Your Reaction: What did you think of Shostakovich's The Nose?

Barrie Kosky makes his Royal Opera debut with a new production of Shostakovich’s rarely-performed surrealist satire.

By Mel Spencer (Senior Editor (Social Media))

21 October 2016 at 3.06pm | 11 Comments

Press Reviews
Bachtrack ★★★★★
Times (£) ★★★★★
Evening Standard ★★★★
Music OMH ★★★★
The Stage ★★★★
The Arts Desk ★★★
Financial Times ★★★
Guardian ★★★
Telegraph ★★★

What did you think of The Nose?
Share your thoughts via the comments below.

The Nose runs until 9 November 2016. Tickets are still available.

The Nose is a co-production with Komische Oper Berlin and Opera Australia.

The production is given with generous philanthropic support from Hamish and Sophie Forsyth, The Tsukanov Family Foundation and The Royal Opera House Endowment Fund.

By Mel Spencer (Senior Editor (Social Media))

21 October 2016 at 3.06pm

This article has been categorised Opera and tagged by Barrie Kosky, opera, Production, Reviews, satire, Shostakovich, The Nose, your reaction

1. Tim Walton responded on 21 October 2016 at 5:45pm Reply

Absolutely fantastic. Went away with a smile on my face which lasted all the way back to Birmingham at 01.00!!

I hope it is going to be recorded for DVD.

2. Patrick Buckingham responded on 21 October 2016 at 5:45pm Reply

I found this opera quite extraordinary given the significant amount of dance (the tap dancing noses were thrilling), the riotous score (Shostakovich at his most manic) and the surreal narrative. This production certainly plays up the humour throughout so that the darker tones that Shostakovich had in mind are moreorless lost. I've never seen members of the orchestra smile so much as they did last night and they certainly did a great job. As did those on stage who embraced this new production with evident gusto. All in all, I had an exciting evening and am keen to know more about The Nose and to see this production again.

3. David Morris responded on 21 October 2016 at 7:37pm Reply

Absolutely fantastic. Wonderful production, tremendous to look at and SO funny. Rarely have I heard an audience at the ROH laugh so much. Singing it in English also helped thanks to David Poutneys racy translation.
    Martin Winker outstanding in the tile role and all the supporting cast playing 4 roles a piece where great. The orchestra was incredible. And as for the tap dancing!!!!
    A truly memorable night.

4. Matteo responded on 21 October 2016 at 7:48pm Reply

What a wonderful bizarre and funny production: everything grotesque but always with a smile
    The noses on stage the best!
    Will go again!

5. Charlotte Blake responded on 22 October 2016 at 10:15am Reply

Whilst I am a big opera fan, I generally stay 'safe'. Shostakovich is not a composer I know well, and I did not know The Nose at all. So it was with some trepidation that I booked tickets for The Nose at ROH. However, I am glad that I did. It was a great evening. Full of fun. And distincly, Kosky.

6. Anastasia responded on 31 October 2016 at 1:24pm Reply

Stunning and a definite highlight of the season! Thank you Barry Kosky, Martin Winkler and all involved. Not since Les Dialogues des Carmelites, Andrea Chernier and L'Etoile have I been so delighted by a ROH production.

7. 'A' for effort from cast, maestro and musicians. Found the production diverting but without heart or head. Yes a great tap-dance sequence...and there are some strong images in costume and choreography. But this The Nose felt like spectacle ... And light on meaning, depth and resonance.

8. Acar Nazli responded on 9 November 2016 at 11:38pm Reply

I loved it. I watched it through the internet in Atlanta, Georgia, USA hrough Arte web site. Extremely entertaining and a great production well acted and well sung. Superb orchestration from a genius. I did not think I would be interested, however, I was smitten. I only wish I was there.

9. John Willman responded on 10 November 2016 at 10:31am Reply

Utterly brilliant production of a very quirky work. I'm not sure if it is an opera, so much as a musical with long dance routines. But the music is terrific, the singing and dancing fabulous and the whole production riots along. I'd go again if there were more to see. I agree with Anastasia above that this is the best production this season amid turgid productions of classics hopelessly fiddled about with by directors who think they know better than composers and librettists

10. Stephen Ratcliffe responded on 10 November 2016 at 5:37pm Reply

Best thing I have seen at the ROH all year. Fantastic.

11. dongiovanni responded on 16 November 2016 at 11:29pm Reply

sung English is difficult to understand especially when the music is so weird. Much of the text was lost for me. Subtitles would have been useful. The surrealist fun gets thin after a while and the piece is overlong. Music occasionally shows the composers genius, but he much improved later on. Wouldn't mind seeing a Russian production. thank you.