Your reaction: L'elisir d'amore in cinemas 2014

What did you think of the live cinema relay of Laurent Pelly's Royal Opera production of Donizetti's comedy?

By Chris Shipman (Head of Brand Engagement and Social Media)

26 November 2014 at 10.33pm | 10 Comments

What did you think of L'elisir d'amore?

L'elisir d'amore runs from 27 May–22 June 2017. Tickets are still available.

By Chris Shipman (Head of Brand Engagement and Social Media)

26 November 2014 at 10.33pm

This article has been categorised Opera and tagged by Laurent Pelly, cinema, L'Elisir d'amore, live, movies, Production, review, Social Media, twitter, your reaction

1. Jillie responded on 27 November 2014 at 12:13am Reply

Brilliant performances but please explain why Vittorio had a top with a message for his curtain call.

• Ellen West (Head of Creative Studios and Digital Products) responded on 4 December 2014 at 9:20am

Dear Jillie

We cannot explain it. Do ask him directly via social media.

Best wishes

Ellen

2. Alison Brown responded on 27 November 2014 at 12:52am Reply

From Vittorio Grigolo's superb solo in the second act to minute detail such as a trail of paper on someone's shoe after visiting the 'smelly' toilet, this was yet again a world class performance from the Royal Opera House. Thank you to everybody involved including the dog.

3. Peter Erdos responded on 27 November 2014 at 11:11am Reply

As I am not attending performances in the house any more, the cinema relays prove a good alternative."Elisir" is one of my favourite operas and seen many performances. This current performance is ranking among the best.Although in my memory I have Carreras, Pavarotti, Kraus, Gedda, Alagna I found Grigolo following the list in singing and acting the role superbly. His mimicry comes out in the close ups on screen perfectly. Wonderful performance! Lucy Crowe is charming and delightful all the way through."Prendi" was superbly touching and well sung. I found Terfel a little under par in the patter of Dulcamara's entry (I will never forget Geraint Evans in the role) but in the second act he was brilliant. Levente Molnar was good, fitting in the role, although not bombastic enough. The conducting by the young Rustioni was excellent, well placed. The production has well settled, very enjoyable and hugely entertaining. The introductions to the acts by the lady (who is she by the way?) was extremely weak but did not spoil the evening.

4. Peter Seddon responded on 27 November 2014 at 1:55pm Reply

Can only be jealous of all the congratulatory comments - we missed the second half due to Cineworld Solihull's inability to maintain a connection. This is the third time this year that I am aware they have had problems, twice returning ticket money and once missing 10 minutes at the start of the second half of Carmen (MET Opera).
    Well done to RoH for a superb show and their offer to talk to Cineworld.
    Peter

5. Dorothy Limb responded on 29 November 2014 at 1:04pm Reply

A brilliant evening from ROH. Lucy Crowe was so delightful with superb facial nuances and so amazing in her vocal gymnastics. (so soon after having a baby too). My husband's first opera & he loved it. Grigolo rather over the top but a great voice. What can you say about Bryn Terfel? He appeared to enjoy himself as much as the audience. A fantastic production when filmed with great close ups you wouldn't get in house.

6. fontaine responded on 4 December 2014 at 11:01am Reply

Mes amis et moi avons été enchantés par ce merveilleux spectacle complétement réussi. Merci au ROH.

7. Our magazine (www.londraitalia.com) has been at the live opera screening in a cinema in central Italy. Here is his fascinating tale of the experience (in Italian only, sorry) written by our Cultural editor Michele Bartoletti Stella. http://www.londraitalia.com/cultura/essere-al-cinema-italia-e-sentirsi-allopera-al-covent-garden-di-londra/

8. Jung Jacobs responded on 31 December 2014 at 1:35pm Reply

I saw this opera production by pictures
    Sure the singing is extraordenary good as well as the orchestra
    But the stage........!! If I was there and payed fora seat in this performance I feel like robbed by the opera This spectacel is so horribel to look at .Poor Donizetti.Al glamour and meaning of his work is gone
    I think no audiance is waiting for such horribel showw
    Give us-the Opera lovers the classic performance And that will be as beautifuyl as can be and keep this modern staging for those who dont know what Opera is

Really horribel

9. lesley davies responded on 7 February 2015 at 8:59pm Reply

For me the setting was pure la dolce vita and brought a real charm. Not all operas work by taking them out of their original setting, but this did. I am at heart a purist, but I loved this. Sorry but I did not care for Lucy Crowe.She is fine in the lower register, but missed at least two top notes ! I've seen her play Rosalinde ,and she did just the same.Loved Grigolo, he made me cry. Rather spoiled at Knutsford cinema as we had buffering on the overture, and lost sub titles in the second half. Despite that,a lovely way to spend a Sunday morning for the Encore. This is THE way to see opera,so much detail that you would miss in the rear circle.