Your reaction: La traviata on BP Big Screens 2014

What did you think of the first of three BP Big Screens this summer, which was also streamed live around the world?

By Chris Shipman (Content Producer (Social Media and News))

20 May 2014 at 10.34pm | 19 Comments

What did you think of La traviata on BP Big Screens?

Other Royal Opera productions on BP Big Screens this summer include La boheme on 15 July and Rigoletto on 17 September 2014. If you enjoyed La traviata on BP Big Screens you may also enjoy our monthly cinema relays. Find your nearest cinema and sign up to our newsletter.

By Chris Shipman (Content Producer (Social Media and News))

20 May 2014 at 10.34pm

This article has been categorised Opera and tagged #BPbigscreens, BP Big Screens, by Richard Eyre, Instagram, La traviata, Production, Social Media, twitter, your reaction

1. Hugo Tenorio responded on 21 May 2014 at 5:09am Reply

Hi, I was very lucky to fly from México last december to attend to The Nutcraker Ballet at ROH. It was a great experience, but today, being able to seat at home and witness live Opera from Covent Garden, (with all HD and Stereo gadgets) was quite exciting!
    I know very little about Opera, but I got the chills when Alfredo started singing!! He's a star! I also enjoyed of course, the brilliant orchestra sound and the whole of the opera singers. What a fantastic entertaiment!!! Thanks very much, I wish I will someday go back to London, but this time for the Opera experience...

2. josph gauci responded on 21 May 2014 at 7:26am Reply

thanks for the traviata it is good show thanks I lovet

3. Caroline Cawston responded on 21 May 2014 at 9:52am Reply

Just wonderful singing/acting from Simon Keenlyside - it made my evening. Hugely well done to all concerned, apart from the presenters, who should have had the plug pulled on them - "Vurdy" and "Manon les Caux", indeed (whoever she may be)! Please go on streaming, but please get presenters who know what they are doing - and less of the dumbing down - it's patronising and unnecessary..

4. Stuart Dixon responded on 21 May 2014 at 10:37am Reply

First we had big screen, then live cinema,both of which have been received very well and getting bigger and bigger. Now live streaming which, if last nights superb show is any guide, will be even bigger. So, now is the time, perfect the technology and this will be, not only the biggest money spinner the ROH has ever seen but millions of people not able to get to the house or cinema will have the joy of seeing great singers/dancers on their device. Go for it.

5. Jeffrey Karacs responded on 21 May 2014 at 4:56pm Reply

I was so pleased to catch this live on stream relay and thank you so much covent garden and BP for doing this. I can only repeat what others have said which is that we were very fortunate to see such great artists as Stephen Costello and Ailyn Perez in their signature roles, and Simon Keenlyside. Now all Royal Opera can do is create a production for them. Maybe Louise by Charpentier.

6. Richard Evans responded on 21 May 2014 at 7:27pm Reply

I absolutely loved it. Please do more of this. If you sell out at the ROH then PLEASE broadcast live on the net - what do you have to lose - you could gain a great deal. The quality was astonishingly good. Thank you.
    Saw the last two outings of this production ( Solti's in 95 and then much more recently a revival with Renee Flemming which was done in cinemas in HD) and this production was just lovely, so please give us more

7. John Willman responded on 22 May 2014 at 10:30am Reply

I loved the livestreamed La Traviata on Tuesday. and the filming was terrific. Unlike the MetLive, you do not do to much jumping around camerawork or excessive close-ups. But Natasha Kaplinsky was not a good or informed presenter. Also, you should not try to interview the principals during the curtain call, when they are still in the zone.

8. Bernice responded on 22 May 2014 at 2:50pm Reply

Suffering withdrawal symptoms after the lovely Traviata streaming. If we can't have a repeat of the opera, PLEASE will you post the Simon Keenlyside interview on the ROH website?

• Ellen West (Head of Online Content) responded on 28 May 2014 at 5:18pm

Dear Bernice

Glad that you enjoyed La traviata! We will be adding the interval films to the website at some point, but they are currently on a waiting list behind content being produced for forthcoming productions. If you subscribe to our YouTube channel you'll be notified as they go live.

Best wishes

Ellen

9. The singing was superb as well as the acting in this one of the more theatrical of Verdi's operas. Sets were beautiful; production excellent. The reception was superb and I live in Hawaii. A little hard to find if you didn't use website link. Presenters were glib but actually okay. Mahalo nui loa - thank you very much. Aloha!

10. Hugo Haig-Thomas responded on 23 May 2014 at 11:20am Reply

One of the best Traviata performances stage with top class performers. Stephen Costello, Ailyn and Simon Keenlyside superb. For me, however, the performance of mezzo Nadezhda Karyazina as Flora was unsurpassed. Tall, ladylike with a beautiful voice, excellent acting and stage presence, she is definitely one to watch for future leading roles.

11. Beryl lewismrs responded on 16 June 2014 at 10:31pm Reply

How can I see la trivia rat with Angela gorgeoo

12. Santina M responded on 15 July 2014 at 4:21pm Reply

Please could you confirm if la boheme is also being streamed live online tonight?

• Ellen West (Head of Online Content) responded on 15 July 2014 at 5:48pm

Hi Santina

I'm afraid that it will be not - we'd love to, but it hasn't been possible this time.

Best wishes

Ellen

13. Martyn responded on 15 July 2014 at 8:02pm Reply

I too am very disappointed that La Boheme is not being streamed online. I had prepared everything for a gorgeous night of live opera in my living room.

I will definitely watch the live relay at the cinema here in Poitiers, France, but that will be on 10 June 2015. It will be a GREAT season of opera and ballets at the cinema for us fans who live far away.

Will Rigoletto be streamed live online, the 17 September?

Pleased that I watched La Traviata.

• Ellen West (Head of Online Content) responded on 15 July 2014 at 10:29pm

Dear Martyn

I have not had confirmation whether or not Rigoletto will be streamed online. If it is we will share the news!

Best wishes

Ellen

14. Louise responded on 15 July 2014 at 8:32pm Reply

What a big disappointment! So enjoyed the live streaming of La Traviata in May that I was looking forward with anticipation, along with many friends, to the live streaming of La Boheme, only to discover that only the first opera of the season was live streamed. Hope you can do more live streaming of future operas. I love opera and was captivated by the performances and the quality of the broadcast. Really made me feel part of the audience. Congratulations! Louise, from Bermuda

• Ellen West (Head of Online Content) responded on 15 July 2014 at 10:28pm

Sorry Louise, we will flag future live streams online.

Best wishes