Watch: Lauren Cuthbertson in Nowness short film Portrait of a Dancer

New web short features the Royal Ballet Principal discussing her return from severe injury, and dancing a piece by Alastair Marriott.

By Ottilie Thornhill (Winner of the Kings Cultural Challenge)

16 September 2015 at 3.31pm | 7 Comments

Royal Ballet Principal Lauren Cuthbertson is the subject of a new short film by Andrew Margetson for online video channel Nowness.

Portrait of a Dancer explores the risks of injury that dancers face and sees Lauren discuss her return from a near-career-ending injury last year. ‘Margot Fonteyn said, “If audiences knew what pain the dancers were enduring, only people who enjoyed bullfights could bear to watch it”’, says Lauren in the film.

‘At the beginning of last Season I was performing with Carlos Acosta. I went into the last slide and my foot completely pounded onto the stage. It was as if someone had shot my ankle… In that moment I doubted whether I would ever dance again.’

Cuthbertson’s graceful performance of Alastair Marriott's choreography makes up the second part of the black and white film, showcasing the dancer’s return to top form.

Fully recovered, Lauren will next be on stage with The Royal Ballet in Romeo and Juliet in which she will dance the female lead next month. She can also be seen later in the 2015/16 Season dancing the role of the Sugar Plum Fairy in The Nutcracker.

Lauren Cuthbertson's upcoming Royal Ballet performances during autumn and winter 2015/16 include roles in Romeo and Juliet, Tchaikovsky Pas de deux, The Two Pigeons and The Nutcracker

By Ottilie Thornhill (Winner of the Kings Cultural Challenge)

16 September 2015 at 3.31pm

This article has been categorised Ballet and tagged Film, Lauren Cuthbertson, Nowness, online, short

1. Karin Mortow responded on 16 September 2015 at 8:45pm Reply

Simply striking and beautifully controlled

2. Roger Handley responded on 16 September 2015 at 8:48pm Reply

Like so many of your fans I was devastated to hear about your injury, and missed seeing your performances, and am delighted to see you back again this season. So very good luck with everything you do'''. Needless to say I have booked you in 4 so far'''.

3. trevor l responded on 17 September 2015 at 7:06am Reply

Fantastic dancer. Fantastic woman. Can't wait for October 1st.

4. Valerie Knight responded on 17 September 2015 at 2:55pm Reply

So glad Lauren is back. She is my favourite ballerina. So graceful, so expressive. Looking forward to Tchaikovsky Pas de deux on 31 Oct. Also Nutcracker live relay and in Two Pigeons.

5. Norma Kearney responded on 17 September 2015 at 8:11pm Reply

Elegant and so graceful!!

6. I wish Lauren a complete fulfillment in her artistic career. Her talent and qualities are self evident, bur what is so special is her extraordinary personality.
    I was in RB when Fonteyn danced and always remember those qualities Laura seems to reflect so vividly.

7. So disappointed not to see you in Manon, Romeo & Juliet on Blu Ray is a poor substitute. Kicking myself I never saw Darcey at ROH, stay injury free, I will get there!