Your reaction: Don Carlo

Audience tweets about the return of Nicholas Hytner's production.

By Chris Shipman (Content Producer (Social Media and News))

5 May 2013 at 10.31am | 28 Comments

What did you think of Don Carlo?

Don Carlo runs until 25 May. Tickets are still available.
The production is generously sponsored by RLM Finsbury with generous philanthropic support from Mrs Susan A Olde OBE, Mr Pierre Lagrange and Mr Roubi l’Roubi, Sir Simon and Lady Robertson, Spindrift Al Swaidi, David Hancock, Mrs Philip Kan, Marina Kulishova, Mrs Trevor Swete, Mrs Mercedes T Bass, the Maestro’s Circle, the Verdi Syndicate and the Royal Opera House Endowment Fund.

By Chris Shipman (Content Producer (Social Media and News))

5 May 2013 at 10.31am

This article has been categorised Opera and tagged by Nicholas Hytner, Don Carlo, Production, reaction, review, Social Media, twitter, your reaction

1. Attila responded on 5 May 2013 at 12:59pm Reply

Harteros - finest singing at Covent Garden for 20 years.

2. Y. Dyer responded on 5 May 2013 at 3:06pm Reply

one of the best performances I have seen at in ROH in the last years... there were moments that will stay with me for ever, Elizabeth & Carlo sitting by Carlos V's tomb, wispering... breath taking!

3. Peter Erdos responded on 5 May 2013 at 5:31pm Reply

Indeed a feast! Although Hytner's production certainly does not eclipse Visconti's in any way. the musical side amply compensated in this most wonderful opera! Harteros, her exquisite singing made the evening simply extraordinarily beautiful and memorable.The other best performance was given by Kwiecien, the finest Rodrigo since Gobbi. Althogh I thought Kaufman was a little under par vocally, but his musicianship and artistry is examplary. I was particularly touched by the duets with Elisabeth . Furlanetto and Halfarvsen could not be bettered in the frightening scene between the King and the Inquisitor.Pappano, the orchestra and the chorus were superb, the only flaw for me was the Eboli of Uria-Monzon. Big voice, bright top, but not much else.of the understanding of the role. Pity!!!!!
    All in all a wonderful night at the opera, wishing we have many more like this!

4. Ron Pollard responded on 5 May 2013 at 8:17pm Reply

When and why was Christine Rice replaced??

5. Why can't the Royal Opera House afford a new filming of this outsatnding production? It's true it was filmed with Villazon, but the cast this time deserves to be filmed and preserved for posterity !!!!
    We are expecting a miracle ! Don't be cheap !

6. Film it PLEASE !
    We live in Chile and cannot travel to London to see it.
    You are losing MONEY !

7. Alessandro responded on 7 May 2013 at 12:50pm Reply

Definetely one of the best production I have ever seen for one of my favourite opera. Many moments reached perfections, some moments took my breath away. The way all the singers entered into the psychology of the characters and rendered to the public desn;t happen all the time. Please film it.

8. Paula responded on 7 May 2013 at 7:48pm Reply

I was lucky to have been given a ticket for this production for my birthday, and traveled from Portugal to be at the opening night last Saturday. It was a performance that will stay with me forever. I had never attended a performance, and now I have, and with Kaufmann and Furlanetto! It has given me new insight into an opera that has been a favorite of mine for many years. The King/Inquisitor and King/Rodrigo duets, superb!
    Will there be a DVD?

9. Meunier responded on 8 May 2013 at 11:04pm Reply

History was made at the Royal Opera House tonight. We were privileged to witness the birth of a GREAT Verdi soprano. Sitting here I don't even remember that other singer's name so potent was Ms. Haroutounian's effect. True, I have been disappointed several times at missing the former in a variety of performances that she was scheduled to sing and didn't but the two that I did ACTUALLY HEAR (a Desdemona and last Saturday's Elizabeth) were VERY pale in comparison to the joyous and easy outpouring of soulful sound that was evidenced this evening. This is the BEST Elizabeth I have heard since Freni. I NEVER expected to hear another as good. My smile's true rapture at this realisation is beyond broad. Indeed, it might only now be seen from the sky. Ours tonight was the great GOOD FORTUNE to have have been there on this very special occasion. The younger ones among us will live to tell their grandchildren. I should think there will only be ONE soprano name for the first cast of any ROH Verdi home team for much time to come I should think. There is no question but this talented young singer will sell me a ticket or two. Brava ... Hell, NO. Bravissima!!

• mark bennett responded on 9 May 2013 at 10:39am

An honour and a blessing to be there. Your thoughts echo mine PRECISELY. Fairly new to this opera lark but count myself the luckiest of men to be there last night. Travelling back to Leicestershire, I didn't so much drive as float. Can say no more; the tears are welling-up already. Bravissima indeed!

10. stephen ratcliffe responded on 9 May 2013 at 10:28am Reply

Ms Haroutounian was superb, especially in the last Act. Cannot wait to hear her in more Verdi. The whole evening was a joy, aside from an average Eboli. The other principals were top of their game but the evening belogned to Haroutounian. Please book her again soon

• John Ginman responded on 9 May 2013 at 3:25pm

I was also very impressed by Haroutounian's performance last night, which demonstrated very good acting ability as well as impressive singing - this Elisabeth really went on a journey from the young princess of the opening, to the disillusioned regal figure in the final act.

However, what no-one would appreciate from the comments posted here to date is the absolutely exceptional performance of Carlos himself by Jonas Kaufmann - intelligently and sensitively acted and sung throughout. This was not a performance to draw attention to itself, but one that truly served the character and the score, ringingly glorious if required but also breathtaking in its softness and control in the quieter moments.

Please don't neglect to re-book Kaufmann, every season if possible, and in a major Wagner role soon!

• Gilles Perrault responded on 13 May 2013 at 6:54pm

I agree with you about L.Haroutounian. Her emotion during the deluge of applause during the curtain calls was so moving! she was the queen of the evening, as you say. I spoke with her at the stage door: she is a very kind and modest person." Your congratulations give me courage" she said. As if she needed them to be excellent!
      Excuse my poor English!

11. Flora responded on 10 May 2013 at 11:28pm Reply

I know there already is a DVD of this production, but please do consider filming this cast, Kaufmann and Haroutounian were outstanding, a performance to remember forever, stunning!

12. I'm not expecting it to be better than Christoff, Gobbi and others in the 1960s either in singing or in production.

13. Bravo!
    Superbly sung and lavishly produced! Jonas Kaufmann was amazing (as usual) both as a singer and actor. He's such a talented tenor... Please bring him back more often to the ROH productions. Lianna Haroutounian was also a pleasant surprise replacing Anja Harteros and made an impressive Elizabeth of Valois.

14. Last night's performance was absolutely devastating. I have never enjoyed a night at the opera more.

15. Peter responded on 16 May 2013 at 10:25am Reply

I went last night (Wednesday 15th). To echo other people's thoughts, A tremendous night's entertainment. Great singing from a stella cast and Ms Haroutounian exceeded expectations. I hope she is more reliable than previous divas. My star of the night was Kwiecien though that is not to, in any way, suggest that all the leads were anything than top class. I even managed to ignore the building block set of Act II and just loved Act III, Simply magnificent. Thank you.

16. Nigel Jones responded on 16 May 2013 at 10:38am Reply

Wednesday's performance was exceptional. Jonas Kaufmann was as wonderful as I had hoped but Lianna Haroutourian was equally impressive. I will hope to be lucky enough to see her in another role one day. I also enjoyed Kwiecien's wholehearted performance as Rodrigo and the production, chorus and orchestra were up to the usual high standard. I will remember this performance as one of the best!

17. Judith responded on 16 May 2013 at 1:28pm Reply

Haroutourian was extraordinary last night and the ROH orchestra sublime.

18. Simone Camilleri responded on 16 May 2013 at 6:15pm Reply

I was there on 11th May. Fabulous performance. Haroutounian a revelation, although I did miss Harteros. Furlanetto was superb, so was Kwiecien. Having heard Kaufmann many times and knowing what he can do with his voice, I was rather disappointed with this Carlo. The pianissimi, for which he is renowned, didn't seem to work on the evening. I still consider it one of the best Don Carlos I've seen.

19. waltraud becker responded on 16 May 2013 at 8:50pm Reply

So sorry that there will be no DVD to have the chance to see and hear that wonderful Don Carlo..........
    Please be kind to people who could not be there!

20. I attended 08 May and was delighted: four hours of glorious Verdi.

21. James responded on 19 May 2013 at 7:45am Reply

Almost perfect last night, except for Jonas Kaufmann. Was he ill? Sounded hoarse too often, singing around his voice on several occasions. Too much singing recently?

22. Another exceptional performance by this exceptional cast. There was a really special atmosphere in the house last night (18th May) and the performance just went from strength to strength - no weak leaks just a committed vocal and dramatic performance from everyone.

23. Pauline responded on 20 May 2013 at 10:17pm Reply

An special message to Mr Holten or to whom it may concern:
    Please consider a DVD even if there is already one of the same version . This is an historical event and deserve to be kept for the future . Furthermore,there are so many people all over the world pleading for...All opera lovers and potential customers.Thanks!!!

24. Zsofia Zachar responded on 6 January 2014 at 8:58pm Reply

I saw Peter Stein's Salzburg production broadcast by 3SAT (Pappano, Harteros, Kaufmann etc) and the MET's Hytner's production (Poplavskaya, Alagna, Furlanetto), on Mezzo.
    I can't wait to see the ROH version - that must have been the best of all.
    Please produce a DVD. Pappano's directing is a dream and the singing by Harteros and Kaufmann was heart rending.
    (comment from Hungary)