Your Reaction: What did you think of Kenneth MacMillan's Mayerling?

Audience and press reviews of The Royal Ballet's real-life royal tale of love, lust and death.

By Asher Korner (Former Assistant Content Producer)

3 May 2017 at 2.33pm | 18 Comments

Press reviews:

Arts Desk ★★★★★
Independent ★★★★★
Financial Times ★★★★★
Bach Track ★★★★★
The Stage ★★★★★
Guardian ★★★★
Times (£) ★★★★
Telegraph ★★★★

What did you think of Mayerling?
Share your thoughts via the comments below.

Mayerling runs until 13 May 2017. There are a small number of tickets still available.

The production is staged with generous philanthropic support from Julia and Hans Rausing, the Paul Ferguson Memorial Fund, Richard and Delia Baker, John and Susan Burns, Marina Hobson OBE, The Gerald Ronson Family Foundation and Celia Blakey.

By Asher Korner (Former Assistant Content Producer)

3 May 2017 at 2.33pm

This article has been categorised Ballet and tagged by Kenneth Macmillan, Mayerling, Production, review, Social Media, your reaction

1. Boo responded on 4 May 2017 at 8:24am Reply

Loved Federico Bonelli and Laura Morera on Saturday. An incredible performance from both, you'd never believe it was their debuts!

2. Jae responded on 4 May 2017 at 1:38pm Reply

I also saw the matinee of Mayerling on 29th April and would agree that Federico Bonelli and Laura Morera were absolutely superb, as were the other members of an enthusiastic cast.
    I would also congratulate the wonderful ROH Orchestra on their playing of the beautiful Lizt score.
    Really, the success of the work rests on the technical and dramatic ability of the lead male dancer to draw the audience into the disturbed mind of and world surrounding Prince Rudolf and Mr Bonelli certainly showed us a range that took my breath away. Quite an amazing performance.

3. Karl Brinkley responded on 4 May 2017 at 2:23pm Reply

As my first trip to ballet is was wonderful and
    fascinating and beautiful, and I look forward to the next performance I go to.

4. Siobhan Lambertsen responded on 4 May 2017 at 5:57pm Reply

I saw the opening night cast who were all superb. The dramatic skills of all members of the company are unmatched. At some points I forget I was watching a ballet – it was simply a drama unfolding. The tension created on stage was incredible. For me, as wonderful as all the cast were, Sarah Lamb as Countess Larisch stole every scene she was in and was the finest actor and performer on the stage. I was completely drawn to her even when she wasn’t dancing. She conveyed subtlety all the complexities of her character and her painful relationship with Prince Rudolph. I think it’s her greatest role, all the more impressive as it is not the showiest part. I would like also to see her Mary Vetsera.
    Francesca Hayward and Alexander Campbell were the other highlights for me.

5. Paula Jennings responded on 4 May 2017 at 7:01pm Reply

Saw the debuts of Steven McRae and Sarah Lamb as Rudolf and Mary Vetsera . Wonderful performances from both and special mentions to Meaghan Grace Hinkis as Stefanie and Kristen McNally as the Empress

6. Sandie responded on 4 May 2017 at 7:53pm Reply

Magnificent performances from a stellar cast on Tuesday made for absolutely fantastic and very memorable evening.
    WHY ARE YOU NOT FILMING THIS?

• Asher Korner (Former Assistant Content Producer) responded on 5 May 2017 at 10:51am

Dear Sandie,

Many thanks for your comment, and very happy to hear that you enjoyed Mayerling! We aim to film and broadcast as many productions as possible, but due to various restrictions (financial, legal, logistical) we are unable to capture them all.

I hope this helps,

Best,

Asher Korner

7. N.Kalemis responded on 5 May 2017 at 11:40am Reply

Kenneth McMillan’s Mayerling with its marvellous designs by Nicholas Georgiadis was beyond expectations.

Soares and Cuthbertson gave intriguing interpretations of the doomed lovers. Praise, too, for Yuhui Choes’s appealing Stephanie, Christina Arestis’s imperious Elisabeth and Itziar Mendizabals’s charming Countess Marie.

The Royal Ballet is definitely doing MacMillan proud. Bravi.

8. Victor responded on 7 May 2017 at 11:46am Reply

Absolutely love it . Saw Federico & Laura on there seductive, passionate interpretation of Mayerling. Meaghan was my favourite one , just saw her last December for " Nutcracker " and transformed as a mature Princess Stephanie wow that was super never seen such powerful narrative ballet before as such . Congratulations!!! ❤️❤️❤️❤️Bravo

9. Adrian Burley responded on 8 May 2017 at 7:34pm Reply

Mayerling is a masterpiece 'angst' ballet. This run I will attend three performances to see three different interpretations. The shoulder high lifts in act three are ungainly, unsightly-non balletic and impose unreasonable stresses on an already exhausting role for Rudolf. I think they are more fitting for Giant Haystacks and I can only think they have not been cut because of zealous guarding of the original choreography. In the second performance I saw (no names) the danseur just managed to avoid disaster. I pray he did not injure himself. Final applause was more muted than I would have expected for an otherwise top rate interpretation. It did not look right. The audience was nervous.

10. Imogen Seward Evans responded on 8 May 2017 at 8:55pm Reply

Why oh why is there not a live link up of Mayerling??!!
    A DVD?

• Asher Korner (Former Assistant Content Producer) responded on 9 May 2017 at 10:43am

Dear Imogen,

Thanks for your comment.

We appreciate that it is difficult for those outside London to come and see our productions in Covent Garden, and while we would like to be able to broadcast all of our productions, we are unable to do so due to various restrictions (financial, legal, logistical).

I hope this helps,

Best,

Asher Korner

11. Siobhan Lambertsen responded on 9 May 2017 at 1:05pm Reply

Laura Moera was superb as Mary. She was born to dance that role. The final pas de deux with Bonelli was very powerful and intense.

12. Adrian Burley responded on 11 May 2017 at 11:50pm Reply

Edward Watson masterclass tonight (11th). Pure magic.

13. penelope simpson responded on 12 May 2017 at 3:16pm Reply

A wonderful evening last night with Ed on superb form and Osipova magnficent

14. Ruth Nixon responded on 13 May 2017 at 9:17pm Reply

I have never been so moved by a ballet. Amazing. Thiago Soares and Lauren Cuthbertson were amazing.

15. Emma responded on 14 May 2017 at 11:20pm Reply

I watched Steven Mcrae perform twice in Mayerling, and each time I cried at the end- I have never been so moved by ballet or so inspired. It felt such a privilege to watch someone bear their soul so completely and be so consumed by the part. A totally unique and special performance. I felt lucky to have seen this- truly unforgettable.

16. Josephine responded on 21 May 2017 at 11:40pm Reply

I'm still thinking about Mayerling a week on from its end this season. Huge thanks to everyone involved in staging this magnificent ballet. I feel fortunate indeed to have seen such incredible performances by the whole company, even though revisiting the work in 2017 has seemed a bitter-sweet experience. In the 15 years or so since I first saw Mayerling my most outstanding memory is still the revelatory interpretation of Prince Rudolf by Bennet Gartside in 2013. This was an exceptionally powerful performance, so beautifully danced and portraying Rudolf's inner demons and despair with an insight and clarity unparallelled in any other interpretation I have seen.

Mr Gartside was extraordinary in the depth of his reading and gave a superlative performance which was acclaimed by critics and audience alike. It remains a huge disappointment that he was not cast to dance Rudolf again this season. An immensely sad decision.