Your reaction: The Bolshoi's La Bayadère

Audience tweets from all three performances of La Bayadère, during the company's summer 2013 season at the Royal Opera House.

By Ellen West (Head of Online Content)

4 August 2013 at 10.57am | 7 Comments

Did you see the Bolshoi perform La Bayadère? Add your comments below.

The Bolshoi Ballet perform Swan Lake, The Sleeping Beauty, Jewels and The Flames of Paris until 17 August. Performances are sold out except for returns and there are no day tickets for Bolshoi productions.

By Ellen West (Head of Online Content)

4 August 2013 at 10.57am

This article has been categorised Ballet and tagged audience, Ballet, Bolshoi Ballet, by Yuri Grigorovich, comments, Evgenia Obraztsova, La Bayadere, Olga Smirnova, Production, your reaction

1. Katie V responded on 4 August 2013 at 1:07pm Reply

I was one of those "Blacked Up Boys" but we were all girls hahah and it was an incredible experience. Sorry if you thought we were too distracting in Golden Idol...well...

• L-Yuan Han responded on 4 August 2013 at 4:28pm

You are right, Katie. Ignore what the others said. You had a good time. I saw Bolshoi' s Bayadere twice. Can't see enough of it. Good show.

2. Teresa Guerreiro responded on 4 August 2013 at 1:27pm Reply

Who on earth thought is was a good idea to have those two little girls en pointe for the jug dance? And speaking of point, is there a point to resurrecting this silly notion of blacked up piccaninnies???
    Not a good revision of the work, I think. The Shadows were glorious, Smirnova was a good Nikiya and Semyon Chudin is a beautiful dancer. Mixed feelings. It seems the Bolshoi no longer packs the punch it once did.

3. May responded on 4 August 2013 at 3:44pm Reply

The little girls who danced the children's roles were excellent! I thought Smirnova, Chudin, Krysanova were phenomenally talented. I have yet to find a Bayadere production anywhere that I really like (there's always a quibble somewhere), but the Bolshoi performance was fantastic.

4. R.Dix responded on 4 August 2013 at 6:13pm Reply

I watched on Friday night and really enjoyed it all.I know one of the young girls who danced on Friday night ,the Jug dance (different cast from Saturday) and thought they were exceptional.
    It was my first time seeing the Bolshoi and will not be my last.

5. Terry Carch responded on 4 August 2013 at 10:29pm Reply

I`v seen the Boshoi at the Metropolitan Opera House at Lincoln Center when I was younger at least three or four times in New York City whe n Obraztsove wasn`t even born yet. I just wish I could see Genia in person somday if ever.

6. rex pengilly responded on 8 August 2013 at 10:35am Reply

We so enjoyed La Bayadere, how anyone who was priveleged enough to be there and see it could find fault with it is beyond me well done to all involved and especially to Daria Bochkova who stepped in after Alexandrova was injured..

Connect with Facebook