Your Reaction: What did you think of The Royal Ballet's Within the Golden Hour / Medusa / Flight Pattern live in cinemas?

The Royal Ballet's new triple bill featuring work by Sidi Larbi Cherkaoui, Crystal Pite and Christopher Wheeldon was relayed live to cinemas around the world.

By Becky Black (Social Media Editor)

16 May 2019 at 10.16pm | 29 Comments

What did you think of Within the Golden Hour / Medusa / Flight Pattern live in cinemas?
Share your thoughts via the comments below.

The next live cinema relay of the 2018/19 Season will be The Royal Ballet's Romeo and Juliet on 11 June. There will also be free outdoor screenings across the UK as part of BP Big ScreensFind your nearest cinema and sign up to our mailing list.

1. Encar responded on 16 May 2019 at 10:44pm Reply

From Torrevieja in Alicante Spain a big

2. Karen responded on 16 May 2019 at 10:47pm Reply

An excellent mixed programme showcasing the tremendous talent and versatility of the Royal Ballet. Absolutely on top form now. We are so lucky to have such a wonderful company, can't wait for next season!

3. Bertie Woolsey responded on 16 May 2019 at 11:43pm Reply

Wonderful Triple Bill. Fabulous dancing.
    Again the lighting used for cameras, let the broadcast down. All too familiar a fault with ROH live broadcasts
    Golden Hour was dull, lighting below par, Medusa, dark, Flight pattern, sometimes just a grey moving mass.
    Too dark at times to pick out clear movement.
    This is not the Cinemas fault.
    I have just seen it live in ROH, lighting is fine.
    Tonight, what we saw in cinema was below par.
    . Many in my cinema were audibly bemoaning the bsd lighting quality.
    Many are live cinema Regulars, attending HD. MET OPERA, plus Bolshoi, filmed by Pathe news
    THE DARKEST STAGING ARE ALL LIT WELL FOR CINEMA BROADCASTS by these opera houses.

Why do ROH, get it continually wrong SO MANY Times. Re underlit cinema offerings
    We are getting short changed., as the live performance is so much brighter
    . Even the ROH curtain, Deep RED, COMES OVER AS BLACK IN THE CINEMA, Thats how wrong the colour spectrum is for the broadcasts at ROH

IT'S LETTING THE WONDERFUL DANCERS DOWN.
    A GREAT NIGHT, WE ARE VERY LUCKY.
    Bouquets to the fabulous animated, informative chat,, conductor JONATHON LO gave before Flight Pattern. His knowledge, enthusiasm, and delivery greatly enhanced the piece for us. He went down very well in my cinema. SIGN HIM UP FOR more commentary work, if his schedule allows.

4. Stevie responded on 17 May 2019 at 12:15am Reply

I am so pleased that the Christopher Wheeldon piece was first up, otherwise I may have missed this beautiful production by leaving early and hoping no one noticed me.

5. Natalia responded on 17 May 2019 at 6:34am Reply

Wonderful mixed program of contemporary dance. Medusa was breath-taking. 40 minutes went in a one deep breath.

6. Angus Milne responded on 17 May 2019 at 7:32am Reply

I was lucky enough to see flight pattern at the opera house on its debut. The lighting was subdued but I could see the dancers and it was very moving. In the cinema the lighting was so low that lots of the work was nearly invisible.
    Why does low lighting on stage often come out as bad lighting in the cinema ?
    Lighting for Medusa also hid much of the work. Such a pity for such beautiful ballet.

• Diana Jones responded on 17 May 2019 at 9:25pm

I agree. We thoroughly enjoyed all three but missed so much of the beauty of the Flight Pattern as it was so hard to see. Watching in Ondara Spain

• Karolina Sadlowska responded on 13 June 2019 at 2:19pm

Dear Angus,

Thank you for your feedback and sharing your experience from the cinema relay of Within the Golden Hour / Medusa / Flight Pattern.

We are very sorry to hear that Flight Pattern was so dark in the cinema you attended. We regularly investigate cinema lighting as we do sometimes find that there are local problems with cinemas setting the correct brightness in their projectors and adapting the lighting according to the settings required.

We would like to assure you that thorough testing is carried out in real cinema conditions prior to each relay to assess the lighting for each production. Our artistic teams are involved in this process and pay close attention to all specifications to ensure their needs are met throughout the transmission. We aim to provide cinema audiences with the best audio-visual experience while preserving the requirements of the stage director. Film lighting specialists are employed to create this balance and all our relays are delivered in high definition.

In the case of Flight Pattern, this was conceived as a darker ballet in the first place. The vision for the piece was a dark set, with grey and black costumes, and indistinguishable figures emerging from the gloom. Therefore, the image was not made brighter to remain within the visualisation for the ballet.

We sincerely hope this gives you some useful insight into the overall processes involved in our cinema relays. Your comments are important to us and your support of our cinema season very much appreciated.

Best regards,

Karolina
      ROH Cinema

7. Christopher Normand responded on 17 May 2019 at 9:34am Reply

Wonderful evening of superlative ballet. ROH at its best. As the soloists were different from those advertised nay we have a list of these please (particularly for Within the Golden Hour).

8. Nicholas Burdett responded on 17 May 2019 at 11:19am Reply

Three contrasting pieces beautifully performed by all on stage and in the orchestral pit. Beauty, drama, emotion. The Royal Ballet is such a joy! I would love a DVD of this programme.

9. Ana responded on 17 May 2019 at 11:26am Reply

Within the Golden Hour was a triumph. My doubts on the costumes I saw beforehand were proved wrong - they turned out to fit perfectly to the new, beautiful lighting design. The entire cast was brilliant, special shoutout though to Téo Dubreuil and Bstix Brunell, also the Lamb and Campbell pdd was outstanding.
    Medusa had some interesting elements, set and costumes I did like very much and Natalia Osipova is a force to be reckoned with, but other than that didn't make any impact on me. I thought there were some real problems with the storytelling, the choice of music did not help at all.
    I was very happy to finally be able to see Flight Pattern, which was incredibly moving and superbly danced by the entire ensemble and soloists though unfortunately the lighting in the cinema was very low. Within the Golden Hour and Flight Pattern left me very emotional in different ways, all in all a beautiful display of the RB's excellence.

10. Alan Sparrow responded on 17 May 2019 at 12:35pm Reply

Medusa, particularly, had us all mouth agape in Sitges, Spain.
    There are no adjectives to exolain the sheer Beauty we experienced. I can only think of ·"supernatural"
    How fortunate we all are to be able to see these masterpieces now, direct and live!

11. Richard responded on 17 May 2019 at 1:32pm Reply

WTGH was glorious, and Medusa was mesmerising, but on the cinema screen Flight Pattern was spoiled by the lack of light.

12. Kerstin Schneider responded on 17 May 2019 at 2:44pm Reply

Could not agree more with Angus Milne who comments on the bad lighting making the dancers' moves invisible. I and other critics have already remarked on this more than once. Film makes everything about 2 shades darker, thus destroying the whole ballet design. Ross McGibbon was a ballet dancer himself, he should know better! When filming, the lighting design must be adjusted, especially the background light!

13. Bob Horsley responded on 17 May 2019 at 3:29pm Reply

A brilliant trio of outstandingly choreographed and amazingly danced ballets with superb orchestral accompaniment. I think the boys and girls of the Royal Ballet are literally superhuman! How do they do it?ee

14. Absolutely fabulous. Medusa was amazing, n particular. I've written a (rather long) review here:
    cultureandanarchy.org/2019/05/17/royal-ballet-medusa-triple-bill/

15. Karen responded on 17 May 2019 at 4:36pm Reply

It was Francesca Hayward instead of Lauren Cuthbertson and I think Valentino Zucchetti instead of Ryo. The others were as on cast sheet. Also agree, despite my earlier very positive comments ,that the lighting in the cinema for flight pattern was extremely subdued.

16. H Ducker responded on 17 May 2019 at 5:29pm Reply

I thought Golden Hour was thrilling and reminded me of Symphonic Variations which has always been one of my favourites.Sorry not to see Lauren C but so enjoyed(as ever)Sarah L.

Found Medusa hard work and Flight Pattern again too long and too much angst(which I suppose was C.P's aim!)

It wasn't well attended at our Odeon.Shame.

17. Gavin Hall responded on 17 May 2019 at 8:15pm Reply

I'm new to contemporary dance. Golden Hour I found entrancing, the costumes really contributing in the movement of fabric.
    Medusa - breathtaking, wonderful, the time just zipped by I was so engrossed. We were a small audience (about 30) but we became "people who applaud in the cinema" at the end!
    Flight Pattern - as has been said, at least when relayed to screens, it was seriously underlit. The other thing that really irritated me about this - and some other ballet transmissions - was the close-ups. Fine for a pas de deux, but when there are 36 dancers in the corps, I want the camera to stay back so I can see how the floor patterns emerge and change and flow.

18. Judie responded on 18 May 2019 at 8:08am Reply

Medusa and Flight Pattern were so incredibly moving and the singing made it even more so. You came out feeling emotionally drained but at the same time privileged to have seen such wonderful dancing. Thank you ROH for letting us share this performance

19. Denis Ribeiro responded on 18 May 2019 at 9:44am Reply

'Flight Patterns' absolutely terrific - sublime! 'Within the Golden Hour' attractive but rather "samey" throughout. 'Medusa' simply naff!

20. Marilyn Healy responded on 18 May 2019 at 11:04am Reply

I would also like to know the names of all the dancers. Mention was made that, I think, there had been two changes of cast but nothing further. They all deserved recognition!

21. Desira Smith responded on 18 May 2019 at 7:08pm Reply

A wonderful diverse programme
    . Golden hour so beautiful clever and totally absorbing. Medussa and flight fabulous in all respects although agree a little more light would have enhanced my enjoyment and appreciation of the dancers movements. But that is picky! We are spoilt and long may we continue to be. Thanks to all

22. Michael Legge responded on 19 May 2019 at 8:05pm Reply

How do I buy a DVD copy, a download or any other video recording of the amazing and sublime "Within the Golden Hour"?
    I need to watch it again... and again...
    Michael

• Olivia Moxey responded on 20 May 2019 at 10:54am

Dear Michael,

We're delighted to inform you that this performance will be released on DVD at the start of 2020.

Best Regards,
      ROH Cinema

23. Alison Brown responded on 19 May 2019 at 8:46pm Reply

Angus Milne, I've often wondered this too but haven't been given an answer. The cinema relays ARE darker. Can something be done?

24. Valerie Aris responded on 20 May 2019 at 6:30pm Reply

I was told I would find an updated cast list on this website for the performance as the programme we received in the cinema was incorrect. Where can I find this please?

25. Manon1753 responded on 21 May 2019 at 2:14pm Reply

Sent in a comment which has not appeared and there appears to be no answer to my question. So I'll just repeat it here, where can we consult the cast list for the cinema broadcast?

26. Katrine Pollard responded on 28 May 2019 at 5:01pm Reply

Very happy as today my tickets for Swan lake arrived .Cannot wait for August!