Opera Europa live-streaming platform launches with a relay of La traviata from Teatro Real, Madrid on 8 May 2015

The Opera Platform will offer relays from 15 European opera houses, beginning with David McVicar’s new production of Verdi’s classic.

By Rose Slavin (Former Assistant Content Producer)

7 May 2015 at 10.09am | 8 Comments

The Opera Platform is a partnership between Opera Europa and the cultural broadcasting channel ARTE. It is supported by the European Commission’s Creative Europe Programme and the European Broadcasting Union.

By Rose Slavin (Former Assistant Content Producer)

7 May 2015 at 10.09am

This article has been categorised Opera, Screening and tagged by Kasper Holten, David Mcvicar, Król Roger, La traviata, live stream, Madrid, Opera Europa, Production, Teatro Real

1. I am very excited to see this production. I love Traviata, especially the second act. I will watch.

2. David responded on 8 May 2015 at 9:10pm Reply

Splendid opening to this new venture. I couldn't find the subtitles . . .

3. Kevin B responded on 10 May 2015 at 12:18am Reply

This certainly looked like a very good production of la Traviata*, but for me it was spoiled by a lack of subtitles and a very poor sound quality.

I watched the live broadcast last night and then tried again with a stream this afternoon and the sound was again poor.

Fortunately for me, I know this opera quite well, but having to lip read Italian and do my own translation during some of Violeta's quieter moments was quite a chore.

I would love to be able to point my friends to this production and say; "There! This is Opera. This is what it's all about!", and with this production I could, if only the redistribution had been acceptable.

Oberaplatform is a wonderful idea, but if it is to broaden the fan base for opera, it needs to get things right,

ps. I know very little about the opera Krol Roger so the volume and subtitles had better be good next weekend. Lip reading in Polish is not my forte.

pps. Sir David appears to have interpreted the libretto very well in this production, so if the ROH ever feel the need to replace the great Eyre's version, this might not be too bad of a replacement.

* Richard Eyre's ROH production of La Traviata is still the gold standard for me and I am confident that Yoncheva will give us all a Violetta to match the best when I attend in a couple of weeks.

4. Kevin B responded on 10 May 2015 at 1:26am Reply

OK, I've now just noticed that Yoncheva will not be performing Violetta at ROH this month, but if Ms Rebeka can act as well as she sings there will be no problems.

Let us also wish Sonya the best in her recovery and hope that her later performances will not be affected.

5. One question - how on earth does one get onto the site? I've not seen a single URL published, and the Opera Europa website doesn't give any details that I can see.
    I'm hoping that I can find out before Krol Roger

• Chris Shipman (Head of Brand Engagement and Social Media) responded on 11 May 2015 at 2:47pm

Hi Peter,

You can watch all the streams via http://www.theoperaplatform.eu/en

The Krol Roger stream will also be available via the ROH YouTube channel and website. I'd suggest subscribing to the YouTube channel to ensure you don't miss any future streamings - we've some exciting plans ahead!

Thanks,

Chris
      ROH Content Producer

6. Jim Cubie responded on 7 June 2015 at 8:32pm Reply

The website told me Wagner was coming on about 3 pm in the us. But when i clicked on the play arrow around that time the opera was in its last act. I also could not find the English surtitles.

• Ellen West (Head of Creative Studios and Digital Products) responded on 8 June 2015 at 1:07pm

Dear Jim

I've forwarded your comment on to the Opera Europa team.

Best wishes