COVID-19: The Royal Opera House is currently closed to the public, with all performances cancelled until 19 April. We are contacting those who hold tickets for these cancelled performances.

Cast Changes: Strapless on 11 March 2016

A number of cast changes have been announced for the final performance of the run.

By Rose Slavin (Former Assistant Content Producer)

10 March 2016 at 4.41pm | 9 Comments

A number of cast changes for Strapless have been announced for the performance on 11 March 2016.

Due to injury, Lauren Cuthbertson will replace Natalia Osipova as Amélie Gautreau. This necessitates the following cast changes:

Valeri Hristov will replace Edward Watson as John Singer Sargent, Reece Clarke will replace Federico Bonelli as Dr Samuel-Jean Pozzi and Calvin Richardson will replace Matthew Ball as Albert de Belleroche.

If you have a ticket please see terms and conditions of sale.

By Rose Slavin (Former Assistant Content Producer)

10 March 2016 at 4.41pm

This article has been categorised Uncategorised and tagged cast change

1. Peter Harrington responded on 10 March 2016 at 6:27pm Reply

Oh great, this is a cast that I have no interest to see.... Ms Osipova should leave as this is the 3rd time I expected to see her and each time....injury.
    Very disappointed.

• Kadeem Hosein responded on 10 March 2016 at 9:29pm

While I completely agree that Natalia's injuries and subsequent cancellations are very irritating, I think that Lauren is far greater in the role (not sure if you've seen her perform it before). I saw both casts and by far prefer Lauren!

2. Vera Dubrovina responded on 10 March 2016 at 9:30pm Reply

echoing the comment above - 3rd ballet bought to see Osipova and 3rd time she is injured. Obviously wish her swift recovery but very very disappointing.

3. Stephen Taylor responded on 11 March 2016 at 4:48am Reply

I've seen both casts, and can tell you that at least two of these "substitutions" are definite improvements, especially Reece Clarke's incendiary Dr. Pozzi. Only Watson is not ideally replaced. Cuthbertson finds much more emotional fragility in Amelie than Osipova managed, I thought, which grounds the ballet better, in my opinion. And this is/will be the EIGHTH Osipova no-show I've had tickets for, so you needn't feel quite so personally hard-done by....

• peter responded on 11 March 2016 at 10:37am

Thank you - good to know that, not too worried about missing Osipova but will miss Mr Watson ... a lot!

• Jakegee responded on 11 March 2016 at 11:50am

I completely agree with your opinion. I saw both casts 12th &13th February and enjoyed this cast much more than the 'Osipova' cast. Osipova was much too aloof and lacked Lauren's excellent characterisation and emotional vulnerability. Also, Reece Clarke was a perfect Dr. Pozzi, so much so that I then managed to get a ticket for last night's performance to see the Lauren / Reece cast again! (I love your adjective 'incendiary' - they were indeed smouldering!) It was again a superlative performance. Now I have just returned from Covent Garden, having successfully queued for a ticket for tonight! Not only do I see the Lauren / Reece cast in "Strapless"for the third time, but also the other casts in "After the Rain" and "Within the Golden Hour" for a second time.

No disrespect to Thiago & Marianela, but my only sadness is that I won't see Reece partnering Zenaida again in the heart-rending "After the Rain" which was such a delight and privilege to have seen twice.

4. Maggie responded on 11 March 2016 at 12:23pm Reply

Infuriating. I saw this cast last night and have been looking forward for MONTHS to seeing Watson, Bonelli and Ball tonight. Sorry that Osipova's injuries stop her performing (although I consider myself lucky to have seen her replacements, Anna Tsygankova with Golding in Don Quixote last year and Sarah Lamb in Giselle last month, and of course Lauren is lovely), but this is sad news for Watson's fans.

5. Elena responded on 11 March 2016 at 1:24pm Reply

Dearest Natalia Osipova!

I never saw you on the stage, and was so much hoping to see you tonight!

All my heartiest wishes for your speedy recovery and for your good health and Happiness in your art and in your life!

Your Russian admirers from Saint-Petersburg- London

6. midsman responded on 11 March 2016 at 4:25pm Reply

Sometimes,i think it was better in the old days when you rarely knew about a cast change until you got to the theatre.i thought Cutherbertson excellent...about the only good thing in the ballet