Your Reaction: The Winter's Tale 2016

What did you think of the return of Christopher Wheeldon's Royal Ballet adaptation of Shakespeare's play?

By Mel Spencer (Senior Editor (Social Media))

13 April 2016 at 3.02pm | 22 Comments

Press reviews:

The Stage ★★★★★
The Londonist ★★★★★
The Arts Desk ★★★★
The Guardian ★★★★

Read the reactions to the premiere run of The Winter's Tale from 2014

What did you think of The Winter's Tale?
Let us know via the comments below.

The Winter's Tale runs until 10 June 2016. Tickets are still available.

The production is part of Shakespeare 400 and is generously supported by Anna and Moshe Kantor, Lady Ashcroft, Lindsay and Sarah Tomlinson, The Royal Opera House Endowment Fund and The Friends of Covent Garden. Christopher Wheeldon’s Position as Artistic Associate is generously supported by Kenneth and Susan Green.

By Mel Spencer (Senior Editor (Social Media))

13 April 2016 at 3.02pm

This article has been categorised Ballet and tagged by Christopher Wheeldon, Production, review, Social Media, The Winter's Tale, your reaction

1. Dewi Hughes responded on 13 April 2016 at 6:05pm Reply

The dancing and staging and the projections and scene changes were outstanding. The music - jury still out particularly the first Act. However, the on stage band was like the dancing superb.

2. penelope simpson responded on 13 April 2016 at 7:49pm Reply

Wonderful. Loved every moment. At last, a new full-length narrative ballet. Watson superlative. If you can get a ticket - GO!

3. ML responded on 14 April 2016 at 7:41am Reply

Spectacular and powerful dancing! Watson, Cuthbertson and Yanowsky so powerful and moving in their portrayal of Leontes, Hermione and Paulina respectively. Lamb and McRae so sparkling in the virtuoso dances. Loved the gorgeous costumes and dramatic sets. We're going to come back and see it again; that's how marvellous it is (thankfully it's being performed up till early June!)

4. Christine Breslin responded on 14 April 2016 at 1:55pm Reply

The whole performance was breathtaking from start to finish. Cannot wait to see it again in June

5. Chris B responded on 14 April 2016 at 2:24pm Reply

Looking forward to May for this... Vivid memories of the heartbreaking dignity of Cuthbertson, and the pained contortions of Watson from last time. Act II's pastoral is bright, and the closing is humbling.

6. Margaret White responded on 14 April 2016 at 5:15pm Reply

I saw the rehearsal an absolutely loved it

7. Nigel Ansley-Young responded on 14 April 2016 at 7:06pm Reply

Everything about this production from the dancing to the music, the sets and costumes is just magical. The best piece of theatre I've seen this year.

8. I loved the first act.

9. Karen Gubbins responded on 14 April 2016 at 11:06pm Reply

Utterly mesmerising! Beautiful dancing, fabulous sets and costumes and the lighting was spectacular. The best ballet I have seen in the last two years and would happily see again. I must mention the music too.

10. Margaret White responded on 15 April 2016 at 9:46am Reply

We loved it so much (saw the rehearsal) that I went straight away and bought the ROH DVD to see it again. I love the live performance but if you can only see it from the amphitheatre it is worth getting the DVD to see close ups of the action

11. Nina Battleday responded on 15 April 2016 at 1:14pm Reply

A well near perfect ballet-I never thought one of my favourite Shakespeare plays could make such a beautiful ballet. Saw the second cast during the original run, will see the new cast tomorrow and the original cast in May. Please Royal Ballet, no injuries!

• Dillon Naylor responded on 19 April 2016 at 4:03pm

I agree! It's been one of my favorite Shakespeare plays since I first saw it, age 13. To see it fulfilled it as a ballet made me fall in love with ballet all over again. So happy that one of the reviews mentioned Zenaida Yanowsky's performance, calling it as good as any Shakespearean actor. I especially love how Paulina and Leontes' grieving scene captures that aspect of the play. "Problem play"? No way!!

12. Joss Wilson responded on 22 April 2016 at 12:08am Reply

I want to live in Bohemia where shepherds dance like @marcelinosambe and the quicksilver @francescahayward exudes joy with every gesture of Perdita. The momentum of the music and choreography In Act 2 was rapturous #rohtale

13. Patrick Buckingham responded on 22 April 2016 at 9:43am Reply

The performance last night conveyed immense emotional power and an intensity that I didn't feel when I saw the same principals dance in the opening run two years ago. This is certainly a ballet that will mature well and take its place as one of the best of its day.

So much to admire. Ed Watson's sinuous body and jerky movement admirably conveyed Leontes' disturbing descent into consuming jealousy. All of the other principals were equally good, with Zenaida a stand out for me as Paulina. She and Ed are arguably the best actors of their generation.

Much credit must also go to the ensemble cast in Act 2 who created a truly magical atmosphere that had me wanting more. A large part of this relates to Joby Talbot's scintillating score and Bob Crowley's eye catching designs. The musicians in the orchestra and on stage also deserve much credit.

I think I'm going to have to see another cast but they will surely struggle to outdo this mature casting which was absolutely on song last night.

14. Belinda Taylor responded on 22 April 2016 at 6:34pm Reply

Lovely to see this revival looking gorgeous and danced exquisitely. The wandering musicians who appear on stage at various stages add delightful colour to the production. I wonder who they are? I couldn't find any names on the cast sheet though they appear as integral to events and they lend important atmosphere. Are they members of the ROH orchestra in disguise?

• Rachel Beaumont (Product Manager) responded on 25 April 2016 at 10:56am

Hi Belinda,

I'm glad you enjoyed the production. The onstage musicians are credited on the castbook underneath the 'Production credits' heading. They are Eliza Marshall (bansuri), Gregory Knowles (dulcimer), Ian Watson (accordion) and Rob Farrer and Jeremy Wiles (percussion).

All best,
      Rachel

15. Jane Brown responded on 28 April 2016 at 8:50pm Reply

I was so impressed by this as a new ballet 2 years ago that I bought the DVD and have been eagerly awaiting its return to the main stage. I have tickets again for later in May and will be introducing friends to its delights. It tells the story brilliantly; the dancing is agonisingly beautiful (I cried); the tree is exquisite and I enjoyed real musicians performing on stage, rather than miming to those in the orchestra pit.
    A triumph, which I shall come to see again and again!

16. Linda King responded on 30 April 2016 at 8:42pm Reply

Today's matinee was simply wonderful. Music, dancing all top rate. The story unfolds with great sensitivity to the play and makes us laugh and cry. Act II is a pure
    delight and uplifting as a contrast to
    the darker moods of Acts I and III. A story of forgiveness and redemption. I hope we will be able to see it regularly at the ROH. Thanks to all involved for giving such pleasure.

17. francois responded on 2 May 2016 at 12:44pm Reply

I attended the performance of April 27th and loved it! The experience is much different than from the DVD, for the amazing impact of the "giant" orchestra (spectacular percussion ensemble) on the global atmosphere of this ballet, which is naturally softened on a DVD soundtrack.
    The company was, as always, in a very good shape. Zenaida Yanowsky was so moving... And I particularly admired both Steven McRae and Federico Bonelli who gave so much energy and passion to their performance, though they simultaneously had to rehearse the creation of Frankenstein and were already at D-7 to the Premiere. Bravo to all of them!

18. Ian G responded on 21 May 2016 at 11:56pm Reply

What should have been a wonderful evening was seriously compromised by the appalling amplification of the orchestra.

What on earth was going on there?

19. Sue Marshall responded on 8 June 2016 at 7:17pm Reply

As a Drama teacher I love love love this ballet! The music and the choreography are a match made in heaven, and the wonderful artists give inspirational performances. I want to watch it over and over again and have been, at both seasons! I love the DVD but please can we gave a CD.... VITAL!!!! I want to listen to it on my commute!! This wonderful mixture of artforms makes me so proud to be part of the amazingly vibrant cultural life here in Britain. We are so lucky.Fantastic!!!!

20. Caitlin Boulton responded on 27 July 2016 at 2:47pm Reply

I absolutely loved this ballet!! I watched it twice through and both times was amazed by how well all the dancing, music and designs fitted together. I also liked the way the story line stayed so true to the original. Not to mention the DANCERS!! I thought they were all incredible and can't get over Sarah Lamb's beautiful lyricism! I can't wait to see more ballet from the Royal Opera House!!