Your reaction: Les Troyens opening night

A selection of tweets from the premiere of David McVicar's new production.

By Chris Shipman (Content Producer (Social Media and News))

26 June 2012 at 2.31pm | 8 Comments

Les Troyens continues until 11 July. There are 67 day tickets available for each performance available from 10am at the Box Office.

By Chris Shipman (Content Producer (Social Media and News))

26 June 2012 at 2.31pm

This article has been categorised Opera and tagged Berlioz, David Mcvicar, Les Troyens, Production, reaction, Reviews, Social Media, twitter

1. Amazing. No words can do justice to this incredible opera from the epic Virgil. I was hooked from the first note. Spectacular in so many ways. Well done ROH

2. Armin Eiber responded on 27 June 2012 at 12:16pm Reply

I loved the production and especially the singing and music. Sheer bliss. Anna-Caterina and Eva-Maria were wonderful and I was most surprised by Brian Hymel who sang not only brilliantly but was also so suitable next to Eva-Maria. The small negatives for me were the metal horse and head (I assume it was Hannibal's) which didn't impress me at all, as was the final scene which I think was a bit weak both from a stage set (didn't like the pyre made of metal) and the dying scene. Also, struggled a bit with the costumes and timing but that was just a minor point. Overall it was a fantastic performance and a very short 5.5 hours as I was mesmerised for most of the time and in another world. Thank you!

3. David Lindsay responded on 4 July 2012 at 10:15am Reply

A fine production with a few minor reservations. For example, surely the Royal Hunt & Storm symbolising the consummation of Dido & Aeneas' love should come after the love duet - also, at least from where I was sitting, there was no sign of the 'Vision of the Capitol in Rome' when Dido dies, asked for by the composer. I suppose the ROH wanted to get maximum value out of the horse!

4. Margaret Crawford responded on 7 July 2012 at 12:51pm Reply

Absolutely wonderful! A truly thrilling evening watching and listening to this beautiful and powerful production - brilliant orchestration - spectacular sets - fabulous singing. A night to remember. I visit the opera more than 10x a year, and this spectacular production must be the ne plus ultra of all ! Thank you !

5. Steve Northam responded on 12 July 2012 at 9:42am Reply

History in the making, this must be the most complete performance of Troyens thus far. To bring together on such a scale, the score, the singers, the choreography, the set, the flames etc is an incredible achievement. I've no reservations at all about the 'metal' horse or the figure that appears in the final scene, which I assumed was Hades(?). Glad to have been there.

6. Pooh responded on 12 July 2012 at 3:27pm Reply

Awesome sets - really very stunning. Acts three and four are really rather dull. Music overall is good, but not too memorable - it only gets really good when people are killing themselves. Overall really fanstic though, even from the slips!
    Cheers

7. leila responded on 25 November 2012 at 12:16pm Reply

Extraordinary.....I love the story of Troy....How can I get the movie of Opera on DVD? I'm living in other country...

• Chris Shipman (Content Producer (Social Media and News)) responded on 26 November 2012 at 10:43am

Hi Leila,

Glad to hear you're excited. Yes the production will be released on DVD in 2013. You'll be able to buy it from overseas via our online shop, which will return soon.

Thanks