Your Reaction: What did you think of The Nutcracker? (2016/17)

In choreographer Peter Wright's 90th birthday year, the festive ballet returns to the Royal Opera House.

By Mel Spencer (Senior Editor (Social Media))

28 November 2016 at 2.29pm | 17 Comments

Press Reviews:
Express ★★★★★
Financial Times ★★★★★
The Stage ★★★★★
Dance Tabs ★★★★
The Independent ★★★★
The Telegraph ★★★★
Evening Standard ★★★

What did you think of The Nutcracker?
Add your review via the comments below.

The Nutcracker runs until 12 January 2017. Tickets are still available.

The production is supported is given with generous philanthropic support from Hans and Julia Rausing, Peter Lloyd and the Friends of Covent Garden.

By Mel Spencer (Senior Editor (Social Media))

28 November 2016 at 2.29pm

This article has been categorised Ballet and tagged Ballet, by Peter Wright, Production, The Nutcracker, The Royal Ballet, twitter, your reaction

1. John Travis responded on 28 November 2016 at 10:09pm Reply

I attended last Friday's performance of this stunning evergreen production. It heralded the start of the festive season. I was privileged to see an exceptionally strong cast, They were all so superb , I'm not going to any individuals. Everyone was creme de la creme.

2. Steve Clark responded on 29 November 2016 at 4:40pm Reply

Really looking forward to seeing Clare Calvert and Anna Rose O'Sullivan on 4/1/17.

3. Shena W responded on 1 December 2016 at 8:22pm Reply

Magical, enchanting production. Stunning sets, costumes and beautiful dancers. I thought I didn't particularly like the Nutcracker - I have definitely changed my mind! The grand pas de deux was an absolute highlight (wonderful Tchaikovsky) but I loved every minute. So much so, that I just tried to get tickets to go and see it AGAIN - but all sold out aaaaaargh.....

• Rachel Beaumont (Product Manager) responded on 2 December 2016 at 10:41am

Hi Shena,

Very glad to hear you enjoyed The Nutcracker. In case you're interested, Friday Rush provides an opportunity to buy tickets for sold-out shows – extra tickets for each main-stage performance in the following week are released every Friday at 1pm. You can find out more here.

All best,
      Rachel

4. Margaret White responded on 8 December 2016 at 11:03pm Reply

Absolutely fabulous - first time I've seen a traditional Nutcracker. Stunning from beginning to end

5. Mrs Anita Ayling responded on 9 December 2016 at 6:28am Reply

Wow what a night the magic of it all on screen,my two Grandchildren were in this production & to be able to be so close up to them & see their facial expressions was out of this world,an evening to remember, hope there will be many live screenings to come

6. Rita Walker responded on 10 December 2016 at 10:19am Reply

A delightful production,which we watched at the Eastgate Theatre in Peebles.A big problem for my elderly friends and myself was the lack of light.We could hardly see the dancers or the costumes,particularly in the first act.The lovely christmas tree was hardly visible,and my husband didn`t see it at all.The second act was a little better,but not a lot.
    There must be a reason for this,and we would really like to know what it is.
    Rita Walker and friends

• Emma Nevell responded on 12 December 2016 at 12:09pm

Dear Rita,

Many thanks for getting in touch with us - I'm so sorry however that there was such a lack of light throughout the screening. I can say that the feed leaving the Royal Opera House was working well, so most likely this is a local issue. We will follow up with the cinema and hopefully resolve any problems they may have been experiencing, so that the next relay goes forward without a hitch.

With best wishes,
      Emma

7. Constance Anderson responded on 17 December 2016 at 8:04pm Reply

My daughter and I were blessed to attend the glorious December 8th performance on our last night visiting from the USA. Everything from the staging, the sets, the costumes, and the orchestra to the beautiful dancers made this charming production magical! Please let us know when this lovely performance, as well as the BBC’s documentary, will be available on DVD. They will make very special mementos of an unforgettable experience! Merry Christmas to you all and Happy Birthday to Sir Peter Wright!

• Rose Slavin (Former Assistant Content Producer) responded on 20 December 2016 at 3:32pm

Hi Constance,
      Yes, this recording will be released on DVD. Do watch this space for more announcements of the release date.
      All best wishes,
      Rose

8. Nutcracker was brilliant. Every moment was a joy. I watched as many company performers as I could focus on and every single one was in character no matter how hidden they might have been. This was a world class presentation of spellbinding ballet magic.

9. Michael responded on 30 December 2016 at 1:20am Reply

Over nearly 50 years of seeing the RB and Nutcracker, I sometimes get blasé, but on 27th Naghdi/Ball did one of the most exquisite adages I have ever seen. So perfect in so many ways, not just technically!

10. What an exciting performance Yasmine Naghdi and Matthew Ball gave us all on 27th December! So happy I was there to witness their moving and beautiful performance. She is a stunning ballerina in every sense of the word. I have to admit shedding a few tears watching Naghdi dance the Grand Pas Classique with Mr. Ball. It's been a long time since a ballerina managed to move me to tears in a classical variation. Stunning!

11. Mary & Peter responded on 31 December 2016 at 6:46pm Reply

We have just got home from the 31/12 12:30 performance. Ben Ella was superb in the Hans-Peter role! Totally believable and an exciting dancer to watch.

12. Dana Chambers responded on 31 December 2016 at 8:00pm Reply

I went to the live screening with my 88 year old mother. She thought she had stopped liking classical ballet but she was enchanted. I loved loved loved it. I would like to see the ballet live and also the screening one day.

13. Allie responded on 2 January 2017 at 11:36pm Reply

Loved every minute - entire family was mesmerised. Felt for the dancers as not one but three falls on what seemed like a very slippery stage. High five for soldiering on! Hope everyone is ok.

14. Pat responded on 4 January 2017 at 5:22pm Reply

Not one but three falls by the prima ballerinas - very unexpected from ROH. Did they forget to sweep the floor during half time? Hope the ballerinas were OK.