Win tickets in the Royal Box with our Christmas competition

Take a photo of our festive decorations and you could win tickets to see The Royal Ballet from our Royal Box.

By Mel Spencer (Senior Editor (Social Media))

5 December 2018 at 12.35pm | 14 Comments

We're delighted to share this year's Christmas decorations with you, inspired by both The Royal Opera's new production of Hansel and Gretel and The Royal Ballet's Christmas classic The Nutcracker.

Throughout the Christmas period, the Royal Opera House will be transformed into a magical forest, complete with Christmas wreaths, trees, creepy crawlies, and a giant glacé cherry, inspired by the cherry on the top of Hansel and Gretel's gingerbread house – and we need your help to capture the magic.

Post a photo of our newly-decorated Front of House spaces on Instagram using the hashtag #RoyalOperaHouse and you will be entered into a prize draw to win six Royal Box tickets for an upcoming performance by The Royal Ballet. We're open every day from 10am, so come and take a photo while you're enjoying a coffee in our brand new spaces.

Royal Opera House Christmas Decorations 2018 © 2018 ROH. Photograph by James Bellorini

See the terms and conditions for this competition

By Mel Spencer (Senior Editor (Social Media))

5 December 2018 at 12.35pm

This article has been categorised Off stage and tagged

1. David Hill responded on 17 December 2018 at 4:09pm Reply

studid competition. Like many senior citizens I do not have an instgram account. Even if I did I would have to drive 240miles from Shropshire to take a photo. Thank you for excluding me from your competition.

2. Alexis Cowie responded on 17 December 2018 at 4:44pm Reply

For those of us who make a special trip to go to London for a performance this competition is useless. Not much wonder those of us north of Watford think London ignores us. The whole country would love to win those tickets but this competition clearly excludes us. Shame

• Chris Shipman (Head of Brand Engagement and Social Media) responded on 18 December 2018 at 3:22pm

Hi Alexis,

We regularly run competitions which are open nationally and internationally, including around our BP Big Screen programme which sees us present at sites around the country as well as offering free livestreams internationally.

Do keep an eye out for competitions in the coming weeks, focused around highlights of the 2018 calendar year.

Best wishes,

Chris

• Maralyn Smith responded on 22 December 2018 at 12:31am

I agree with you. We appear to be “country bumpkins” if we’re from north of London and apparently don’t appreciate ballet or culture of any kind. They should get their act together or run competitions just for those who live north of London, excluding all Londoners for a change.

3. Aideen Campbell responded on 17 December 2018 at 5:09pm Reply

Excellent

4. Aurelija Curtis responded on 18 December 2018 at 10:32am Reply

Beautiful pictures and Christmas decorations. I love Royal Opera House. Specially after refurbishing. I adore teatre , baler and good muzik. For me Royal Opera House something big something to celebrate. Thank you.
    Regards
    Aurelija Curtis

5. Mrs Geraldine H Taylor responded on 18 December 2018 at 2:38pm Reply

Maybe I don't know enough but why the stag beetle? I've seen a few real ones but these would put me off my food! Otherwise the decorations are great. Sadly, due to a forthcoming operation, I cannot come to a ballet or London for some time. Best wishes to you all.

• Chris Shipman (Head of Brand Engagement and Social Media) responded on 18 December 2018 at 3:26pm

Hi Geraldine,

Thanks for your comment. The front of house decorations are inspired by The Nutcracker and Hansel and Gretel, the latter of which has inspired the beetle motif

Best wishes,

Chris

6. Amy Bellingham responded on 20 December 2018 at 9:46am Reply

Looks and sounds amazing.

7. Helen responded on 23 December 2018 at 1:45pm Reply

Does your Instagram have to be public for this- my account is set to private- presumably there is no point in me trying to enter as only my invited friends will see the post?

8. lizzie crossley responded on 2 January 2019 at 5:15pm Reply

I agree that rarely does the north of england get a special competition.... let alone from your lovely opera house. I wandered around it in early December - it looked gorgeous.

9. Kevin responded on 13 January 2019 at 10:08am Reply

May I ask, has the winner been announced?

This competition really appealed to me. I made several trips to the ROH to take some photos - and found out how to set up and use an Instagram account just for this.

• Kevin responded on 15 January 2019 at 10:09am

I wasn't really sure how this competition, which I enjoyed, was being organised. If you search for "#royaloperahouse" there are 10,000s of photos. When I added my photos they were near the top of the search at first, but soon were a long, long way down the list. How would you tell which ones are intended as entries to the competition? How would you decide who to put into the draw for the winner? How would you contact the winner? Instagram doesn't display email addresses and doesn't seem to allow private messages - or any messages?

I did enjoy the competition as it was a new challenge.

• Chris Shipman (Head of Brand Engagement and Social Media) responded on 15 January 2019 at 12:35pm

Hi Kevin,

A winner has been contacted via Instagram, yes and we'll announce this once they've confirmed. The platform does allow private messages.
      Regarding qualification for entry, as detailed in the T&Cs, entries were valid as long as they were shared as a standard Instagram 'wall/feed post' using the hashtag between the dates of 5 December 2018 and 6 January 2019.

Glad you enjoyed the competition and hope you'll enter future contests!

Best wishes,