Principal of The Royal Ballet
Edward Watson is a Principal of The Royal Ballet and one of the leading dancers in Britain today. He has gained particular acclaim for his interpretation of Principal roles in the MacMillan repertory, including Crown Prince Rudolf (Mayerling), Romeo, The Chosen One (The Rite of Spring), Woyzeck (Different Drummer) and roles in Gloria and Song of the Earth, as well as for many other classical and contemporary roles.
Born in Bromley, South London, he started going to ballet lessons at the age of three with his twin sister and joined The Royal Ballet School at the age of 11. He graduated into The Royal Ballet in 1994 and was promoted to Principal in 2005. Watson's extraordinary flexibility has made him a muse for The Royal Ballet's Resident Choreographer Wayne McGregor and Artistic Associate Christopher Wheeldon. Role creations for McGregor include Symbiont(s), Qualia, Chroma, Infra, Limen, Carbon Life, Raven Girl and Tetractys – The Art of Fugue, and for Wheeldon Lewis Carroll/The White Rabbit (Alice's Adventures in Wonderland) and Leontes (The Winter's Tale). Watson has worked with numerous other contemporary choreographers, including Ashley Page, Siobhan Davies, Arthur Pita and Cathy Marston, whom he has known from childhood.
Other significant roles with the Company include Count Albrecht (Giselle), Des Grieux (Manon), Palemon (Ondine) and Ivan Tsarevich (The Firebird). In 2012 Watson received an Olivier Award for Outstanding Achievement in Dance for his role as Gregor Samsa in Pita’s The Metamorphosis.
The Winter's Tale
Cast as Leontes
The world premiere of a new full-length ballet by Artistic Associate Christopher Wheeldon, based on Shakespeare’s enduring tale of love, loss and reconciliation.
DGV: Danse à grande vitesse
Cast as Principal
Christopher Wheeldon channels the hurtling momentum of Michael Nyman’s music in choreography of thrilling propulsion.
Cast as Principal
The world premiere of a new work by acclaimed choreographer and Royal Ballet Principal Character Artist Alastair Marriott.
Cast as Des Grieux
Kenneth MacMillan's acclaimed tragic ballet is a modern masterpiece.
- Tetractys - The Art of Fugue... (08:42)
- The Metamorphosis - interview (04:07)
- How ballet dancers prepare... (04:15)
- Mayerling trailer (The Royal... (01:08)
- Edward Watson preparing for... (06:29)
- Creating Alice's Adventures... (07:20)
- Mayerling Masterclass - The... (11:47)
- The Metamorphosis - Making... (03:00)
- Monotones II rehearsal - The... (03:34)
- Alexei Ratmansky rehearses 24... (07:45)
- The Royal Ballet artists on... (03:14)
- The Metamorphosis - Royal... (00:39)
- Royal Opera House Cinema... (04:48)
- Royal Ballet Daily Class... (15:41)
- Romeo and Juliet sword-fight... (10:49)
- A World Stage 2011/12 -... (00:58)
- Interviews: Remembering... (01:56)
- Infra Trailer - Royal Ballet (02:15)
News and features
Royal Ballet Principal Edward Watson to sign copies of the DVD at the Royal Opera House Shop on 7 February.
Acclaimed production isn’t just about dance, it’s also about treacle.
Audience tweets about Arthur Pita's dance theatre adaptation of Kafka's novella.
Look under the bonnet of two new ballets with their choreographers and members of The Royal Ballet.
Fashion, dance and photography brought together in works by Rick Guest.
From The Rite of Spring to Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, ballet's specially-created roles.