Your reaction: Król Roger 2015

What did you think of Kasper Holten's new production of Szymanowski's King Roger?

By Hayley Bartley (Former Content Producer (Learning))

2 May 2015 at 10.05am | 16 Comments

Press reviews:
Telegraph ★★★★★
Arts Desk (£) ★★★★★
What's On Stage ★★★★★
Times (£) ★★★★
Guardian
★★★★
Financial Times ★★★★
Evening Standard ★★★★
Time Out ★★★★
Bachtrack ★★★★
Music OMH ★★★★
Independent ★★★
New York Times (Positive, 'A rare gem')

What did you think of Król Roger?

By Hayley Bartley (Former Content Producer (Learning))

2 May 2015 at 10.05am

This article has been categorised Opera and tagged by Kasper Holten, Król Roger, Production, review, Social Media, your reaction

1. Philip Boswell responded on 2 May 2015 at 2:12pm Reply

I have loved this opera for over 40 years and was truly delighted to be ably to hear it live on stage at last. Appropriate production very strongly sung and the orchestral playing blew me away. I am lucky enough to have two more tickets for this. One of the most unmissable things ROH has done.

2. Richard Griffiths responded on 2 May 2015 at 2:23pm Reply

I agree it should have been played without an interval. Also the lower slips were not n sale because you wouldn't have been able to see anything. Having seen the production I don't think this would have been the case.

Great debut from Georgia Jarman and I would never have known Mariusz Kwiecien was suffering from a cold.

Also, I was pleased that when we got to the interval there was NO announcement about not leaving bags unattended. Can this now be the norm. Such announcements are unnecessary and always spoil the mood

3. Dianne Young responded on 2 May 2015 at 8:46pm Reply

Absolutely spellbinding production. The opening choral singing reduced me to tears it was so beautiful.
    Yes interval was long but the first 2 acts were so intense I welcomed the chance to catch my breath. Congratulations to everyone involved.

4. Barnabas Palfrey responded on 4 May 2015 at 12:08pm Reply

The production, stage design and singing/playing were simply superb. One of the very best and most intense experiences I have had in Opera.
    I understand the argument against an interval, but at the same time, an interval allows time to discuss interpretation in advance of the even more illuminatory and ambiguous last act. The changing of the set for the last act was also very powerful.
    So long as the interval is spent talking with one's companions about the first two acts, I see no problem.

5. Roger D responded on 5 May 2015 at 4:12pm Reply

Wonderful music. Had not heard this opera before but the performances by all soloists, chorus but most especially the ROH orchestra and Tony Pappano were outstanding. I hope this production will become a regular part of the repertoire. A lost or at least shamefully ignored gem that has been rediscovered.

6. Coppelia responded on 6 May 2015 at 10:56pm Reply

Very much enjoyed the performance tonight from my seat nestled high in the upper slips. The ROH orchestra and chorus really sounded tremendous, loved the choreography and set. An intense gripping production. Some convincingly anguished acting by Mariusz Kwiecień. Loved it!

7. Peter Godwin responded on 7 May 2015 at 10:22am Reply

This opera should be part of the standard repertory.However it was not til Act 3 that the production caught fire (literally) for me. The power of the score was matched at last by something relevant on stage! The start of Act 1 was such a disappointment with no suggestion of a church, just a gentleman in antique evening dress front of a huge head. Then the "palace" was made up of the inside of the head. I do get what the director was aiming at but for me that head got in the way of what should have been the magic of Acts 1 and 2. Fantastic support from the orchestra and great cast.

8. Coppelia responded on 7 May 2015 at 12:59pm Reply

I'd also like to personally thank Kasper Holten for getting Mariusz Kwiecień to go shirtless in Act III. I wouldn't *maenad* a bit of Bacchanalian frenzy with him.... :P

9. Martyn Lowe-Wheeler responded on 10 May 2015 at 7:05am Reply

A stunning production. Overwhelmed by both music and staging. Magnificent singing. This is one of the best things I have seen and heard at the ROH for some years. Difficult to believe this wonderful opera is not performed more regularly. Agree with a number of other comments, suggesting that it would have been much better to have no interval.

10. Heiko responded on 11 May 2015 at 8:14pm Reply

An excellent production with an oustanding cast. I was delighted to be able to see this rarely performed opera again. I was singing in it myself as a child and could not wait to see this production. I especially flew to London from Ireland and it was worth it. Really impressed by Mariusz Kwiecień's performance.

11. David Churchill responded on 16 May 2015 at 8:24pm Reply

I might have enjoyed it if the TV camera some 9 feet from my right ear had not played middle B throughout Acts 1 & 2. if ROH is going to televise opera could they ask for quiet cameras please? The only consolation was my first and probably last time of sitting in the Royal Box for Act 3.

12. David Churchill responded on 16 May 2015 at 9:31pm Reply

Spoke too soon - moved to Royal Box but turfed out just before Act 3 by others already sitting there. So back to previous seats. Mercifully Act 3 was rather louder most of the time so the music nearly managed to stifle the incessant drone from the technology. After over 50 years of opera and ballet attendances this was probably my swan-song.

13. Paul Arrowsmith responded on 20 May 2015 at 9:49am Reply

Yet another production dominated by its over-design - and lack of direction. Presumably it was all conceived to look good in close up on the DVD. How the chorus was(un)managed was particularly rudderless - and the principals scarcely interacted with each other. Stand and deliver of the worst kind. Thanks though for some wonderfully lyrical singing from Samir Pirgu as the shepherd.

14. Stephen Ratcliffe responded on 20 May 2015 at 11:23am Reply

I was clearly at a different performance yesterday! I am generally not a fan of Mr Holten's productions but this one worked for me. Music was haunting and singing excellent. Despite the announcement before Act 3, I thought Mariusz Kwiecień's singing was fantastic throughout and I really enjoyed Samir Pirgu too. And I saw plenty of interaction between everyone on stage.

15. Robert Layton responded on 22 May 2015 at 5:10pm Reply

A superb production. King Roger is an inspired work - I never thought I would see it staged here - or performed so magnificently by the singers and the ROH orchestra, Pappano is completely inside this idiom and cannot be too elowuently praised.

16. Barbara Younis responded on 15 June 2015 at 8:33am Reply

I'm late, having only just seen these comments. Just wanted to add how much I loved this opera, the production, the singing, the orchestra - everything.
    This does not happen often these days as so many productions of recent years have made my blood pressure sky-rocket...
    So, yes, PLEASE bring this - and Mariusz Kwiecień, who was fantastic!! - back very soon.