Your Reaction: Il trittico 2016

What did you think of Richard Jones' Royal Opera production of Puccini's triptych?

By Chris Shipman (Head of Online Content)

26 February 2016 at 10.33am | 13 Comments

Press reviews:
Telegraph ★★★★★
Guardian ★★★★
Evening Standard ★★★★
Independent ★★★★
Financial Times ★★★★
Arts Desk ★★★★
The Stage ★★★★
WhatsOnStage ★★★★
Music OMH ★★★

What did you think of Il trittico?
Add your review via the comments section below.

Il trittico runs 25 February–15 March 2016. Tickets are still available.

By Chris Shipman (Head of Online Content)

26 February 2016 at 10.33am

This article has been categorised Opera and tagged by Richard Jones, Gianni Schicchi, Il tabarro, il trittico, Mixed Programme, Production, review, Social Media, Suor Angelica, twitter, your reaction

1. francois responded on 26 February 2016 at 1:50pm Reply

Ermonela Jaho as Suor Angelica was just exceptional. She broke our heart through a perfect control of the colors of her voice and an amazing engagement in the character. She never "played" Suor Angelica, she "was" Suor Angelica. She also gave very much attention to each word of the libretto, creating dedicated musical intonations to each sentence. More than outstanding, I cannot find the right words to describe the totally amazing and unforgettable performance that she gave!
    All the other singers of S.Angelica were excellent as well (chiefly Anna Larsson), as were those of Gianni Schicchi (and yes, Elena Zillo stole the show!!).
    Il Tabarro was vocally catastrophic, but I easily forgot that very weak part of the evening thanks to the excellent two other pieces.
    I found the production more convincing than in 2011, it was more efficient in terms of acting. Sets are still beautiful.

The ROH Orchestra was perfect throughout the evening and I loved the poetic conducting from Nicola Luisotti.
    Globally: don't miss Miss Jaho's Suor Angelica, it is an experience that one must live at least once in a life!

2. matteo gallanti responded on 26 February 2016 at 2:19pm Reply

very mix singing: awful male voices in Tabarro (gallo was terrible to hear), very good in Sour Angelica (and what a stage presence of Jaho), average in Schicchi. Another baritone next time please!

3. Coppelia responded on 26 February 2016 at 5:36pm Reply

An evening of sky high production values and big emotions. Even more finely tuned than in 2011. A solid four stars

4. Jonathan Sydenham responded on 27 February 2016 at 8:21am Reply

A bit harsh to call Gallo terrible on the basis of a couple of non-existent top notes. Racette was really good and the secondary roles were marvellous (as they were for the last two operas of the evening). There was the pleasure of hearing an upand coming Lauren Fagan in the first two, and then of course the unmissable Jaho, who delivered the most shattering opera performance I have been fortunate enough to witness in over half a century of regular opera-going.

5. Geoff responded on 3 March 2016 at 10:17pm Reply

Ermonela Jaho, who I have never seen before, is the real deal. Just had my breath taken away and my heart broken by Jaho in Suor Angelica. Can't wait to see her again.

Nothing much good to say about the rest of the evening, but that doesn't matter, Jaho is reason enough to go. Extraordinary coughing, though, particularly from the amphitheatre (the quieter Jaho sang, the more they coughed). But the audience somewhat made amends at the end - with a standing ovation.

6. Stephen Diviani responded on 4 March 2016 at 12:40pm Reply

Very enjoyable evening. Jaho & Racette outstanding, and how lovely to see Gwynne Howell as Simone. Of the three, I preferred 'Il tabarro'. 'Suor Angelica' was superbly staged & played, but I can understand why it is rarely performed: the plotting is a bit daft & the piece is overly sentimental. Thanks to all.

7. Chrissie Bates responded on 9 March 2016 at 11:42am Reply

Wow! What an evening. I felt a little sorry for the cast of Tabarro as it seemed rather like the poor relation, but I enjoyed it nevertheless - particularly Patricia Racette’s performance.

Everything has been said here about Ermonela Jaho’s searing Suor Angelica. Someone tweeted that their vision was a little blurred afterwards - my vision was not blurred - but my cheeks were very wet. Brava to Ermonela - and the wonderful cast.

Gianni Schicchi was an absolute delight, and a brilliant end to a long and emotional evening. Elena Zilio was excellent as always. What a treasure she is.

A terrific evening - congratulations to all performers and musicians, and thank you ROH!

8. carla responded on 9 March 2016 at 7:28pm Reply

Totally blown away by this first discovery of Il Trittico. Maybe I was the only one not knowing that suor angelica would end up that way... Being Italian I literally laughed at the lines sung in Gianni Schicchi, very funny and humoristic. Tabarro made a lot of sense being a tale of misplacement - of places, of feelings, of hopes. Good voices all three main characters... Lovely colours Bosi... Heavenly heights and purity Ermonela jelo. Thanks again ROH for giving such worthy experiences every time! London shines!

9. clarissa responded on 10 March 2016 at 8:28am Reply

A stunning experience, condensed, intense, painful, heart-wrenching, funny Puccini gloriously played and conducted, singing of rare commitment, well acted, directed, designed - who could ask for more? A privilege to have been there but…my hero Gwynne Howell was absent from the curtain call, there was obviously something amiss or different judging by the facial expressions of the other singers. Is he ok?

10. Malcolm responded on 11 March 2016 at 11:00pm Reply

As all have commented, Il Tabarro is the weak link, but it was well acted.
    I can't really add much to what has been said about Ermonela Jaho's extraordinary Suor Angellca, other than to say that it was the most emotionally draining performance I've ever seen on a stage.
    Enjoyed Gianni Scicchi, although I didn't think it quite matched Opera North's fun version last year.
    Despite the caveats, however, this was one of the most enjoyable nights of opera I've had in years.

11. Fiona Goodwille responded on 16 March 2016 at 4:34pm Reply

Ermonela Jaho's performance was, quite simply, astounding, both vocally and dramatically. I cannot remember ever seeing a more beautifully sung and acted performance by any soprano.

12. Po-yu Sung responded on 17 March 2016 at 3:25pm Reply

Needless to say, it's a great pleasure to sit in the opera house and watch the three one by one in one evening.
    Just several words to add: firstly, il Tabarro is never pleasant anyway, it's a darkly moody depressive piece of work. I think the performance (at least the one I saw on Tuesday) was alright, not the top 10 worst I've seen in ROH.
    Second, we know that Mr. Gallo is at the late stage of his brilliant career. I think his Gianni Schicchi is well acted, crasped the sense of language tone and correct amount humour, which is exactly you need for opera buffa from an experienced italian singer/actor, his missing high notes is less a problem.

13. Alan Munch responded on 20 March 2016 at 11:35pm Reply

My first time at the ROH, and the variety of the three operas was fascinating. Highlight for me was the soloist playing Sister Angelica, and I thoroughly enjoyed Gianni Schicci, with its humorous plot. It was a great intro to Puccini for me, and I hope to return for a full length opera soon.