Your Reaction: What did you think of Donizetti's L'elisir d'amore?

Audience reactions to The Royal Opera's production of Donizetti's sunny opera.

By Mel Spencer (Senior Editor (Social Media))

31 May 2017 at 1.43pm | 9 Comments

Press reviews:
Express ★★★★
Financial Times ★★★★
Independent ★★★★
The Stage ★★★★
Times (£) ★★★★
What's On Stage ★★★★

What did you think of L'elisir d'amore?
Share your thoughts via the comments below.

L’elisir d’amore runs until 22 June 2017. Tickets are still available.

The production is a co-production with Opéra National de Paris.

By Mel Spencer (Senior Editor (Social Media))

31 May 2017 at 1.43pm

This article has been categorised Opera and tagged by Laurent Pelly, L'Elisir d'amore, Production, review, Social Media, your reaction

1. David Morris responded on 31 May 2017 at 3:56pm Reply

Liparit Avetisyan gave us the most exciting tenor singing we have heard at the ROH for years. He is a star in the making. Pretty Yende also lovely but would prefer to hear her in something like "I Puritani"where she can really show off the top of her voice. Bordogna also one of the best Belcore's I have ever heard. A lovely evening. Heartwarming.

2. Robin Berkeley responded on 31 May 2017 at 4:33pm Reply

In agreeing with all the plaudits for this revival of one of my favourite operas and favourite ROH productions, and in particular for Adina and Nemorino, I thought the humour in the original production was pushed here further than necessary. I like my Dulcamara more of a showman and less of a spiv, too.

3. Peter Lewis responded on 1 June 2017 at 7:48pm Reply

Definitely my favourite cast and production since I first saw this opera at Covent garden 25 years ago. Stars have been born here!

4. Loge responded on 19 June 2017 at 11:20pm Reply

Brilliant production with a fantastic Pretty Yende and a surprising Avetysian. As to Alex Esposito, he's probably the best belcanto bass-baritone in the wold as well as an outstanding actor. I can't believe he won't sing Semiramide next autumn! The conductor is correct but not particularly creative. Well done ROH!

5. Robin Bruce responded on 20 June 2017 at 12:42pm Reply

I just had to write to say how wonderful Jennifer Davis was last night - I would like to borrow Peter Lewis's comment - a star has been born here. She is bound to become a true 'star attraction' - she has the full package, showing wonderful restraint in the first act followed by an inspiring flowering of her voice and personality as the opera progressed - and I for one will book any production she sings in from now on.

6. Jeremy Clayton responded on 21 June 2017 at 9:13am Reply

I thought the substitute tenor was also superb on Monday. Who was he?

• Rachel Beaumont (Product Manager) responded on 21 June 2017 at 9:34am

Hi Jeremy,

I'm glad you enjoyed the performance. He was Romanian tenor Ioan Hotea.

All best,
      Rachel

7. Ann O'Shaughnessy responded on 22 June 2017 at 12:14pm Reply

I saw this performance on Mon June 19 and, in accord with previous comments, cannot fault either Jennifer Davis or Ioan Hotea. They brought a freshness and charm to a production I have seen several times. I hope to see both of them in future productions.

8. Chris Caulfield responded on 23 June 2017 at 9:31pm Reply

Saw It on the last night with an alt alt cast but it was fantastic. Will be as near the front of the queue when this is next revived with an army of new people along to discover this. Loved it.