, thank you Royal.

8. Simon Smith responded on 15 April 2019 at 6:47pm Reply

A fabulous Saturday matinee with wonderful public debuts from Anna-Rose O’Sullivan and Marcelino Sambe in the title roles, completely believable as the young lovers and heart breaking in the closing scene. Romeo had great support from Luca Acri and Teo Dubreuil, also both debuts. The Royal Ballet gave a compelling performance - loved Kristen McNally, Mica Bradbury and Romany Pajek as the Harlots and David Yudes leading the Mandolins. An astonishing afternoon, one of those very special occasions that will live long in the memory. Thank you Kevin O’Hare for nurturing your supremely talented younger dancers and giving them such an opportunity - I just wish this cast had a further public performance. Those fortunate people attending the earlier schools matinee I’m sure will have been transfixed and will hopefully return many times to the Royal Opera House. Huge congratulations to all and particularly Anna-Rose and Marci.

9. Karen responded on 21 April 2019 at 11:00pm Reply

I totally agree with the comments about Anna-Rose and Marcelino. They were fantastic. I also wish they had another performance because I would certainly be trying to get a ticket to see them again. As I sat there watching I felt privileged to be witnessing the 'birth' of a new Juliet. I really hope these two amazing young dancers will get the opportunity to dance together again very soon.

10. Bridie Macmahon responded on 3 May 2019 at 11:17pm Reply

On Wednesday evening, Sarah Lamb and Vadim Muntagirov gave performances of such beauty, purity and goodness that the tragedy became unbearable. A profoundly moving performance, and one I will always remember. Thank you to them and to the whole company.

11. Annabel Charles responded on 5 May 2019 at 4:44pm Reply

I loved the first night so much I came again yesterday and saw Sarah Lamb and Vadim Muntagirov in the title roles - and thought they were marvellous too. Slightly different in their interpretation - but technically brilliant - and again, very convincing and moving. Just beautiful. I also though Teo Dubreuil was excellent as Benvolio - and Marcelino Sambe outstanding as Mercutio. Thomas Whitehad was a brooding and intimidating force as Tybalt and the fight scenes were breathtakingly tense. I came away feeling that the whole company is so good and performs so effectively as a team, that whatever cast you see, you have an excellent experience. Congratulations to all involved - and thank you to Kevin O' Hare for so many wonderful performances already this year.

12. Karen Morris responded on 12 May 2019 at 11:08am Reply

Francesca Hayward and Cesar Corrales, one word, BREATHTAKING.

13. Katrine Pollard responded on 13 May 2019 at 6:18pm Reply

My first time to The Royal Opera House was made Unforgettable by the Staff and the Performance of This Production of Romeo and Juliet. Thank you to all concerned

14. r.a. responded on 15 May 2019 at 1:23pm Reply

I have been privileged over the years to see some wonderful Juliets - my favourites before Monday were Alessandra Ferri and Tamara Rojo. Now I have a new favourite: Beatriz Stix-Brunell. She made an extraordinary debut in the role on Monday - besides being an exquisite dancer she is in my opinion the best actress among the younger members of the Company - I haven't seen so much nuance since I saw Tamara and Carlos dance together some years ago. I really hope Beatriz will be given the chance to dance in more Macmillan roles in the future.
    In The Golden Hour last week I saw her dance with Vadim in a completely different ballet. She really is a star multi-faceted performer who can dance comedy and tragedy equally well. I really feel she deserves to be promoted to principal.

15. Sylvia Jane Courtenay-Barratt responded on 23 May 2019 at 5:46pm Reply

It was an absolute privilege to be at The Opera House for the performance on Wednesday evening of Romeo and Juliet with David Hallberg and Natalia Osipova. I am a huge admirer of Mr Hallberg, and it was he that I really came to see. I was aware that their partnership has enjoyed much success, but they brought something very special to this ballet, which is not one of my favourites. It was by far the best evening I have ever spent at a theatre.

• Sebastian Petit responded on 4 June 2019 at 12:17pm

Absolutely stunning - Probably the most harrowing Act 3 I've seen in 30 years of watching this ballet

16. Zzzebeddee responded on 24 May 2019 at 7:24pm Reply

Is it necessary to have quite so many and long drawn out sword fights all seemingly choreographed the same way? And could they hurry up and die a bit quicker too, please?

17. Claire responded on 26 May 2019 at 6:37pm Reply

I absolutely loved Romeo and Juliet yesterday and I agree Beatrix stix-Brunel was incredible as Juliet. What an emotive, incredible performance. I wanted to book tickets to watch it all over again and again. Incredible.

18. margaret lauder responded on 28 May 2019 at 12:44pm Reply

I saw Beatriz at the Saturday matinee. She was exquisite. i have been following her since she made an unscheduled appearance in Alice in Wonderland in around 2011 or 2012.