Your Reaction: What did you think of Alice's Adventures in Wonderland 2017?

Audience responses and press reviews of Christopher Wheeldon's adaptation of Lewis Carroll's iconic novel, which opened The Royal Ballet's 2017/18 Season.

By Chris Shipman (Head of Brand Engagement and Social Media)

2 October 2017 at 3.48pm | 15 Comments

Press reviews:
Bachtrack ★★★★★
Telegraph
★★★★
Times (£) ★★★★
Express ★★★★
Financial Times
 ★★★★
Arts Desk ★★★★
Independent ★★★

What did you think of Alice's Adventures in Wonderland?

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland runs until 28 October 2017. Tickets are are sold out, although returns may become available and a limited number of tickets will be released each week as part of Friday Rush.

The production will be relayed live to cinemas around the world on 23 October 2017. Find your nearest cinema and sign up to our mailing list.

It is a co-production with The National Ballet of Canada, is supported by Boodles and is staged with generous philanthropic support from Kenneth and Susan Green, Doug and Ceri King and The Royal Opera House Endowment Fund.

By Chris Shipman (Head of Brand Engagement and Social Media)

2 October 2017 at 3.48pm

This article has been categorised Ballet and tagged Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, by Christopher Wheeldon, Production, review, your reaction

1. Karenb responded on 2 October 2017 at 6:58pm Reply

Congratulations to Tierney Heap on a brilliant Queen of Hearts on Saturday afternoon, and to a delightful Francesca Hayward as Alice. Thoroughly enjoyed seeing a different cast in this wonderful ballet.

2. Gerry Sloan responded on 3 October 2017 at 9:02am Reply

2nd time seeing this, absolutely gorgeous, the new Alice was stunning, beautiful music and just magical. Congratulations. A must see event.

3. Kevin responded on 3 October 2017 at 3:45pm Reply

May I ask who is playing the Smoking Caterpillar? Thanks

4. LabLady responded on 3 October 2017 at 5:39pm Reply

Nicol Edmonds replaced William Bracewell at last night's performance. He was superb - a great performance, loved it. It's a shame that role isn't listed on the website schedule, but it is on the cast sheet.

5. Jane Bedlington responded on 3 October 2017 at 7:24pm Reply

Loved the evening with my family. It was low brow 'high brow' and fully accessible and enjoyable for a ballet virgin like me.

6. Jana Weber responded on 3 October 2017 at 11:08pm Reply

I absolutely loved the performance. I had seen several snippets from the show one the ROH YouTube channel. I had seen Zenayda on the videos and had hoped to see her perform live but unfortunately she had injured herself :( But even though we had missed a partial amount of the performance as we had train issues (TfL) Overall I loved the choreography the different types of dance styles (The Mad Tapper) and the phenomenal puppetry of the flamingos and the Cheshire Cat. I also enjoyed that you made fun of/ tibuteted other shows like Carmen and Aurora. I also HAVE to give a special mention to the unappreciated cast members. like the legs of the caterpillar, the puppeteers of the Cheshire cat, the card characters who don't get a huge amount of spotlight, the running hedges that look as though they are chocking whilst they run as thy have so little room for their heads and the four young boys of the Royal Ballet School, who played the hedgehogs. I must give a big well done to all of the production team and the projection designing team and the choreographer and the composer. Well done to everyone who had any part of the production it was absolutely amazing would go several times.

7. Katie Barnes responded on 8 October 2017 at 9:45pm Reply

Wonderful, just wonderful. One small niggle: why are the three gardeners and the Queen's four hapless parners in the Tarts Adagio not credited in the programme? The gardeners even get their own curtain call but we aren't told who they are!

8. Penelope Simpson responded on 10 October 2017 at 11:44am Reply

Where was Ed Watson last night? Really. Disappointed as had not seen any cast change.

9. penelope simpson responded on 10 October 2017 at 6:45pm Reply

But where was Ed Watson last night? He was in the original cast and I didn't see a Cast List amendment.

Fab performance

10. Kathy responded on 24 October 2017 at 5:30pm Reply

saw the live feed last night at Cineworld in Braintree. Lauren Cuthbertson as Alice was... well words fail me- absolutely stunning. The production was full on, wonderful, funny and just brilliant

11. FMarlow responded on 24 October 2017 at 9:36pm Reply

Unfortunately I didn't enjoy this as much as the one I saw 2 years ago. I thought Alice was wonderful, loved the White Rabbit and enjoyed the Mad Hatter and The caterpillar.
    I really didn't like Act 3. It was very pantomimy, I hated the 'comedy' dance by the Red Queen and the whole scene was quite chaotic and not done well.
    The dancing throughout was superb but I felt the choreography was really lacking in places.
    There were many wonderful bits but a lot of it seemed disjointed and didn't make sense.
    Did anyone else think the same?

• Mary Fielder responded on 26 October 2017 at 4:02pm

No, I don’t agree, the comedy with the red queen was brilliant, the whole production was wonderful and I look forward,to seeing it again.

• Philippa Wright responded on 10 November 2017 at 10:19pm

So disagree about your view, I absolutely loved the complete work, and where is your sense of humour, the Red Queen was marvellously hilarious, and the tapping Mad Hatter masterful with amazing timing. Have you ever tried ballet dancing yourself?

I am buying the DVD to savour the moves.

12. Nicky Williams responded on 25 October 2017 at 10:36pm Reply

A fabulous production, inspired choreography, breathtaking score and wonderful performances. Many congratulations on producing a ballet that appeals to all. We attended with a reluctant friend who 'wasn't into ballet'. He was completely captivated. Thank you for a thoroughly entertaining evening.

13. Anne Lucas responded on 28 October 2017 at 2:26pm Reply

So much to see and appreciate that I really need to see it all over again!