Principal of The Royal Ballet
Edward Watson is a Principal of The Royal Ballet and one of the leading dancers in Britain today. He has gained particular acclaim for his interpretation of Principal roles in the MacMillan repertory, including Crown Prince Rudolf (Mayerling), Romeo, The Chosen One (The Rite of Spring), Woyzeck (Different Drummer) and roles in Gloria and Song of the Earth, as well as for many other classical and contemporary roles.
Born in Bromley, South London, he started going to ballet lessons at the age of three with his twin sister and joined The Royal Ballet School at the age of 11. He graduated into The Royal Ballet in 1994 and was promoted to Principal in 2005. Watson's extraordinary flexibility has made him the perfect muse for Resident Choreographer of The Royal Ballet Wayne McGregor. He has created roles in McGregor’s Symbiont(s), Qualia, Chroma, Infra, Limen, Carbon Life, Raven Girl and Tetractys – The Art of Fugue, among others works. Watson has also worked with numerous other contemporary choreographers, including Ashley Page, Siobhan Davies, Christopher Wheeldon, Arthur Pita and Cathy Marston, whom he has known from childhood.
Other significant roles with the Company include Count Albrecht (Giselle), Des Grieux (Manon), Oberon (The Dream), Palemon (Ondine), Ivan Tsarevich (The Firebird) and Lewis Carroll/The White Rabbit (Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland). In 2012 Watson received an Olivier Award for Outstanding Achievement in Dance for his role as Gregor Samsa in Pita’s The Metamorphosis.
The Winter's Tale
Cast as Leontes
The world premiere of a new full-length ballet by Artistic Associate Christopher Wheeldon, based on Shakespeare’s enduring tale of love, loss and reconciliation.
DGV: Danse à grande vitesse
Cast as Principal
Christopher Wheeldon channels the hurtling momentum of Michael Nyman’s music in choreography of thrilling propulsion.
Cast as Principal
The world premiere of a new work by acclaimed choreographer and Royal Ballet Principal Character Artist Alastair Marriott.
- Tetractys - The Art of Fugue... (08:42)
- The Metamorphosis - interview (04:07)
- How ballet dancers prepare... (04:15)
- Mayerling trailer (The Royal... (01:08)
- Edward Watson preparing for... (06:29)
- Creating Alice's Adventures... (07:20)
- Mayerling Masterclass - The... (11:47)
- The Metamorphosis - Making... (03:00)
- Monotones II rehearsal - The... (03:34)
- Alexei Ratmansky rehearses 24... (07:45)
- The Royal Ballet artists on... (03:14)
- The Metamorphosis - Royal... (00:39)
- Royal Opera House Cinema... (04:48)
- Royal Ballet Daily Class... (15:41)
- Romeo and Juliet sword-fight... (10:49)
- A World Stage 2011/12 -... (00:58)
- Interviews: Remembering... (01:56)
- Infra Trailer - Royal Ballet (02:15)
News and features
Watch Wayne McGregor rehearse with Lauren Cuthbertson, Natalia Osipova, Eric Underwood and Edward Watson.
A look at the development of the male dancer.
Christopher Wheeldon, Edward Watson and Natalia Osipova among those nominated.
A selection of your tweets and picnic pics from the first of this year's outdoor relays, which saw Mara Galeazzi's farewell.
Mara Galeazzi and Edward Watson give a behind the scenes look at a vital process as part of our Pointe Shoe Appeal
Acclaimed production isn’t just about dance, it’s also about treacle.