Your Reaction: What did you think of Puccini's Turandot on BP Big Screens?

Audience reviews of The Royal Opera's BP Big Screen relay and stream of Puccini's masterpiece.

By Chris Shipman (Head of Brand Engagement and Social Media)

14 July 2017 at 11.53pm | 11 Comments

What did you think of Turandot?
Share your thoughts via the comments below.

If you missed the livestream, watch it again on-demand for 30 days
Turandot runs until 16 July 2017. Tickets are still available.

By Chris Shipman (Head of Brand Engagement and Social Media)

14 July 2017 at 11.53pm

This article has been categorised Opera and tagged by Andrei Serban, Production, turandot, your reaction

1. V. Salt responded on 17 July 2017 at 10:35am Reply

Very good production, superb singing. Please lose Gok Wan next time.

2. Valerie Knight responded on 17 July 2017 at 3:13pm Reply

I think I'd have enjoyed it more either in ROH or outside in Trafalgar Square or Hull. Too overpowering in my living room via You Tube on television!
    Agree with V.Salt's comments.
    Glad to have seen (and heard) live streaming via You tube. More this way please ballet and opera.

3. Ian Thomson responded on 17 July 2017 at 9:18pm Reply

It was brilliant, we had seen it live last Wednesday and then to see it again at home was a completely different experience and in some ways better. However nothing can beat seeing things live.I preferred the singers in the screened performance it was different ones to who we saw on the Wednesday. It was awesome and spellbinding we just loved the whole experience

4. Patricia Bowlas responded on 18 July 2017 at 1:38pm Reply

I love the BP screenings and this performance was spectacular. I have not seen this opera before but a friend has seen it three times and said I must go. I'm glad she did and so are my next door neighbour's who came with me. We thought the first act and especially the finale was outstanding! Thank you

5. Shirley Richardson responded on 20 July 2017 at 6:34pm Reply

As someone new to Opera the live streamings it was spellbinding and I loved every minute of this perfectly and beautifully performed and produced opera. Thank you so much. I'm looking forward to visiting ROH in December, but please also keep these live streams via YouTube coming.

6. Douglas Foote responded on 21 July 2017 at 5:40am Reply

Fabulous that we can watch these wonderful productions, but why oh why do we have to have these inane and idiotic presenters. I am all for spreading the word about opera and the work of the ROH and breaking the elitist view of opera, but why does it have to dumbed down to such a low level!
    10/10 for the opera - outstanding.
    0/10 for the rest of broadcast.

7. C. Maeder responded on 21 July 2017 at 4:24pm Reply

Enjoyed seeing this production again on YouTube. Seen the original many years ago at Covent Garden, when they still put on "real" productions. No sinks and bathtubs!
    Singing, however was average. Not good enough for a live stream with many people seeing an Opera for the first time.I am old enough to have seen Nilsson at CG.

8. Chrissie Bates responded on 22 July 2017 at 1:13pm Reply

I was fortunate to be at ROH for the Big Screen performance with Alagna, Kurjack and Lindstrom.

I’ve enjoyed this production several times over the years, and this has to be the best performance I've seen. Alagna sang with great empathy almost making Calaf a believable character, Liu is always a favourite with audiences and Aleksandra Kurjak thoroughly deserved her tumultuous ovation. Lise Lindstrom tackled the huge demands of the title role well. The lesser roles were excellent as were orchestra, chorus, dancers. I had dithered about booking to see the production - yet again - but it has stood the test of time and has to be up there with ROH’s best ever productions.

My only criticism was Gok Wan who was chosen to present the evening, presumably to show that opera is not just for toffs. But this spectacularly misfired with his comment about Purfleet. Wonder how the good people of Purfleet watching on their Big Screen felt about that?

But brilliant evening. Thanks to everyone!

9. Fabrizio Doria responded on 23 July 2017 at 2:07am Reply

So I thought the production was beautiful. Although, I felt Turandot's voice really cut out at the bottom and perhaps it's too heavy of a roll for Lise. Besides that, and she did an admirable job by the way, it was stellar. I loved the mask and costumes. And I found the chorus placed that way created an excellent sound.

10. vanessa faria de oliveira responded on 4 August 2017 at 11:01pm Reply

Stunning! It was a great opportunity for me, because I live in Brazil.
    I hope you do more soon. Congrats!!

11. Vanessa Faria de Oliveira responded on 5 August 2017 at 1:57pm Reply

Stunning!!!
    I have watched from Brazil, via You Tube on
    TV.
    I hope you could do it many times.
    Maybe operas and ballets on- demand