Your reaction: Don Quixote

Audience tweets about the first night of Carlos Acosta's new production.

By Lottie Butler (Assistant Content Producer)

1 October 2013 at 1.55pm | 13 Comments

For the gala, The Ballet Bag and Dave Tries Ballet took over our Twitter feed and went behind the scenes. See behind the scenes photos and comments from the bloggers on the hashtag #ROHdonQ.

What did you think of Don Quixote?

Don Quixote runs until the 6 November. Tickets are still available. The production will also be live streamed in cinemas on 16 October. Find a screening near you.

1. Guillaume responded on 1 October 2013 at 4:02pm Reply

This was my first attendance to a ballet and I must say I was totally riveted with the performance!

2. Gianmarco responded on 2 October 2013 at 8:31am Reply

have seen much better DQ productions abroad; Acosta doesn't impress me

3. Lindsay responded on 2 October 2013 at 3:24pm Reply

Do you realise that the last tweet you posted is from one of the dancers, so not really an audience reaction....?

• Chris Shipman (Content Producer (Social Media and News)) responded on 2 October 2013 at 3:39pm

Hi Lindsay,

Thanks for the comment. We wanted to reflect the excitement among the Company for Carlos's new production, hence the inclusion of Claudia's tweet.

The other tweets are from the audience.

Thanks,

Chris
      Content Producer

4. Xoán responded on 6 October 2013 at 8:39pm Reply

This was my first attendance to a ballet and I left absolutely mesmerised. I was captivated from start to finish. The perfect balance of emotions, with exceptional choreography with just the right amount of Spanish flair and to top it off Minkus’s compositional output was excellent.

5. I saw the new production on friday, really enjoyed it. Such a change from other ballets with so much happiness and fun portrayed on stage. Although I found it a little sad to see Carlos beyond his best for this most suitable role... Why oh why! did the Royal Ballet not choose to allow him to dance this at his best?! Luckily for me, I've seen him on solo ventures performing the solos and famous par de deux elsewhere, but I don't understand why the RB would not seize those opportunities more. Tamara Rojo was in the company for years too!? in my opinion she is the most amazing performer in this role too. Nunez was brilliant, but think of the depth of the line up there could have been just last season! Benjamin, Cojocaru, Rojo. Tickets for Acosta/Nunez were sold out in an hour online as a consequence. It was too little too late from the powers that be and the company is exposed a bit now, lacking depth. But well done to Carlos, we love you, a well deserved swansong me thinks...

6. Hugh Axton responded on 14 October 2013 at 8:08pm Reply

I was at the 11th Oct performance and it was, in my view excellent. OK Carlos is past his best, but still a great entertainer. As for Marianela - no praise is too high. Yes the RB has lost some premier dancers but for most it was a natural progression, perhaps Alina's departure is a little sad. But the company has some fine First Soloists and this must give some of them a real opportunity that they did not have. I look forward to seeing who of the FS can really step up. It should be fun.

7. Along with my daughter we took 5 children between 18 months and 13 years to watch this at our local cinema in Bournemouth this evening . All of them were glued to the screen for all 3 acts, they were entranced, even the little one. Luckily there is a teachers strike tomorrow so the older ones could lie in.

8. Kevin McGrath responded on 17 October 2013 at 1:32am Reply

If Carlos Acosta is past his best the mind boggles at how good that best must have been. This was an incredibly good production.

I'm really grateful that the opportunity was taken to share this night with audiences in cinemas across the world.

9. Maureen responded on 17 October 2013 at 5:14am Reply

My son & I saw the performance of Don Quixote tonight, live streamed to our local theater in New Jersey. We were completely astounded, amazed & entertained by the performance. We left the theater shaking our heads because we could not believe the things that we had seen. Wonderful job Carlos & Marianela!! Big fans!!

10. Anne Deuchar responded on 17 October 2013 at 11:49am Reply

Glorious in every way...watched with the live streaming to Swindon, UK. Costumes were superb, scenery amazing, storytelling exceptional and dancing out of this world. Congratulations to everyone involved in this wondrous interpretation of a classic.

11. Geoff Hill responded on 17 October 2013 at 6:14pm Reply

We saw the streamed performance at the cinema and thought it was excellent in all respects ... except for the paucity of information on the production and performers. How about publishing a downloadable version of t he programme ( for a charge if necessary) for those of us who cannot get to see performances at ROH?

12. Paul KP responded on 6 November 2013 at 1:29pm Reply

Saw the production on Saturday, 02nd November and whilst Frederico B on fine form, sadly Sarah L had what appeared a very bad day in the office; it was almost like her movement was restricted, she was under-rehearsed, her characterisation of Kitri lacking ... most noticeable in the final act's pas de deux. Were a couple of lifts omitted to accommodate this?

Plenty of 'action' on the stage, though the corps just weren't as sharp as I have seen them in past ballets.

I love the ballet and have watched the RB dance so many times; I have never written anything but 'great things' so it saddens me, that on this occasion I felt the need to do so.