Your reaction: Die Walküre

A selection of your tweets about the return of Die Walküre.

By Chris Shipman (Content Producer (Social Media and News))

27 September 2012 at 12.43pm | 6 Comments

By Chris Shipman (Content Producer (Social Media and News))

27 September 2012 at 12.43pm

This article has been categorised Opera and tagged Die Walküre, Keith Warner, opening night, Richard Wagner, Ring Cycle, Social Media, twitter, your reaction

1. Peter Erdos responded on 28 September 2012 at 11:01am Reply

Superlative singing and orchestral playing, but can't get used to the travesty of this production.
    Clatter everywhere, The "Todesverkundigung" is ineffective, The pulling out of the sword from the non-existing Ash tree, and the substitution of Brunhilde's rock by a Victorian settee is too much!

• Michael de Navarro responded on 28 September 2012 at 2:41pm

Production tightened up but still a mess with too much clutter. At least we have got rid of the Walkure pinned to the wall of Brunnhilde's rock. But why do the lovers rush out at the end of Act I ; the music is not "Flight"but the physical consummation of their love. Wonderful singing by Bryn Terfel (I have never heard the role sung so beutifully and with such a range of dynamics) and Sarah Connolly, both of whom were totally on top of the text, and very fine playing by the orchestra, but the remainder of the singing was for me very patchy and, in the case of Siegliinde, almost consonantless and with a very limited dynamic range from mf to ff (to be fair the final 'noblest of women' theme was terrific). For the first time Act I left me unmoved.

2. neither the singing, acting or production meet the standard of Solti and Kempe. No one matches Birgit Nillson, Hotter, Windgassen to name a few

• Peter Erdos responded on 1 October 2012 at 11:11am

Yes it is nice to think back, but on this principle we can give up going to the opera. Callas, Sutherland, Gobbi, Christoff, Kraus, and I could continue for ever! It is all in the memory and it is wonderful to treasure it!

3. Simon M responded on 5 October 2012 at 3:45pm Reply

Having attended many rings both at ROH and else where I think that nearly 2 hours of intervals is excessive even by Glyndebourne's standards. Not all of us live locally and would like to get home after these events. The running times and schedules were not I believe advertised when the tickets went on sale last year. I now find I have to add the cost of last minute accommodation in London to the ticket price. If you want to follow the Barbican model of late nights your audience will become as parochial and London centric as theirs has.

• Chris Shipman (Content Producer (Social Media and News)) responded on 10 October 2012 at 5:36pm

Hi Simon,

The only change to previous Ring Cycles has been 5 mins added to the second interval of Die Walküre. In 2007 we averaged 83 minutes so advertised 80 mins this time.

Thanks,