Antonio Pappano is Music Director of The Royal Opera. He was born of Italian parents in London, where from an early age he played the piano for his father’s singing pupils. As a teenager he moved with his family to the USA.
His love of opera and theatre was sparked when he worked as a répétiteur at New York City Opera, at the age of 21. He subsequently worked at Gran Teatre del Liceu in Barcelona, Frankfurt Opera, Lyric Opera of Chicago and the Bayreuth Festival, where he was assistant to Daniel Barenboim. Pappano made his conducting debut in Oslo in 1987 and his Covent Garden debut three years later. He was appointed Music Director of the Théâtre Royal de la Monnaie in Brussels at the age of 32. He took up his current post with The Royal Opera in 2002 and has since conducted an extensive range of productions from Mozart to Berg, as well as the world premieres of Birtwistle’s The Minotaur (2008) and Turnage’s Anna Nicole (2011).
Pappano has conducted symphonic repertoire widely in the United States and Europe and is Music Director of the Orchestra dell’Accademia Nazionale di Santa Cecilia. He has also made many recordings, as both conductor and pianist, principally for the EMI label. He has received many awards and in May 2012 was made Cavaliere di Gran Croce dell’Ordine al Merito della Repubblica Italiana. In January 2012 he received a knighthood for services to music.
- Parsifal: An introduction... (06:05)
- Antonio Pappano and Simon... (04:43)
- Members of the cast and... (06:15)
- Antonio Pappano on how Verdi... (01:46)
- Antonio Pappano on Verdi as... (02:32)
- Fanfare: from rough recording... (03:49)
- Friends Season Preview 2013/14 (02:19)
- What we do: The Royal Opera... (00:50)
- Antonio Pappano and Kasper... (14:17)
- Antonio Pappano Vocal... (16:03)
- La bohème in cinemas 15... (03:35)
- Les Troyens in cinemas... (03:05)
- Royal Opera House Cinema... (03:24)
- Royal Opera House Cinema... (04:48)
- Otello (The Royal Opera):... (09:42)
- Antonio Pappano and David... (13:40)
- Antonio Pappano introduces... (17:22)
- Rigoletto - Verdi's... (08:07)
- The music of Wolfgang... (01:55)
- Pappano's Essential Tosca (05:00)
- Insights: Antonio Pappano... (17:56)
- Insights: Antonio Pappano... (11:34)
- Insights: Antonio Pappano... (17:34)
- Interview: Madama Butterfly -... (03:23)
- Fanfare: Antonio Pappano... (03:59)
- Macbeth - Royal Opera... (07:16)
- Backstage: Macbeth (02:47)
- Insight : In Conversation... (02:41)
- Interviews: Rolando Villazón... (03:16)
- Interviews: Antonio Pappano... (02:30)
News and features
A glimpse of Stephen Langridge's new Royal Opera production before curtain up.
Our Music Director talks to BBC Radio 3's In Tune about conducting Covent Garden's first staging of Verdi's grand opera.
The conductor speaks about the importance of performing away from Covent Garden.
A selection of audience tweets from the first night of Elijah Moshinsky's production of Verdi's political thriller.
Written on Skin composer and writer to create new opera that will have its premiere in 2018.
Music Director receives award from the Incorporated Society of Musicians.