Your reaction: Dialogues des Carmélites

What did you think of Robert Carsen's production of Poulenc's opera?

By Chris Shipman (Content Producer (Social Media and News))

30 May 2014 at 10.50am | 13 Comments

What did you think of Dialogues des Carmélites?

Dialogues des Carmélites runs until 11 June 2014. Tickets are still available.
The production, originally from De Nederlandse Opera, Amsterdam, is given with generous philanthropic support from Mrs Aline Foriel-Destezet, The Taylor Family Foundation and The Calouste Gulbenkian Foundation.

By Chris Shipman (Content Producer (Social Media and News))

30 May 2014 at 10.50am

This article has been categorised Opera and tagged by Robert Carsen, Dialogues des Carmelites, Production, review, Royal Opera, Social Media, twitter

1. You could have heard a pin drop through the performance - which showed just how engrossed the audience was. In avoiding over melodramatic singing and orchestral playing (both superb by the way), last night the opera carried far greater power than other performances I have seen and heard. I have not been able to switch on the radio this morning as I still have the music swirling around in my head...

2. Sally Allsopp responded on 30 May 2014 at 11:31am Reply

Fantastic reviews- saw the pre general it is utterly amazing. My daughter is part of the community ensemble it is an opportunity of a lifetime-thank you ROH

3. W J Owen responded on 30 May 2014 at 12:38pm Reply

It was glorious . Beautifully sung and staged. Amazing to discover that the people really WERE the people! Such spare staging shows that one doesn't need gimmicks if the production is well performed. The orchestration in this piece is marvellous. I can see why they chose Rattle to conduct it. The true star of the opera was the orchestra, conducted by Rattle. I felt privileged to be there .

4. Philippa Hamnett responded on 30 May 2014 at 3:11pm Reply

An absolutely amazing performance, spellbinding.

5. bill worley responded on 30 May 2014 at 6:33pm Reply

One word sums this up - dreadful!! I was not moved in the slightest. Usually I walk out of the Carmelites in floods of tears. Not last night. Another production by ROH written off

6. Lydia responded on 30 May 2014 at 10:34pm Reply

Beautiful cor anglais solos and wind playing generally. Really liked the direction and the effect of using the crowd on stage. Personally I felt as an opera that it was a bit too long for the content of the storyline, but I guess that was up to Poulenc!

7. Mary Dolson responded on 31 May 2014 at 2:44pm Reply

A privilege to be there indeed. Music superb, Rattle lived up to his mighty reputation. Opera was beautiful, haunting, superbly sung and simple perfect staging. Crowd was menacing. But I was left admiring rather than in love.

8. Stephen Ratcliffe responded on 3 June 2014 at 12:04pm Reply

Superb performance last night - the end was gut wrenching and it almost seemed wrong to applaud. I just love this piece. Not usually a fan of the director but this production worked for me. Congratulations to all concerned.

9. Toby Stevens responded on 3 June 2014 at 5:07pm Reply

Go for the music. Superbly rendered by Simon Rattle with excellent voices right across the cast. The Robert Carsen production is his usual pretentious rubbish except now VERY dated, very dull and dingy. This opera should be moving and its just turgid. Community Ensemble what is that about?!!!

10. One of the great evenings. Uncompromising affirmation of the score's values, and a real coup de theatre, in which light, space and everyday objects were treated like themes in a musical composition. The superb cast, the purity and honesty of the production in conjunction with Rattle's devotion made this a transcendent and transformative experience.

11. Martin Schwarz responded on 5 June 2014 at 3:07am Reply

As this is one of my favorite operas, I was really looking forward to it. Although the orchestra was superb and the conducting sublime, the staging is dull as dish-water. Couldn't fault the female cast but some if the male vocals didn't carry. And the Finale was anticlimactic. Preferred the ENO production!

12. David Allsop responded on 8 June 2014 at 1:17am Reply

My daughter was on the stage and I can see now why the opera has had such a profound effect on her. The clean staging with so much light and shade was mesmerizing. So many strong and passionate lead females. The orchestral interpretation was controlled yet edgy and the playing was superb. Who could not fail to be moved and haunted by the final scenes!

13. TH Mok responded on 8 June 2014 at 8:44pm Reply

Austere. Penetrating. Warm and deeply felt singing juxtaposed beautifully.

Hats off to Bell, Polaski and Prohaska.

The interval stem ginger ice cream uplifting as usual.