Your Reaction: La traviata

What did you think of Richard Eyre’s production of Verdi's tragic opera?

By Lottie Butler (Assistant Content Producer)

20 April 2014 at 11.51am | 11 Comments

What did you think of La traviata?

La traviata runs until 20 May. Tickets are still available.
The production is generously supported by Rolex with philanthropic support from Quentin Holland

By Lottie Butler (Assistant Content Producer)

20 April 2014 at 11.51am

This article has been categorised Opera and tagged audience reaction, by Richard Eyre, La traviata, opera, Production

1. Martin Wainwright responded on 20 April 2014 at 7:47pm Reply

I attended mainly to see Francesco and Dmitry but was blown away by Diana Damrau's Violetta. I am now firmly in the traditional camp, since Damrau's Traviata last year in the modern style, looking healthy and blonde, left me cold. But last night she was vocally (slight mistake at the end of Act 1 on Il mio pensier, anyone?) and visually superb, looking fragile and genuinely ill in Act 3. Nearly as good as my favourite modern Violetta, Stefania Bonfadelli; please get her to London soon ROH! Demuro had lovely pianissimi contrast and colour, but was slighty strained at times I thought. A great, dramatic opening night; well done all!

2. Tom responded on 20 April 2014 at 9:09pm Reply

Last night was my first time to see and hear Francesco Demuro and I thought he was superb. I'm sure who we enjoy hearing is a form of personal chemistry but I hope he returns to CG before long.

3. Rene Chang responded on 21 April 2014 at 11:06am Reply

This was my third opera and I must say that I enjoyed it immensely. The singing was quite incredible

• Ellen West (Head of Online Content) responded on 21 April 2014 at 12:13pm

Dear Rene

Glad that you enjoyed the performance!

Best wishes

Ellen

4. Alan responded on 21 April 2014 at 9:55pm Reply

When Patrizia Ciofi ROH invite for Violetta? Ciofi is the best Violetta of our time.

5. Jonathan Sydenham responded on 22 April 2014 at 12:55pm Reply

Now I am looking forward to Saturday night even more! Can't wait to see Damrau in a part that does her full justice -- though I loved her Fiakermilli and she was great in Hansel & Gretel.
    Other great Violettas I've been lucky enough to experience on stage are Angela Rost and Christine Schaffer. So German sopranos can certainly make the part their own.

6. Ralph responded on 22 April 2014 at 3:21pm Reply

We enjoyed Saturday evening's performance immensely. Even after 25 years of marriage the romance of the Opera reminds us of how it was when we first met!

Violetta's 'Amami, Alfredo' towards the end of the first scene of Act Two brought tears to the eye - the emotion of the singing was supported and drawn out by the timpani's strong playing.

The cognoscenti welcomed the arrival of Dmitri Hvorostovsky to the stage with applause. He is a great singer and brought out an aspect of the opera I'd missed when seeing it before - the importance of the fight between Violetta and Giorgio Germont for Alfredo's affections.

This is the third performance I've seen of La Traviata and the regal opulence of the Royal Opera House helped make this a great occasion.

Thanks.

7. William Thuillier responded on 22 April 2014 at 5:02pm Reply

Never liked the production - too slick and glossy. Bring back Visconti! Sounds as if Damrau didn't have the heft for Amami Alfredo - surely the voice is too small? How was her glitter at the end of Act 1? E flat in place?

8. Graham Thomas responded on 25 April 2014 at 12:45am Reply

Fabulous performance all round this evening. Damrau is superb with all the vocal and dramatic skills to be a wonderful Violetta. Really lost myself in the music and judging from the applause I wasn't the only one! Loved how she nuanced the role - wonderful pianissimo too and stonking great E flat in place in Act 1 too! Marvellous! Bit let down by slightly underpowered performance from the orchestra - conducting to blame I think.

9. DR RICHARD WALSH responded on 27 April 2014 at 8:47pm Reply

Just think - three years ago Netrebko let us all down by withdrawing as Violetta - forget that and forget her - last night Damrau was
    terrific - the best performance of this role I have ever heard.
    Dr Walsh.

10. James responded on 28 April 2014 at 2:53pm Reply

I hope we will hear Diana Damrau in more roles at the Royal Opera soon - she has not appeared much in recent years but it would e wonderful to hear her as Konstanze or Lucia.