Your Reaction: The Mariinsky Ballet's Cinderella 2014

What did you think of the Russian company's final performances of this summer?

By Lottie Butler (Assistant Content Producer)

17 August 2014 at 10.30am | 8 Comments

What did you think of the Mariinsky Ballet's Cinderella?

The Mariinsky Ballet's Summer 2014 performances at the Royal Opera House are presented by Victor Hochhauser.

By Lottie Butler (Assistant Content Producer)

17 August 2014 at 10.30am

This article has been categorised Ballet, Dance and tagged Ballet, by Alexei Ratmansky, Cinderella, Mariinsky, Mariinsky Ballet, review, Social Media, your reaction

1. Linda Galloway responded on 17 August 2014 at 2:35pm Reply

I found Cinderella disappointing. I have seen the Mariinsky in St Petersburg and was not expecting a second-rate production with poor values. Great dancing is only one aspect of a ballet and the rest (sets, costumes, choreography) did not deliver.

2. Someone posted here called the production dated. But as a fine production as this, and which was performed by the artists of this calibre (by which I include the person at the very back in the Corps), could never be dated. Anyone, who is as disrespectful to artists or ignorant about arts, as being able to dismiss something as beautiful art works like this , does not deserve to comment on them.
    Negative reactions from some are due to the fact that they do not at all know about different dancing styles and techniques. And this is a fault of the audiences for not learning about them with an open mind, but never of the Mariinsky.
    ~~~
    Ms Vishneva lacks (bear with me) in innate warmth, profundity and maturity that Ms Lopatkina has, but it was an absolute joy to see her expressing an infatuated love, childishness of a girl. I saw both Prokofiev’s, Romeo & Juliet and Cinderella; no one does these roles better than this girl!! As a matter of fact, her “girlish” emotions and spontaneity became completely identical to those of Cinderella, so much so that her energy could have easily pushed Ms Vishneva out of the stage when she dared to squeeze in the second leap in a sequence as the ROH’s stage, much smaller than that of the Mariinsky. She has such a strong technique, and is able to elevate a whole production to a higher level. I hope anyone who missed her this time around will be able to see her during her next visit to London!!
    ~~~
    Mr Zverev, as von Rothbart, was to my taste slightly on a genteel side from my understanding of a personification of evil. But this very tall noble looking man totally shined in his princely roles.
    ~~~
    After Mariinsky’s three-week tour concluded, I would like to congratulate all the artists, and to give my special thanks to the Principal Character Artists: Mr Ponomarev: Formidable King. Ms Bazhenova: Queen of Magic. Mr Yakovlev: Sagacious Mentor. Mr Kulaev: Dependable Father. Ms Belik: Exotic Sister. They are the cores of every story. (PS: We are sorry, Mr Kulaev, that your are unaccredited in the programme)
    ~~~
    Everyone cannot help themselves for commenting on the level of Mariinsky’s Corp de Ballet; and with a good reason. Only the best of the best dancers can be in the Mariinsky’s Corps. Of the seven performances I attended, there was only one incident where there was a minor disturbance on a slippery stage (without the dancer’s fault, I must emphasise; during the Ball scene in Cinderella: the condition of the stage closer to the edge seemed somewhat wrong on the day).
    Some individuals were given solo performances during the London tour, all of whom proved themselves to be worthy of their roles; they could easily be genuinely soloists in other companies, I am sure.
    ~~~
    Orchestra was fantastic.

3. r.a. responded on 17 August 2014 at 5:36pm Reply

I saw Friday night with Vishneva. Absolutely stunning. Very surprised to see the comment above. I particularly liked the sets and the costumes were excellent - simple, clear lines and good use of colour. I didn't enjoy Ratmansky's choreography for the Royal Ballet of 24 Preludes earlier this year, but I liked his choregraphy for this very much and it was wonderful to see Vishneva dance the role that he created on her. I thought it was a magical evening.

4. Barry Hawkes responded on 17 August 2014 at 11:07pm Reply

I lack all in depth knowledge of ballet but perhaps it isn't necessary as I enjoyed the performance so much The sheer professionalism and enjoyment of the artistes made for a memorable performance. Perhaps 'ignorance is bliss'?

5. Caught the first performance with Vishneva and Zverev as Cinderella and her Prince. The production is anything but dated looking (considering the many other Cinderellas I've seen) - whether or not you like the sets with the stairs that echo those of West Side Story or the revolving chandelier-clock (and I do), they do look distinctive enough not to scream "2002". In fact, I had to check that the date of the production was actually 2002 and not 2012. Vishneva manages to portray the vulnerability and girlishness of Cinderella, and doesn't let her superstar status overwhelm her fellow dancers. Zverev really suits this role of the Prince and has managed to make the choreography and character stand out. The supporting cast of Bazhenova, Petushkova, Frolova and Ivannikova were brilliant. The choreography that Ratmasky has given Cinderella and her Prince for their duets and solos is among the best we've had so far this century.

6. Sheila responded on 18 August 2014 at 6:06pm Reply

So now I know, that not all contemporary dance is for me. Like Linda, I was sadly disappointed. I looked forward to beautiful music, stage set, costumes and dancing for my final Mariinsky performance. I have seen them all and liked this the least. The stepmother was brilliant and the ugly sisters were not very ugly. I realized that I was watching pantomime that was wonderfully danced. The music was too loud and jarring after watching the amazing pianist who had brought tears to my eyes with his amazing playing. I am learning about ballet all the time and finding what I enjoy. Firebird was beautiful, costume, music, dance but this Cinderella was just not for me.

7. I am glad that persons posted comments after my earlier one seemed to have been able to appreciate the performance like I had.
    I, too, liked the sets and costumes. They are representing geometric shapes, in an Art Deco style of 20’s~40’s; at the very end of this era, Prokofiev wrote the music. They have been designed for the audience to be able to see Mr Ratmansky’s unique choreography more clearly. This simplicity was only possible where the company is absolutely confident that all its dancers have superior techniques so that they do not have to delude the audience with unnecessary decorations. All in all, this was a fantastic finale to their London tour this summer.

8. Dana responded on 21 August 2014 at 6:10pm Reply

For me, it was more panto than ballet. I truly hope the RB will be performing this one in the near future!