An intimate Victorian theatre located around the corner from the Royal Opera House on the Strand.
The Vaudeville Theatre is the third on its site on the Strand, and opened in 1926. It has a seating capacity of 681. The first theatre on the site opened in 1870, designed by architect C.J. Phipps and with a seating capacity of 1,000. In 1889 the theatre was expanded, again designed by Phipps. The new theatre opened in 1891, and later that year gave the English premieres of Ibsen’s Rosmersholm and Hedda Gabler.
In 1892 the theatre came into the ownership of Agostino and Stefano Gatti, who in 1925 closed the theatre for a complete interior reconstruction by architect Robert Atkinson. The new theatre opened in 1926 and in 1969 came under ownership of Peter Saunders, then under Michael Codron in 1983, Sir Stephen Waley-Cohen in 1996 and Max Weitzenhoffer, its current owner, in 2001.
Related news and features
11 December 2014
What did you think of Will Tuckett's adaptation of Kenneth Grahame's classic novel, starring Alan Titchmarsh?
12 September 2014
Broadcaster and author makes his West End debut in Will Tuckett's acclaimed production.
5 June 2014
Will Tuckett's Olivier Award-winning production will play an eight-week season at the Vaudeville Theatre.