An opulently decorated room providing a luxurious dining area as well as an intimate performance space.
The Crush Room is part of the original historic building, built in 1858 as part of the foyer for the auditorium. Many of its fittings, including its chandeliers and oil paintings, have been in place since 1858, or have been attentively restored in the original style. The adjoining Conservatory was added in 1899, and can be seen from Bow Street, behind the grand colonnade of the neoclassical facade.
During main-stage performances the Crush Room fulfils its original function as a dining and rest area. The Crush Room is also the venue for the free lunchtime rehearsal series, which features members of the Jette Parker Young Artists Programme, the Orchestra of the Royal Opera House, the Royal Opera Chorus and visiting ensembles and soloists.
Related news and features
6 September 2012
We take a look at what goes on at the Royal Opera House over the summer.