Your reaction: The Dream / Connectome / The Concert

What did you think of The Royal Ballet's Mixed programme featuring works by Ashton, Marriott and Robbins?

By Chris Shipman (Content Producer (Social Media and News))

1 June 2014 at 8.43am | 17 Comments

What did you think of The Dream / Connectome / The Concert?

The Royal Ballet's triple programme of The Dream, Connectome and The Concert runs 31 May–13 June 2014. Tickets are still available.

1. Koji responded on 1 June 2014 at 10:36am Reply

It is worth waiting to see the Concert for 13 years.

2. Graeme responded on 1 June 2014 at 10:45am Reply

Enjoy all three pieces which contrasted well. The set design in Connectome was very clever (particularly the projection of the singer) but just gets too distracting.

3. W J Owen responded on 1 June 2014 at 2:48pm Reply

Enjoyable evening last night. Loved the Dream. Macrae worked hard and was truly magnificent in the first two ballets. Loved Osipova as ever but felt that Connectome didn't quite work . I felt that it lacked dance content and that its wonderful dancers were underused. Ashton still reigns supreme! The Concert was amusing in a few parts but I agree it is dated and , in my opinion, unfocused as a work. Thought Lauren Cuthbertson was great though , especially as the lovestruck concert goer at the beginning. Have seen a lot of Bennet Garside this year and it was great that he had so many opportunities to shine last night. Love the fact that he dances in such a manly way. ( this is a compliment!)

4. Alexa Williamson responded on 1 June 2014 at 5:57pm Reply

Wonderful pieces! So glad I went! Don't know how they were all connected but the dancers skills were utterly amazing. Loved Macrae and Marquez in The Dream and the costumes were to die for. Loved the energy of Connectome but the lights were annoying after about 1 minute and someone said re the costumes, "They are dancing in their underwear". I thought that too, but didn't say it out loud! Loved The Concert one of the most unique and funny pieces I have ever seen. Loved Cuthbertson in that. One of her best roles ever. Also Oberon was one of Macrae's best roles ever. And Osipova made Connectome fly. I think it would have failed if she had not been so dynamic and perfect in that. Thank you ROH you outdid yourselves. Again like another poster on here said, thank goodness that Connectome was not Tectractys!

5. Dana responded on 2 June 2014 at 11:42am Reply

This was the first time I enjoyed every piece of a triple bill. Perfect.

6. Mary Morris responded on 2 June 2014 at 1:59pm Reply

Loved the triple bill and so good to see Sibley and Dowell again; I was at the first night in 1964! I found the lights in Connectome quite off-putting and they made me feel dizzy and a bit sick. Had to keep closing my eyes - not good to see ballet. Dancing superb all round.

7. seejaybe responded on 3 June 2014 at 9:20am Reply

An evening of memorable contrasts and excellent dancing at a knockdown triple bill bargain price. McRae was excellent in Dream which I, too, saw fifty years ago and it was good that Sibley and Dowell were received with such warmth at their curtain call. The Orchestra could add to Bottom's character by playing the 'donkey bray' orchestrations as they used to. Marquez brought out something I had never seen before when, at the end, she recalls her dream/adventure with a beguiling mixture of regret and remorse. Connectome was intriguing - not least in its choice of score: the marriage of human emotions and cerebral functions was etched clearly and executed superbly by Osipova, McRae and all. The last section was like hearing Mahler's 'Nachtmusik'' from Symphony # 7 re-assembled in an altogether new and magical way. The video projections were a tour de force in their own right and may soften in their impact with repeated viewings, but on the first night often proved an unnecessary distraction. In Row D of the Stalls I was frustrated at the lack of complete visibility of dancers' feet and missed some of the groundwork due to the layout of that particular area of the auditorium: fine for opera, but disappointing for ballet - especially when Bottom's toe-dancing was unable to register completely. The Concert was appealing danced and the laughs were still there - even more than I recall from the pianist - and with the audience throwing PC to the winds by laughing at the bottom-patting during one episode. (How times have changed - he would be up for sexual harassment these days!) Fine programme notes added to the enjoyment of the evening and were essential reading for Connectome: on a previous visit (my first time to the engrossing Sweet Violets), I was completely at sea without guidance.

• Nina Battleday responded on 12 June 2014 at 6:01pm

Before the renovation of the Opera House, my favourite,seat was,front row,stalls. But since then either the floor of t auditorium has been lowered, or the stage raised and it's impossible to see the lower limbs and feet of dancers. If Row D has,the same problem it seems to me that the seats,should be sold as restricted view. Seeing the programme tomorrow - from stalls circle!

8. Claire Cohen responded on 5 June 2014 at 11:08pm Reply

Superb dancing throughout was overshadowed by the degree of contrast between the three pieces which left me with a feeling of disconnect. ..or have I missed something?

9. Bridie Macmahon responded on 7 June 2014 at 9:38am Reply

Thank you for a superb triple bill. I very much hope that Connectome will stay in the repertory - I found it very beautiful, moving and visually stunning.

10. Corinna Ferros responded on 11 June 2014 at 10:41am Reply

I saw this accompanying my son's school trip. The children responded with great exuberance, especially to the Concert, though when I asked them, most of them liked the Dream best. I loved Connectome the best. Totally mesmerizing. I wish I could see it again but I see it is all booked out. Superb contrasting programme - I have only ever seen one ballet at a time but I would definitely choose a mixed programme for myself in future.

11. sophie responded on 11 June 2014 at 11:39am Reply

LOVED the mix! Was so refreshing. Thank you!

12. Kevin responded on 14 June 2014 at 12:41am Reply

In "The Dream" who were those people with mobile phones in the wings? What were they doing there? Utterly bizarre?

Can't somebody be bothered to clean the floor before a performance??

• Ellen West (Head of Online Content) responded on 17 June 2014 at 12:48pm

Dear Kevin

I have passed your comment on to the Front of House team. Apologies if you found the auditorium less than clean and tidy.

Best wishes

Ellen

• Kevin responded on 18 June 2014 at 11:26pm

Sorry. I didn't mean the auditorium. I meant the stage. The flooring is covered in scuff marks. Half the audience are in the amphitheatre and they are looking at the flooring on the stage. It seems that nobody goes over it with a mop before the next performance. In the stalls it doesn't show but in the balcony or the amphitheatre, it really doesn't look good.
      Actually, do the Ballet, Opera staff view the performance from different parts of the theatre? In the auditorium for the Te Deum in Tosca, you are looking at feet. In La Somnambula, the chorus in the balcony on stage were completely invisible for the audience in the amphitheatre. Thanks.

13. John responded on 14 June 2014 at 5:21pm Reply

Very interesting performance.

14. Jakegee responded on 17 June 2014 at 12:50am Reply

I saw this delightful mixed programme on its opening night and found all three parts really exciting. Then I was there again on Thursday 12th June to see it with a different cast list. Again, I enjoyed it immensely, but I must mention an incident which drew a wonderful spontaneous burst of applause from the audience! ......... Matthew Golding was 'Oberon' in "The Dream", and late in the performance his coronet came loose and eventually fell onto the stage. Many in the audience wondered if it might cause an accidental slip. Then, a few seconds later, Valentino Zucchetti (a delightful 'Puck'!) came back on stage and, without missing a step, neatly toe-flicked the errant coronet into the wings and safely offstage!! I would commend him to the Italian team in the World Cup - or perhaps he might get a place in the England team if he has Dual Nationality??!! Well done, Valentino!! A wonderful performance and a skillful 'goal' !!