How the Whale Became
Ted Hughes’s magical stories provide inspiration for a new Royal Opera commission by Julian Philips and Edward Kemp.
When to see it
Booking for 3 December 2013 - 4 January 2014 opens
- Booking opens 9 July 2013 at 10.00am for General Public.
- Booking opens 12 June 2013 at 10.00am for Friends of Covent Garden.
- Booking opens 4 June 2013 at 10.00am for Supporting Friends.
- Booking opens 31 May 2013 at 10.00am for Premium 1 Friends.
- Booking opens 30 May 2013 at 10.00am for Premium 2 Friends.
How the Whale Became PREVIEWTuesday 3 December 2013, 7.00pm | Linbury Studio Theatre
How the Whale Became PREVIEWWednesday 4 December 2013, 7.00pm | Linbury Studio Theatre
How the Whale Became PREVIEWThursday 5 December 2013, 2.00pm | Linbury Studio Theatre
Have you ever wondered why whales are so huge? Why foxes are crafty or why polar bears have white coats? The answers to all these questions and more are found in this enchanting family opera by composer Julian Philips and librettist Edward Kemp. The work draws inspiration from Ted Hughes’s well-loved story collection The Dreamfighter and Other Creation Tales.
The Linbury Studio Theatre will be transformed into a magical world by director Natalie Abrahami and designer Tom Scutt. A diverse ensemble of singers and musicians will bring to life witty and irreverent tales that are sure to keep everyone, from ages 5 and over, engrossed and delighted.
Generous philanthropic support from
The Royal Opera House Endowment Fund
|Lighting design||James Farncombe|