Your Reaction: What did you think of Cilea’s Adriana Lecouvreur 2017?

Your thoughts on David McVicar's sumptuous production of this tragic opera.

By Rose Slavin (Former Assistant Content Producer)

8 February 2017 at 11.04am | 15 Comments

Press Reviews:
The Arts Desk ★★★★
Financial Times ★★★★
The Stage ★★★★
What's on Stage ★★★★
The Guardian ★★★
Independent ★★★
The Telegraph ★★★

What did you think of Adriana Lecouvreur?
Share your thoughts via the comments below:

Adriana Lecouvreur runs until 2 March 2017. Tickets are still available.

The production is a co-production with Gran Teatre del Liceu, BarcelonaVienna State OperaSan Francisco Opera and Opéra National de Paris, and is given with generous philanthropic support from The Friends of Covent Garden.

1. Donnald responded on 8 February 2017 at 11:43am Reply

Always feel like fall in love when I hear Angela Gheorghiu's lovely and impressing voice!

2. Michael de Navarro responded on 8 February 2017 at 3:19pm Reply

I was very glad to see the opera again. Despite the absurdities of the poisoned violets, it has some lovely music and this remains a stunning production with possibly the best sets I can remember. I thought Finley (beautiful sustained soft singing) and Dudnikova (new to me and I hope to see and hear more of her) were both better than their predecessors and although Jagde is no Jonas Kaufmann (who is?) he sang very impressively - and as for the diva it was difficult to believe she has been singing here for 25 years so fresh did her performance seem - and she is perfect in this part. Thank you.

3. Jules responded on 9 February 2017 at 6:24am Reply

Always happy to see and listen to Angela Gheorghiu! Celebrating 25 years since her debut at the ROH and still no one can hold a candle to her!..The instantly recognizable timbre, her pure and powerful voice and stage presence and also an instinct for great musical choices make her probably the best soprano around.

Brian Jagde is a young and very promising tenor.
    David McVicar's production is stunning, a real eye-catcher! I think it's time for the ROH to create a new and wonderful production! with Gheorghiu in it!:) Would absolutely love to see her in Manon Lescaut!

4. Irina responded on 9 February 2017 at 8:41am Reply

Maurizio was fantastic, but I was really disappointed by Angela Cheoeghiu :( Her voice was week and didn't have power. Sometimes it seeemed that she was out of breath. Shame ((

5. Robin Thomas responded on 10 February 2017 at 4:10pm Reply

Fantastic and for once a complex set added something and was worth the money. And not a vaguely 20th century soldier not knowing how to hold a wooden gun in sight!

6. Absolutely fantastic production all round. Everything was simply outstanding. I go the opera about 20 times a year and this is the best I've seen in years.

7. Carole du buisson responded on 11 February 2017 at 12:47pm Reply

Saw Adriana last night Angela was perfect in the role BRAVA!! The whole production was memorable. Only down side was the tenor too overpowering in his duets.

8. Chris responded on 12 February 2017 at 9:19am Reply

It was a fantastic night not only the one and only Angela Gheorghiu but also the brilliant young tenor who has a pure and bright voice. I was so happy to see this wonderful production again.
    I suppose The Guardian has renewed their rating to 4/5 (Adriana Lecouvreur; The Creation; Metamorphosen – review, 12/2/2017) and Daily Mail declared their rating as 5/5 (Cilea's masterpiece is a soaring success: Adriana Lecouvreur shows a great singer in a worthy setting, 9/2/2017)

9. Ann O'Shaughnessy responded on 22 February 2017 at 3:05pm Reply

I saw this production last night (21 Feb). Having seen Gheorghiu and Kaufmann in 2010, I chose to see Bassenz in the title role and was not disappointed. The entire line-up of principals had a chemistry which brought this performance to life. Combined with the superb scenery and costumes, for me, this is opera at its very best. I could not single out any one singer in particular - Finley, Jagde, Dudnikova and Bassenz all excelled - perhaps because they can also act?? The rare combination of singer/actor was well represented in this performance.
    I hope to see a lot more the above at ROH

10. Donal Flynn responded on 22 February 2017 at 4:41pm Reply

I saw the 21 February production also and came away feeling I had been to a really good night! I was particualrly struck by the singing and acting of Hrachuhí Bassénz - what a find for her debut! Her pp and decrescendi above the stave and timing with the conductor were wonderful. But it was also a very strong cast - Gerald Finley really brought Michonnet to life, Princess de Bouillon was not overacted, the Abbé was witty. I thought the sets and lighting worked very well and was intrigued by the replica (?) 18C stage.

11. Giulia Breakwell responded on 25 February 2017 at 3:45pm Reply

What a treat! The singing was truly outstanding and the acting and set were equally stunning.So glad I made the effort !!

12. Bryan Moore responded on 25 February 2017 at 7:21pm Reply

All the superlatives have already been stated, so I will merely say that my wife and I had a wonderful evening and enjoyed the whole experience. I have one tiny criticism and this is only made from a personal perspective, but seated in the front row, seats A26/27, we could see nothing of the ballet because of the positioning of the stage audience. However, congratulations to all concerned especially to Ms Gheorghiu for her brilliance and longevity, and to Brian Jagde who was so impressive in his role and from whom we wish to hear much more. Another plaudit to Ksenia Dudnikova for her contribution and, of course, to the stage management of this difficult tale of theatre life.

13. Roger Taylor responded on 1 March 2017 at 12:12am Reply

We saw this on Monday 27th. What an operatic treat, every aspect superlative. This opera deserves a more prominent place in the repertoire.

14. Tom responded on 1 March 2017 at 8:44am Reply

We went on the 27th and thoroughly enjoyed the evening. Everything was right, singers especially, the sets, costumes, conductor and orchestra.

15. Patricia Dupuy responded on 5 March 2017 at 4:02pm Reply

Watched the performance on the 24th February, for my husbands 70th birthday. It is the the first time he has seen it and he is an Opera Buff, we thoroughly enjoyed the performance and the music was surperb and wish we could fine an CD of the music. Would certainly watch again.