Your reaction: L'elisir d'amore 2014

What did you think of Laurent Pelly's production of Donizetti's comedy?

By Chris Shipman (Head of Brand Engagement and Social Media)

19 November 2014 at 10.31am | 29 Comments

Press reviews:
Telegraph ★★★★
Times (Paywall) ★★★★
Independent ★★★★
What's On Stage ★★★★
Financial Times ★★★★
The Stage ★★★★
Arts Desk (Paywall) ★★★★
Evening Standard ★★★
Guardian ★★★

What did you think of L'elisir d'amore?

L'elisir d'amore runs from 27 May–22 June 2017. Tickets are still available.

By Chris Shipman (Head of Brand Engagement and Social Media)

19 November 2014 at 10.31am

This article has been categorised Opera and tagged Bryn Terfel, by Laurent Pelly, L'Elisir d'amore, Lucy Crowe, Production, review, Social Media, twitter, Vittorio Grigolo

1. A superb performance last night (18 Nov). I hadn't seen this production since 2007 and I booked mainly because of Vittorio Grigolo being in the cast. He was as good as I've ever seen him and Lucy and Bryn added very much to the sheer enjoyment.

2. Geoff responded on 19 November 2014 at 6:45pm Reply

Well, ok, maybe things improved after the dress rehearsal. I couldn't make the first night and it is wrong to judge a rehearsal. However the review in for example the Evening Standard, while polite, fingers the problems. Lucy Crowe is possibly not really up to this, nor (if one simply listens to the sound he's making these days, without being distracted by stage stardom) is Bryn. It's a lovely show, just don't expect top flight bel canto of an international standard.

3. francois responded on 20 November 2014 at 12:08am Reply

Excellent show, brilliant, stimulating. Outstanding performances from Terfel and Grigolo, a pure delight throughout the performance. And beautifully poetic conducting by Rustioni. A really enjoyable evening, do not miss it !

4. michael responded on 20 November 2014 at 3:32am Reply

Dear Mr Grigolo,
    I have now had the wonderful chance to hear you live for the 8 th time mostly at the Royal Opera House. I was fortunate enough to be at the premiere of Manon a few years ago when you sang one of the most moving Des Grieux I have heard in the 30 some years I have been going to the opera.
    I then saw you in Faust, Rigoletto, Bohème at the ROH and Lucia in Paris.
    Everytime I have had the pleasure to hear you I am impressed by the quality, the size and the beauty of your voice.
    When you sang Faust ( during the curtain call) you wore a T-Shirt that said " I love London ".
    Well Mr Grigolo after the premier of Elisir d amore now you know for sure that London loves you in return.
    I wish you a long and wonderful carreer ( with as many stops in London as you can and cannot wait to hear you again very soon at the ROH.

5. Carole Weinstein responded on 20 November 2014 at 5:30pm Reply

Vittorio is my favourite singer with a wonderful voice and acting ability. I have his recordings and wait for more. I saw him in La Boheme recently and I am hoping to see him next week in the live broadcaste.

6. Tony Boyd-Williams responded on 21 November 2014 at 4:21pm Reply

Another glorious evening at ROH, and so very good to see this marvellous production again. Looking forward to seeing more work at Covent Garden from the talented Laurent Pelly and team .Meanwhile, bravo to all concerned on Tuesday evening!

7. vernon sanderson responded on 23 November 2014 at 6:36pm Reply

We went to the matinee performance on 22nd November. Absolutely brilliant performance from all in the lead roles, the supporting cast and the crew. This was the climax of a fantastic day when ROH opened its doors to families for backstage tours and activities and with tickets for the opera itself not so much reasonably priced as the bargain of the century. Well done indeed to all in L'eliser and at ROH.

8. Eleanor Wenban responded on 24 November 2014 at 11:54am Reply

It was a delightful first opera to watch for a family. My children- age 13 and 7- said it was awesome and amazing. The hands-on, interactive activities before the show made going to the opera fun and "accessible"- as my 13year old concluded that opera is definitely not only for the older generation. It is for everyone- young and old alike! Thank you to everyone at the ROH- you all made it a perfect family day out!

9. I find it A disaster.

10. Ok. The previous comment concerns the first scene. The second scene is now much better, would say really emotional

11. Take back my first coment. It is really favoloso. The performance of 26 november. Thanks!

12. liz brereton responded on 26 November 2014 at 11:01pm Reply

Just seen the live broadcast. Lucy Crowe was sublime. What a voice. A great career ahead of her. Bryn was, as expected, glorious. I am not particularly fond of Grigolo, and having seen his silly teeshirt after Faust, I was hoping the producer would take him in hand, and advise him as to how to take a curtain call. No, afraid not! Anyone know why he needs to behave like this? It's most unprofessional.

13. Francis Wilkinson responded on 26 November 2014 at 11:12pm Reply

Saw the performance tonight - 26 Nov, at my local cinema. It was superb. These broadcasts are fast catching on and I really hope they will become part of the 'normal' way of seeing both opera and ballet. A wonderful evening - thank you all.

14. Vivi armitage responded on 26 November 2014 at 11:25pm Reply

We have just been to see this at our local cinema. - just wonderful. My other half is not a opera fan but he thoroughly enjoyed it too and even shed a tear! We could have chosen a 'best performer' as they were all superb. Fantastic.

15. Gill Siviter responded on 26 November 2014 at 11:47pm Reply

Brilliant production watched in the cinema. All four leads were brilliant. I do not agree with one of the comments about Lucy Crowe as I thought she comfortably mastered the vocal acrobatics of this opera. Grigolo was also wonderful and it was a thoroughly entertaining evening.

• Geoff responded on 27 November 2014 at 12:57pm

Just to explain, you are right (on the runs and so on) and I am sure, when miked up for cinema transmission, her voice sounds delightful. However in the big house, the bloom of that voice - to my taste and these things are always subjective - is not competitive with some others doing this repertoire at the very top (Met, Vienna and so on). Experienced live, this was shown up in comparison with Grigolo, which some of the critics have tactfully alluded to.

Sorry if I was unclear and glad you had a good time.

16. Susan Edmunds responded on 27 November 2014 at 12:04am Reply

Incomparable!

17. Marc le Guen responded on 27 November 2014 at 9:38am Reply

Watche the production last night at the CGR in la Rochelle,France. It was brilliant and the best I have seen. Thanks for giving us the opportunity to share it. Would a DVd be available to buy laterfrom you shop of Amazon?

• Ellen West (Head of Product Management) responded on 27 November 2014 at 9:59am

Glad that you enjoyed it Marc. Not sure yet whether this performance will be released on DVD - if it is we will flag on the blog.

Best wishes

Ellen

18. Herb Goldschmidt responded on 27 November 2014 at 9:57am Reply

Saw it last night in our local cinema - delightful! Interesting how the dynamics of the thing change when viewed close-up: Lucy Crowe's voice came across beautifully, and her acting was delightfully flirtatious, just right; whereas Vittorio Grigolo was too in-your-face.

19. Elena responded on 27 November 2014 at 3:25pm Reply

I saw this wonderful production in the cinema last night and enjoyed it enormously from the beginning till the end. The staging, the voices, the music... were simply perfect. Is the ROH planning to release a DVD with this amazing production? I would love to see it again.

• Chris Shipman (Head of Brand Engagement and Social Media) responded on 28 November 2014 at 10:29am

Hi Elena,

No DVD is yet confirmed. But do keep an eye on these pages for info as and when it becomes available.

Thanks

Chris
      ROH Content Producer

20. veronica responded on 29 November 2014 at 6:53pm Reply

Vittorio Grigolo is a complete hunk/angel, his voice carries so much emotion and musicality, Italian opera perfectly suits his passion for expression......thanks to Niamh for taking me!

21. Ed Clement responded on 29 November 2014 at 8:04pm Reply

Listening to the broadcast on Radio 3, Grigolo is fabulous, a truly Italianate tenor of a kind that has been noticeably rare at Covent Garden in recent years. Terfel is terrible, blustering unmusically through the patter, uncertain of pitch in the sustained notes, and distinctly short of comic timing - hopelessly miscast. He also clearly thinks that singing in time with the orchestra is beneath his ego, which is a great pity, since the conductor is, by and large, idiomatic and with a strong sense of rhythm. Lucy Crowe is acceptable, a rather shrill and hard voice at the service of an accomplished technique. Glad to hear the performance, but not sorry that I did not travel down to London to see it.

22. Rena responded on 29 November 2014 at 8:17pm Reply

I am just going through a difficult time in my life, so I almost forgot to pick up the cinema transmission ticket I had purchased online quite a while ago. Well, I am sooo glad I did not miss this marvellous show!
    While I have to admit that I am still kind of an opera newbie and a bit afraid of "modern productions", I had such a great time, enjoying every minute. I just LOVED, LOVED, LOVED the opera's storyline, the cast and their brilliant performance, the perfectly fitting 1950s Italian set and costume design (also cudos to the light effects - so nice to watch the background sky gradually darken from bright daylight to the appearing stars). All these countless charming or funny details have been so entertaining, from the running dog to the stage curtain full of hilarious "beauty/medical Dulcamara ads".
    When I arrived at home just before midnight, my mood was so much lighter and I still think back fondly to this unforgettable evening. Actually, the main reason I went to this page today is that I wanted to see if there are plans to release a DVD. Hopefully there are...
    Anyway, I am looking forward to my next ROH cinema transmission here in Munich, Germany.

23. Liane responded on 8 December 2014 at 10:15pm Reply

I couldn't agree more with all the favorable comments above. I especially went to see and hear Grigolo who I saw 11 years ago in Rome in the same role and was very impressed by his singing, acting and stage presence then. This time he was much better still, a real delight. Also all the other artists, conductor and particularly the choir and orchestra were brilliant. A truly feelgood and uplifting evening.

24. Maria responded on 10 December 2014 at 1:02am Reply

We were told before the performance that Vittorio Grigolo had a cold but he still sang and acted beautifully and with full effort. He was superb.

25. léna responded on 27 December 2014 at 11:41pm Reply

please release a new DVD of this production with this cast!!