Cast change: Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland on 27 September and 9, 23 October 2017

Laura Morera will replace Zenaida Yanowsky in the role of the Queen of Hearts.

By Mel Spencer (Senior Editor (Social Media))

26 September 2017 at 4.01pm | 11 Comments

Due to injury, it has been necessary to make the following cast change for a performance of The Royal Ballet's Alice's Adventures in Wonderland:

Laura Morera will replace Zenaida Yanowsky in the role of the Queen of Hearts on Monday 9 and Monday 23 October 2017. As previously announced, Laura Morera also performed the role on 27 September.

A full list of casting can be seen on the Alice's Adventures in Wonderland production page.

If you have a ticket please see terms and conditions of sale.

By Mel Spencer (Senior Editor (Social Media))

26 September 2017 at 4.01pm

This article has been categorised Uncategorised and tagged cast change

1. Sue Cardy responded on 27 September 2017 at 9:15am Reply

Helpful to know, a bit disappointing but sure I will love the ballet as much as I did last time!

2. Isabel del Rio responded on 28 September 2017 at 8:46am Reply

I wish we had been told beforehand about this change in the cast! We bought tickets for the performance of Wed 27th specifically to see Zenaida Yanowsky above everyone else. She is the most outstanding dancer and we miss her enormously now that she has retired. The ROH should have emailed patrons to tell us of this last-minute cast change. When we arrived last night at the ROH and checked the programme we realised that Morera was dancing instead of Yanowsky. So before the performance I asked your staff about this change in the cast, and they said that there had been no changes announced. I was left feeling rather stupid, as I thought I had made a silly mistake when booking. Surely your staff should have know about this important last minute change! Had the ROH advised us about the change, I would have certainly returned the tickets. As wonderful as all ROH dancers are, there is no one as committed and brilliant as Yanowsky, a true artist. I am extremely disappointed about you not letting us know of this change before the performance. I look forward to your comments, Isabel

• Mel Spencer (Senior Editor (Social Media)) responded on 28 September 2017 at 6:09pm

Hi Elizabeth,

I'm sorry to hear about your frustrating experience. Unfortunately, this cast change came too quickly for us to send an email to ticket bookers - in the case of unexpected cast changes like this, we announce the change on the website and on Twitter.

I've passed your message on to Front of House who will be in touch with you directly about the information you received from ROH staff.

All the best,

Mel

• ML responded on 1 October 2017 at 6:19am

Isabel, unfortunately it was only known on 26 September. Because it was known when the cast sheets for the programmes were printed, I guess the front of house staff did not regard it as a cast change from the original cast announced. (I have to say the best source of casting information is usually this website- you have to check it constantly.) Not sure if you can do much about it if you had known before you went but if you are free next month, you can check the website regularly to see if there are last minute ticket returns for the remaining two performances scheduled for Zenaida.

3. Wendy responded on 28 September 2017 at 4:24pm Reply

I have to say I was looking forward to seeing Yanowsky back doing the Queen of Hearts but Morera was incredible last night! The whole production and cast (27th Sept) was an amazing experience!

4. Isabel del Rio responded on 1 October 2017 at 10:49am Reply

Thank you very much for your message and action, Mel. I have to point out that I follow ROH on Twitter, and there was no notification of the cast change that day. I have gone through your tweets in case I missed something, but on Wednesday there was only a tweet on “Take a peek into rehearsals” with a link. Luckily yesterday I managed to get two tickets for the performance on 9th October, with Yanowsky - they are obviously returned tickets as the performance is completely sold out. Best wishes, Isabel

5. Adam responded on 6 October 2017 at 6:05pm Reply

Very sorry to hear about Zenaida Yanowsky's injury. What a pity. Sadly, that is part of live theatre. However, I'm sure Laura will be wonderful, I'm really looking forward to seeing her and the rest of the cast (at my cinema in Manchester). Excitement building already!

6. Alison responded on 10 October 2017 at 1:03am Reply

And where was the announcement about Ed Watson being replaced as the White Rabbit in the rest of the run, please? Not that I mind seeing James Hay, but he is doing an awful lot of the performances.

• Alison responded on 10 October 2017 at 1:10am

... The cast change was obviously made in time to print the cast sheets, so it can't have been that late, and it's inconsistent to say the least to make an announcement about changed Red Queen casting but not White Rabbit casting. These casting announcements are all over the place, which is not helpful.