Cast change: Kristin Lewis to sing in Don Carlo

American soprano to replace Krassimira Stoyanova in the role of Elizabeth of Valois.

By Chris Shipman (Head of Brand Engagement and Social Media)

26 April 2017 at 3.12pm | 11 Comments

Due to illness, Bulgarian soprano Krassimira Stoyanova has withdrawn from singing the role of Elizabeth of Valois in Don Carlo. The role of Elizabeth of Valois will now be sung in all performances by American soprano Kristin Lewis, making her Royal Opera debut.

Kristin Lewis has recently sung the roles of Amelia in Un ballo in maschera and Aida for Vienna State Opera, Leonora in Il trovatore and Mimì in La bohème for La Fenice, Venice, and Bess in Porgy and Bess for La Scala, Milan.

The rest of the Don Carlo cast remains unchanged.

If you have a ticket please see terms and conditions of sale.

By Chris Shipman (Head of Brand Engagement and Social Media)

26 April 2017 at 3.12pm

This article has been categorised Opera and tagged by Nicholas Hytner, cast change, Kristin Lewis

1. Anna Emma Sue Voigt responded on 27 April 2017 at 10:25am Reply

Yes, she's currently hired for verdian parts, but, I heard her Leonora at La Fenice (twice) and she was unable to fill the part.
    Elisabetta is technically less difficult though, but needs a darker voice.

2. Tom responded on 27 April 2017 at 2:19pm Reply

A cast change is often a disappointment but I assume ROH had few to choose from at such short notice so have had to take whoever they could get.

• Mel Spencer (Senior Editor (Social Media)) responded on 27 April 2017 at 3:42pm

Hi Tom,

Thanks for your comment. Yes, it is unfortunate when we are forced to change a cast for a performance, and we try to keep them to a minimum. However, we will always aim to replace any role with a singer of the highest standard. We're very excited about Kristin Lewis's Royal Opera debut and hope you enjoy her performances.

Many thanks,

Mel

3. John M. responded on 29 April 2017 at 9:31am Reply

What a pity that Ms Stoyanova has had to withdraw! She is, along with Harteros, Netrebko and Radvanovsky, one of the best Verdi sopranos around. That said, it is always good to have the opportunity to hear a singer new to Covent Garden and I am looking forward to hearing and seeing Kristin Lewis for the first time. I wish her every success.

4. John B responded on 5 May 2017 at 7:55am Reply

And yet Ms Stoyanova is listed at the Vienna State Opera for the same role at the same time. Was she offered more money in Vienna or couldn't be bothered to come to London?

• J Rupp responded on 18 May 2017 at 11:09pm

Stoyanova is not listed on the Staatsoper schedule for April or May.

5. Simon Bostic responded on 5 May 2017 at 5:00pm Reply

Whilst I do appreciate that illness is sometimes unavoidable, it does seem that cast withdrawals at Covent Garden are far more of a problem than at other houses. All three of the next operas I am due to see at ROH have had major cast changes which seriously undermine the reputational quality of the cast who have been lined up. To lose both Mr Tezier and MS Stoyanova from the cast of Don Carlo is really a terrrible shaem. Along with this we have lost Rolando Villazon from L'Elisir D'Amore and Annette Frisch from the crucial role of Sifare in Mitridate to be replaced with complete unknowns with very little experience on major stages. Whilst the replacements for Don Carlo are acceptable, the replacements for the others are not and a much longer time period was given for the house to find better replacements. I do wonder what is happening at ROH management at present.

• Melissa responded on 27 May 2017 at 12:20pm

Everyone is unknown at the beginning of their career and sometimes the understudy or replacement may well surprise you Always wait to be surprised, it's better than waiting to be disappointed...and to clarify...I can't claim to know much about opera, nor do I know much about food, but it works the same way, you can spoil the experience if you are too picky

6. Lynne H responded on 10 May 2017 at 4:53pm Reply

A huge thank you for giving me a day to remember. That Don Carlo dress rehearsal was simply out of this world wonderful - I never even wanted to wriggle in my seat - not a single longeur, wonderful singing, great production and just such a privilege to be there.

7. Jess Gok responded on 13 May 2017 at 10:29am Reply

I saw the performance last night. Kristin is absolutely amazing. Completely flawless. I am so surprised this is her debut! She is now one of my favourite singers. Thank you.

8. Daniela Pantica responded on 13 May 2017 at 4:18pm Reply

Initially I wanted to re-sell the tickets when I've heard about these replacements in Don Carlo. I haven't and watching the debut of Kristin Lewis. She was magnificent! Such a graceful and powerful personality! A beautiful performance! The cast change must have been such a great opportunity for Kristin! and a delight for the audience!