Cast change: The Sleeping Beauty on 20 February 2017

Akane Takada to dance the role of Princess Aurora, replacing Francesca Hayward.

By Mel Spencer (Senior Editor (Social Media))

20 February 2017 at 1.35pm | 5 Comments

A cast change has been announced for the performance of The Sleeping Beauty tonight (20 February 2017).

Due to illness, Francesca Hayward is replaced by Akane Takada as Princess Aurora.

The rest of the cast remains the same.

If you have a ticket please see terms and conditions of sale.

By Mel Spencer (Senior Editor (Social Media))

20 February 2017 at 1.35pm

This article has been categorised Ballet and tagged Akane Takada, Ballet, by Marius Petipa, Francesca Hayward, Production, The Sleeping Beauty

1. Geoffrey Paul Enright responded on 20 February 2017 at 7:49pm Reply

Get well soon Miss Hayward.

2. Patrick Buckingham responded on 21 February 2017 at 11:49am Reply

I had booked this ticket a while back to see Francesca debut as Aurora and was disappointed that she could not perform last night. The fact that Akane had gamely stepped in at the last minute greatly compensated as she is every bit as interesting to watch as Francesca. And so it proved to be. Akane personifies sparkle which is reinforced by a steely technique. Even the superlative technical test of the Rose Adagio did not seem to phase her (and I was close enough to the stage to see the effort required to maintain balance). Alexander Campbell also impressed me greatly. It can't be easy to dance with a different Aurora and he more than played his part, with plenty of poised partnering and some impressive jumps. I'd also throw in a plaudit for Claire Calvert who is one of the more ethereal Lilac Fairies I have seen. I do hope Francesca recovers quickly and am very glad that she and Akane are likely to grace the Covent Garden stage for years to come.

3. Siobhan Lambertsen responded on 21 February 2017 at 1:53pm Reply

I would echo what the last commentator said. I was really looking forward to seeing Francesca Hayward (I wish her a speedy recovery) but Akane Takada was incredible. Her musicality and effortless technique and humming-bird quick feet were magical to watch. I also remember that I was there when Natalia Osipova sadly fell and was injured in the first Act of Don Quixote a couple of years ago and couldn’t continue. Akana Takada stepped in then literally at the last minute during the interval, had a quick warm up and danced Kitri for the second two acts pretty much perfectly. She was dazzling. With not a hint of nerves or lack of rehearsal with a new partner showing. What a star.
    I also thought Claire Clavert was wonderful as the Lilac Fairy and she has the most beautifully arched feet I’ve ever seen.

4. Jean-Claude Cluzel responded on 21 February 2017 at 9:35pm Reply

As I came from Paris especially to see Francesca Hayward, I was hugely disappointed not to see her. I must admit though that Akane Takada was absolutely amazing and magnificent. Her partnering with Alexander Campbell was faultless.
    As the Lilac Fairy, Claire Calvert was radiant.
    The whole performance was beautiful.

5. Dickie Mackness responded on 4 May 2017 at 10:10am Reply

Due to the physical demands of ballet on the body it's hardly surprising that injury will happen from time to time. One mustn't be too set on seeing a certain dancer. The depth and quality of the dancers at The Royal Ballet always covers for such and I'm sure no one is short changed! I'm 54 and attend ballet classes with Miss Claire in Cheltenham as a way of keeping fit and defeating Lyme Desease. I've found a new lease of life and a massive interest in ballet as an artform and spectacle. Suffice to say I'd be bitterly disappointed if Miss Lamb were not performing at this evenings performance! Dickie Mackness