Your Reaction: What did you think of Rossini’s The Barber of Seville?

Moshe Leiser and Patrice Caurier’s production of Il barbiere di Siviglia has been a firm favourite at the Royal Opera House since its 2005 premiere.

By Rose Slavin (Former Assistant Content Producer)

14 September 2016 at 11.29am | 6 Comments

Press Reviews:
The Express ★★★★★
Guardian ★★★★
Independent ★★★★
The Stage ★★★★
The Times  ★★★★
Broadway World ★★★
What's on Stage? ★★★
Bachtrack ★★

What did you think of The Barber of Seville?
Let us know via the comments below.

Il barbiere di Siviglia runs until 11 October 2016. Tickets are still available.

The production is staged with generous philanthropic support from Professor Paul Cartledge and Judith Portrait OBE and The Royal Opera House Endowment Fund

1. Michele Tarsh responded on 14 September 2016 at 4:58pm Reply

It was fantastic not one weak singer, and Daniela Mack was a true Rosina. Loved Javier Camarena, please bring him back to do more singing at ROH and Furlanetto's performance was wonderful - thank you all

2. Coppelia responded on 14 September 2016 at 9:46pm Reply

I echo the positive reactions above, very funny and a first rate cast. Many comedic and musical highlights but the 'Slander' aria in particular had me chuckling out loud. From the moment he burst out from the back of the stalls, Vito Priante confirmed he's both got the goods vocally and charisma to burn. Javier Camarena well-nigh blew my mind with his vocal agility in Act II. Bravo!

3. Chrissie Bates responded on 18 September 2016 at 11:45am Reply

Have always enjoyed this production of The Barber, and this cast does not disappoint. But how I wish Ferruccio Furlanetto would not stand on the arms of that blooming' chair!!!

A great evening. Thanks and congratulations to all.

4. I wonder if it is just me or Camarena had a particularly bad night on Sat 17 Sept. His coloratura was very difficult to listen to and in particular his 'Ecco, ridente in cielo' was simply awful. Maybe I just ruined this for myself by listening to too much Juan Diego Florez?

• Nick responded on 22 September 2016 at 10:57am

Last night he started off very badly as well. His intonation was off most of the time in Acts I & II, and 'Ecco, ridente in cielo' was totally ruined by his constant embellishments, to the point where there was none of the original melody left. Why? What for?? He sounded much better in Act III, but is complete lack of stage presence also made me pine for JDF the whole evening! Unfair comparison, I know...

5. Michael responded on 23 September 2016 at 11:15pm Reply

We have seen Il Barbiere quite a few times and we were at the ROH the night before for the premiere of Norma, so to be honest, we came thinking we'd be hard to please, but wow. My most memorable Barbiere to date for the male voices (for Rosina, noone will probably ever top Teresa Berganza, although Joyce di Donato's performance in a wheelchair a few years ago was memorable for all the right reason). Frankly, though, the 2016 vintage is simply outstanding.