An inclusive church in London’s Covent Garden, with a well-established music tradition and a history of supporting contemporary arts.
London’s Swiss Church was established in 1762 as the Eglise Helvétique by expatriates from Geneva, Vaud and Neuchâtel. The church was originally based in Leicester Fields, and in 1775 moved to a purpose-built ‘Helvetic Chapel’ in Soho. The current building on Endell Street, designed by architect George Vulliamy, was inaugurated in 1855. It was rebuilt 1946–9 after bomb damage during World War II, and in 2008–11 underwent a major renovation project led by Swiss architects Christ & Gantenbein, to restore and enhance the building.
Music and art play important roles in the activities of the Swiss Church. The church hosts regular recitals by internationally recognized artists, including in classical music, jazz and world music. The Swiss Church’s work in visual arts includes hosting film screenings and exhibitions and inviting artists to create or curate works specific to the renovated building and its spiritual framework.