Your reaction: The Nutcracker

What did you think of The Royal Ballet's Christmas ballet?

By Chris Shipman (Content Producer (Social Media and News))

5 December 2013 at 10.07am | 18 Comments

Press reviews:
Evening Standard ★★★★
The Independent ★★★★
The Arts Desk ★★★★

What did you think of The Nutcracker?

The Nutcracker runs until 16 January 2014. Tickets are sold out though returns may become available, with a limited number of day tickets available on the day of each performance.
The production will be relayed live to cinemas around the world on 12 December. Find your nearest cinema and sign up for our cinema newsletter.

The production is staged with generous philanthropic support from Lady Jarvis and The Royal Opera House Endowment Fund.

By Chris Shipman (Content Producer (Social Media and News))

5 December 2013 at 10.07am

This article has been categorised Ballet and tagged by Peter Wright, Production, review, Social Media, The Nutcracker, twitter, your reaction

1. drew responded on 5 December 2013 at 11:03am Reply

Francesca Hayward makes ballet look so effortless you'd think she was Russian. Sublime.
    Set was resplendent, as was the effects.

2. Edgar A. Elwes responded on 5 December 2013 at 8:45pm Reply

I enjoyed the Nutcracker many times before but never like this time It was superb.

3. Highly enjoyable, but I'm afraid Peter Wright's Birmingham Royal Ballet production leaves it standing. Now THAT is pure magic!

4. M Ohaly responded on 10 December 2013 at 11:51pm Reply

I thought it was the worst "Nutcracker" I have ever seen. Terrible dancing, missteps and lack of energy or charm, bland uninspiring musicians. Why do they even bother.

• Clo responded on 13 December 2013 at 8:51am

Are you nuts?

• Cristina responded on 13 December 2013 at 11:07am

My God!! Are you sure you saw what we are speaking about? Perhaps you need to wear glasses? I saw it yesterday evening in Italy at cinema and it was simply GREAT and GORGEOUS!!

5. Simply stunning performance!!! Converted to ballet - definitely forget Strictly. Shame can't show in schools.

6. Nick and Margaret responded on 13 December 2013 at 11:55am Reply

Local cinema in King's Lynn was full, a fantastic performance , appreciated by everyone, much applause from us all. Thank you for the chance to see a stunning production.

7. Carole responded on 13 December 2013 at 6:56pm Reply

Wonderful, wonderful! Sets, costumes, music and above all the ballet. The cinema close-ups showed how much expression the dancers put into the production. Again, wonderful!

8. Martin responded on 13 December 2013 at 7:13pm Reply

This was my first ballet (which I saw live at the cinema on 12th December) and I was transfixed throughout, as time passed by I felt like I had been transported to a fantasy world. The Pas De Deux blew my socks off! This event opened my eyes to ballet and I'm eagerly looking forward to seeing more performances, in person and at the cinema.

9. Jane combes responded on 13 December 2013 at 11:06pm Reply

Laura Mcculloch and the Arabian dancers was super sinuous sexy dance

10. Irene and Ray Smith responded on 14 December 2013 at 12:30pm Reply

Stunning, and a beautiful performance.We live in France and watched it via satelite at the Cinema in St Junien.
    The cinema was packed out and we all look forward to the next one. Many thanks to you all for an enjoyable evening.
    Mr and Mrs Smith France

11. Christiane Buedenbender responded on 15 December 2013 at 9:48pm Reply

Thank you ROH for a wonderful evening. We watched the ballet in Essen/Germany. It was a perfect performance.

12. sue walker responded on 15 December 2013 at 10:00pm Reply

Fabulous show, the pas de deux was beautiful, a lovely Christmas tradition.

13. Michel responded on 17 December 2013 at 7:06pm Reply

I don't know what film you people saw but what I saw was a travesty — close-ups, fancy camera angles, the battle between the toy soldiers and the mice needs to be seen in context of the whole stage not bits at a time, Sugar Plum Fairy dancing with Clara I get to see SPF in close-up with Clara sort of half appearing in and out of shot.
    There were six gypsy dancers, I believe. We only ever see three at a time most of the time.
    I don't think we saw the whole stage for more than about a quarter of the film.
    Dancers cut off at the knees — this is a BALLET, for heaven's sake; I came to watch them dance not perspire.
    I expected a live Nutcracker filmed; I got a highly subjective edited cinematic version.

14. Joan W. Seidel responded on 20 December 2013 at 11:17pm Reply

Gorgeous dancing...charming version of the story, lovely choreography. BUT....filming
    not so good. Too many close up shots,
    don't need to see faces or even feet so often.
    Show full stage or small groups more. The
    Met Opera made the same mistakes the first
    years and now they're better. We want to see
    the performances not the "clever" ways to
    take the film. Great to see it 'though!!

15. I saw the Nutcracker last night and enjoyed it. Nice to see that they are cleaning the floor for Act II. It always used to look scuffed with black marks. It's nice that they are still looking to improve.

16. Mieczyslaw Roguski responded on 17 February 2014 at 6:05am Reply

I have been enjoying ballet for almost 45 years and I must say the Royal ballet presentation of the Peter Wright version of the Nutcracker was " as good as it gets "
    Posted by MMR ,Hamilton , New Zealand