Your reaction: Raven Girl and Symphony in C

A selection of tweets from the opening night of ballets by Wayne McGregor and Balanchine.

By Ellen West (Head of Online Content)

25 May 2013 at 9.04am | 14 Comments

The Raven Girl/Symphony in C Mixed Programme runs until 8 June. Tickets are still available.

Production of Raven Girl is made possible by generous philanthropic support from The Taylor Family Foundation, Mr and Mrs Brian Capstick, David Hancock, Linda and Philip Harley, an anonymous donor and The New Ballet Works Syndicate.

1. DaveM responded on 25 May 2013 at 10:17am Reply

Raven Girl - the bits I could see I liked, though an awful lot disappeared into the gloom, and the harsh spotlights on bright white areas induced a headache. Loved the ending pdd (I think that could survive in its own right as a gala piece). Most of the solos good too - and the Raven Girls wings were beautiful!
    That screen at stage front though - oh so 20th century! Yuck!

Symphony in C - sublime. Never fails to lift the spirits

2. Raven Girl was much anticipated, other worldly, a beautifully told story and gorgeous music, would love to see it again.

3. David Gifford responded on 25 May 2013 at 1:41pm Reply

I was disappointed. Seemed to me that McGregor's gift for abstract, edgy choreography didn't translate well into narrative ballet. Watson's abilities, in particular, were wasted, and there were acres of lack-lustre choreography (seeing it, without knowing, I would have been hard-pressed to guess it was McGregor - at least until the Raven Prince / Raven Girl duet at the end).
    Some arresting visuals, but they often drew attention to the thinness of the choreography. Lighting was too gloomy (atmospheric?) at times. Corps seemed to be doing endless side-shuffling in the darkness!
    I usually love McGregor's work, but I'll not be in a hurry to see this again.

4. When it comes to contemporary stuff, Paul Kay doesn't just dance, he channels! Who or what, I don't know (or care). He is excellent.

#PROMOTEPAULKAY

5. I found all of the videos was too loud and too patronising in Raven Girl. I don't understand why McGregor did not let the dancers tell the story by their dancing.

6. Gisela Watts responded on 27 May 2013 at 11:54am Reply

We saw the general rehearsal on the Friday and thought it was fab! Could happily have sat through it all over again. It was wonderful and congratulations to everyone involved.

7. Phillip Arnold responded on 29 May 2013 at 11:38pm Reply

I really liked it - more dance than I expected from others' comments. Never bored. Story a bit difficult to follow at times. Narrative needs tightening up. Music gorgeous.

8. brian wilkinson responded on 30 May 2013 at 1:12am Reply

A wonderful, hypnotic, dark, uplifting and magical ballet, WM has captured the essence of the need to be free to follow one's true spirit. Your heart will ache for Raven Girl. Bravo Melissa Hamilton and the ROH !!!!

9. Diana Watkins responded on 30 May 2013 at 3:36am Reply

Raven Girl was outstanding visually & musically, equal to recent 'Rites of Spring' at the ENO, though comparison is ridiculous, both are marvellous. Young people's travails in the world, exquisite in every way, though I believe the view from the near sides proved to be more effective for some of the audience. I loved it, inspiring and from the heart. Thank you.

10. kj responded on 30 May 2013 at 7:19pm Reply

I thought Raven Girl was rather dull and not dark enough, my eagle eyes could see people creeping on! I found it too 'theatre' and it didn't feel right for the main stage or maybe it was that I was in an overpriced section of the crowd, where I'm usually up in the ampitheatre. I prefered Akram Khans new piece of theatre ITOMI @sadlers I saw the night before, where linked dark scenes and people appeared with real suprise, magic and fluidity. I understand the darkness and slow rhythm of the piece was part of making an atmosphere, in which case why was so much of the piece about manouvering so many props on, off and about the stage?! the operating table flying on by itself was an unintended amusing moment, sniggers in the stalls! This was not clever choreography, it was rather exposed.
    Instead of the overused hyperspeed contortions, with few 'moments' and an overpowering score, McGregors choreography slipped into a coma although it was still uncomfortable, with only brief dancing and few steps of any interest at all, a waste of the dance talent offered to him. Some country dancing 'corps de cunningham' was just weak milling around, perform a real cunningham piece! yes do! McGregors language was abandoned except for a duet or two, an empty offering unfortunately, replaced by an overactive set and some burlesque tableaux to a score that had simplistic sections too but was overall an interesting score that steps and patterns would have happily danced apon. The story was vacuous and patronisingly portrayed although it is a fairy tale I suppose. The movement was just unexpressive, cold and suprisingly didn't grip me or the young woman infront of me who fidgeted continually, it lacked something fundamental to narratives and a macabre narrative I would have expected McGregor might suit. It had its moments namely 'the wings' solo, but I had no interest or belief in the characters. I wish McGregor would do something abstract but slow it down, breathe release... lay off the heavy music and be more caring about the individual, about dance. Its all too souless and unrewarding for me. Maybe more choreographic collaboration like Metamorphosis last yr should be employed to add what is lacking with all these young choreographers individually most of the time. But hey enough of this giving all the male choreographers endless chances, maybe McGregor has done his good stuff, move on... time to give a woman a chance! more than one, ten! I'm utterly fed up with the very male machine. Lets freshen things up with a new perspective one that represents in simple terms 50% of the audience and no I don't want to see pink sets and fluffy dancing. Come on girls!

11. Dr Nicola Martin responded on 8 June 2013 at 9:13am Reply

I hope my contortionist son and actor daughter like Raven girl-we're going today-rather exciting

• Ellen West (Head of Online Content) responded on 8 June 2013 at 9:57am

Hope that you have a great time!

12. Dr Nicola Martin responded on 9 June 2013 at 11:52am Reply

Do not sit in Donald Gordon Grand Tier box 41 (unless you have a severe visual impairment and were not in a position to be able to see anything as a result). The action is largely stage left therefore invisible from this box.

Connect with Facebook