Your Reaction: Don Giovanni live-streamed and on BP Big Screens 2015

What did you think of our live relay of Kasper Holten's production of Mozart's tragicomedy.

By Ellen West (Head of Creative Studios and Digital Products)

3 July 2015 at 11.20pm | 9 Comments

By Ellen West (Head of Creative Studios and Digital Products)

3 July 2015 at 11.20pm

This article has been categorised Opera and tagged BP Big Screens, by Kasper Holten, comments, don giovanni, live stream, Production, your reaction

1. bridget davison responded on 4 July 2015 at 1:20am Reply

Stunning soloists but an appalling set, the final scene was laughable; take my hand,it's cold - well they weren't in touching distance. The commandatore should be imposing but he was lost in the inappropriate set!!
    The feast was a joke. It's such a straight forward opera that it requires no messing with. The set spoilt the night for me, so glad it was opera in the park and I wasn't paying!

• Glauber responded on 4 July 2015 at 2:07pm

I actually preferred this rendition where they don't touch. It is less magical and more realistic. I.e. he died probably from a heart attack because of his way of life, and had allucinations with the commendatore at his end; rather than "it was a statue coming to life who sent him to hell". The complaint about the cold was just what he was feeling when dying.

2. Ann o'Shaughnessy responded on 4 July 2015 at 2:31pm Reply

When I saw this production last year I hated it so was pleased to give it a second chance last night on my PC. The casting made a huge difference - Villazon was superb while both DG & Leperello were much more to my liking than in 2014 . While accepting the revolving set I could not accept the constant graffiti, which I found to be a distraction. Liberties taken with the storyline did not help but appear to be a part of the new approach to old favourites.

3. Barry Taylor responded on 5 July 2015 at 11:22am Reply

Sorry, this production left me rather cold. Mozart's opera was in there somewhere, and the cast was mostly strong, but it all seemed rather mono-toned (mostly dark) and pedestrian. Perhaps it worked better as a televised spectacle, but in the theatre I found it rather ugly and lacking charm and contrast.

4. Paul Sharpe responded on 6 July 2015 at 12:10pm Reply

I enjoyed watching Don Giovanni at Wollaton Park, even worth getting wet during the last half hour! The sound reproduction was near perfect and so much better than last year at Trent Bridge. To me the servant Leporello, was very well cast. A thoroughly enjoyable evening, with good company, thank you B.P.

5. Tina Allman responded on 6 July 2015 at 10:06pm Reply

My son and gf took my mum and I in Wollaton Park Nottingham. I fell completely in love with opera as did we all. The intensity of feeling and expression was felt throughout and at times I was there in the theatre. It rained and turned cooler, neither of that mattered because you become so absorbed by the story and characters that you don't even realise the weather. I have found a new love.

6. Gordon Busbridge responded on 7 July 2015 at 10:39am Reply

We were in the Upper Amphitheatre, and were stunned by the cast of tremendous voices of outstanding quality, with some ravishing performances. However, did Julia Lezhneva realise how bad her intonation was - or will her friends tell her? The production worked well until the climax scene, where the music and drama parted company completely and much of the power of the opera was lost. Similarly, the lack of Mozart's finale seriously compromised one's overall enjoyment, and the half-hearted start to the applause was because most of us were waiting for the conclusion! Similarly the orchestra were a little tame too and did not do justice to the climax - where was Antonio Pappano???

7. Melchioretto Jean Louis responded on 15 August 2015 at 10:57pm Reply

I have made a very correct comment on the 3 july performance, I do not see it anymore.
    I don't Roh it anymore