Your reaction: Ariadne auf Naxos

What did you think of Christof Loy's production of Richard Strauss's tragi-comedic opera?

By Chris Shipman (Content Producer (Social Media and News))

26 June 2014 at 10.28am | 7 Comments

What did you think of Ariadne auf Naxos?

Ariadne auf Naxos runs until 13 July 2014. Tickets are still available. The production is given with generous philanthropic support from Hélène and Jean Peters, Hamish and Sophie Forsyth and The Maestro’s Circle.

Antonio Pappano conducts the cast and the Orchestra of the Royal Opera House in concert at the Symphony Hall, Birmingham, on 6 July 2014. Tickets are still available.

By Chris Shipman (Content Producer (Social Media and News))

26 June 2014 at 10.28am

This article has been categorised Opera and tagged Ariadne auf Naxos, by Christof Loy, Karita Mattila, Production, review, Social Media, twitter, your reaction

1. stephen ratcliffe responded on 26 June 2014 at 10:48am Reply

Lovely, lovely evening last night. Mattila was as ever superb. She puts her heart and soul in everything she does. Sacca also a surprise choice that paid off for me. No weak links and superb support from the orchestra. May have to go again..

2. David Gifford responded on 26 June 2014 at 5:02pm Reply

A wonderful evening. Mattila was mesmerising, not only in her glorious singing but in her vivid acting skills; a truly memorable performance. And Roberto Sacca excelled as Bacchus; a full, ringing tone and no sense of strain at the top - something quite rare in performers of this role. Pappana conducted con amore!

3. W J Owen responded on 27 June 2014 at 10:40am Reply

Really enjoyable production. Seems like only yesterday when Mattila won Cardiff singer of the world and look at the star she has become. What power she has . It was a wonderful ensemble production though with a strong cast. (Tosca last night also fabulous. Bryn Terfel is the definitive Scarpia for me and Sondra R WAS Tosca - superb!. Domingo conducted with punch. LOVED it!!).

4. Peter Erdos responded on 1 July 2014 at 9:47am Reply

Due to the superlative musical side of the performance it was sheer delight. Mattila is just short of sensational, the best Ariadne I heard in my half a century of opera going.Her exquisite phrasing and soaring quality of sound is wonderful to hear. Jane Archibald though singing the notes I did not find as brilliant as some of her predecessors (Battle or Grist). Enjoyed Sacca and Werba,both excellent. Pappano as usual brought out most glorious sounds from the orchestra which helped to overlook the messy production of Christof Loy

5. Bill Worley responded on 1 July 2014 at 2:39pm Reply

Sorry I am going to be really controversial here and say that I hated everything about last night. Mattila is usally very good but her Ariadne did nothing for me. Zerinetta - Jane Archibald is considered the reigning exponant of the role but I found her dull. I have always hated the production and as for the conducting, well if you can't find anything good to say then say nothing.

I know I will be in a minority of one in all probability

• Roy Hiscock responded on 17 July 2014 at 2:25pm

Unlike you, I found that musically this performance was very good, my one (slight) reservation being the Zerbinetta (I saw two performances): like you, I have always hated this production but realised why only after listening to the broadcast and following the Radio 3 opera guide. "There is a brief moment of empathy between the Composer and Zerbinetta" says Christoph Loy. Try this: "(Zerbinetta) has a way with men...True, she has never met so wholesome, so uncorrupted a youth (as the Composer)...but she will bring him round...a fat purse is involved and this pig-headed fool is likely to make them lose a lot of money (than which there is nothing) more important to Zerbinetta. (the Composer) listens to Zerbinetta as she acts out [note: acts out] the role of sadly misunderstood girl". Thus Lotte Lehmann, in her book "Singing with Richard Strauss":. Mme Lehmann created the role of the Composer so she should have had some idea of what the prologue is all about. My only point - I'm a little more sympathetic to Zerbinetta the person - would be to say that a girl's got to live: and since her troupe is going out in front of some very rich people further engagements may result from this one. Also, the Composer is not devastated by Z flirting with Harlequin - it's her shrill whistle for the start of the performance that brings him down to earth, with a very heavy bump (he becomes - briefly, I feel - near-suicidal when he realises he has agreed to mutiltaing his Opera).

6. Robin Smith responded on 10 July 2014 at 3:57pm Reply

I attended a concert performance of this at Symphony Hall in Birmingham last Sunday July 6th. It was outstanding in every way. Absolutely wonderful to hear and see the Orchestra out of their pit. I wish we could enjoy more "In concert" performances. Just imagine how good the recent Manon Lescaut would have been !