Your Reaction: Cubanía 2015

What did you think of the return of Carlos Acosta's mixed programme of dance from leading Cuban artists?

By Chris Shipman (Head of Brand Engagement and Social Media)

28 July 2015 at 10.18am | 16 Comments

Press reviews:
Times (£) ★★★★
Telegraph ★★★
Evening Standard ★★★
The Stage ★★★

What did you think of Cubanía?

Cubanía runs until 2 August 2015. Tickets are still available.

By Chris Shipman (Head of Brand Engagement and Social Media)

28 July 2015 at 10.18am

This article has been categorised Dance and tagged by Carlos Acosta, Cubanìa, Production, review, Social Media, twitter, your reaction

1. Ken Milligan responded on 29 July 2015 at 12:30am Reply

What an amazingly talented company. Well done to all involved. You just can't get enough of Carlos Acosta!

2. Jane Harrison responded on 29 July 2015 at 12:01pm Reply

I am 50/50 on this.. some aspects were brilliant.. but at times it was more like a cabaret and less inspiring..

3. Cat responded on 1 August 2015 at 1:26pm Reply

Not ROH standard at all, really disappointing. Same as with Inked: Murmur / Inked by Aakash Odedra earlier this year. With so many talented and willing dancers and choreographers out there, why feature such works? I guess it's politics...

4. Ronald Pimentel responded on 2 August 2015 at 12:05pm Reply

BRAVO !

5. Natalie Wilson responded on 2 August 2015 at 3:58pm Reply

Went to see Cubania on Friday night - very boring - really don't understand why the ROH put this on - very third rate - I could not wait to go -would have left early on but had paid a lot for my tickets. Carlos Acosta super dancer but as a choreographer weird.

6. Brilliant performance yesterday with @CAcostaOfficial Made me want to #dance all night! Band were incredible too

7. Christiana Papamichael responded on 2 August 2015 at 9:37pm Reply

I have to admit, I took some friends to see todays performance and I had said to them that Carlos Acosta is just brilliant. So at the interval after the contemporary performance I asked how they all enjoy it and there was a look of disappointment.

Then came this amazing show after the interval and finally I was vindicated. Carlos Acosta is truly brilliant. BRILLIANT. They were just blown away. The energy, the movement the whole performance, what a night. Thank you to all the team; the dancers, the musicians, even the lighting engineers who managed to bring that Cuban spirit to Covent Garden.

8. Miranda responded on 2 August 2015 at 11:56pm Reply

I loved it. I got the sense the first half was a challenge for some audience members - but I also felt that there were a good number of people on the audience who were not RoH regulars , proving that Acosta's reach is already significantly beyond the box of classical repertoire. The first piece (Derembe?) was very powerful. Anyone who has ever heard or witnessed an abusive symbiotic relationship will feel this piece keenly. Acosta can do it all. I look forward to his transition more then ever. Just as Sylvie Guillem hangs up her shoes, we need him more than ever. And can I just say -Alexander Verona?!! Than man is a joy to watch.

9. Nicole Allnutt responded on 3 August 2015 at 12:02pm Reply

A beautiful performance of Cubania, I thoroughly enjoyed it.
    My only down side was sitting on front row A1. Although I didn't expected to have frontal viewing I did expect to be sat in front of what appeared to be a rigging of some sort. If you can imagine you are sat at a lovely dinner table but the table comes up to your chin...whilst you can see it is awful. Spending £67's on a ticket and to be sat with such a contraption in front of me spoilt it a little for me.

• Chris Shipman (Head of Brand Engagement and Social Media) responded on 3 August 2015 at 12:33pm

Hi Nicole,

Sorry to hear you were disappointed with the view from the seat - we'll pass your feedback on to the Box Office.

Thanks and glad you enjoyed the performance itself.

Chris
      ROH Content Producer

10. Nicole Allnutt responded on 3 August 2015 at 12:03pm Reply

I meant I didn't expect to be sat in front of this rigging and not that I did expect. This was my first time at the Royal Opera.

11. Jakegee responded on 3 August 2015 at 12:41pm Reply

I saw "Cubania" twice last year, then again on Friday night and Sunday evening. Each time I have felt a little underwhelmed by the first half, mainly because I prefer classical ballet. In response to Natalie's comment above, please note that Carlos was not the choreographer of those pieces!

The second half, however, is always hugely enjoyable! The original stage production of "Tocororo" over 10 years ago broke box office records at Sadlers Wells, and it would be great to see it return in its full original form, where Carlos's nephew Yonah Acosta (now a Principal dancer with English National Ballet) danced the role of the young Carlos on this semi-autobiographical tale.
    The dancers and musicians all excelled in "Tocororo", and Carlos and Alexander Verona's duel for supremacy is a joy
    to watch!

For those looking for a more classical ballet performance by Carlos, I was delighted to find from the program that we are able to see "Carlos Acosta's Classical Selection" in December at London Coliseum Theatre. Prior to that, Carlos performs in his own new production of "Carmen" as part of a quadruple bill in October/November at the ROH. This he has choreographed, and if his "Don Quixote" for the Royal Ballet is anything to go by, I'm sure we are in for a treat!!

Thank you, Carlos, for the privilege of seeing you dance!

12. Margaret O'Kane responded on 5 August 2015 at 12:18pm Reply

thoroughly enjoyed the show, could not keep my feet still during the second half. Dynamic and upraising, totally understood the underlying meanings excellent and recommended.

13. Susan Busby responded on 7 August 2015 at 1:38pm Reply

Sorry - I didn't read the original info properly. Just the title 'Cubania', Cuban Ballet Co, Acosta/Yanowsky was enough to book our usual expensive seats. How did I miss the word 'contemporary'? It was awful. Clearly all of the dancers are all superb dancers - but, they manage with three basic movements just repeated endlessly, 'Flux' being the worst. Can't beat pointed toes and heart-rending tunes. Came home and watched my Manon and R & J to get over my loss of £180. Incidentally, many people around us didn't applaud. Only Zenaida saved the day - just.

14. Natalie responded on 8 August 2015 at 11:28pm Reply

dear ROH, we love coming to ROH performances with my husband and always found it amazing, but this one was so disappointing that we even could bear it for long and left before end, not high standards, really surprised with low quality, several days before Cuban music was far better represented by Buena Vista Social Club!

15. Morton Paley responded on 15 August 2015 at 6:02pm Reply

It was enormous fun. The first half serious post-modern ballet, the second contemporary Cuban. Who could ask for more?