Your Plácido Domingo highlights

Ahead of two concerts celebrating his career, we asked you for your highlights of a glittering career.

By Chris Shipman (Content Producer (Social Media and News))

26 October 2011 at 10.01am | 15 Comments

Ahead of this week’s two Plácido Domingo Celebration concerts, we asked our Facebook and Twitter following to share their Domingo highlights. Here are a selection of their comments…

“Have seen Domingo live as Don Jose, Chenier, Hoffmann, Des Grieux, Otello, and in a gala concert from the MET stage in ’83 with Milnes and Levine and in the Met 25 anniversary at Lincoln Center Gala when he sang Marcello to Pavarotti’s Rodolpho! Many many great memories” – Andrew Parks

“I’ve seen him many times in 40 years. Still recall Cavalleria rusticana/Pagliacci. From macho young man to broken Clown in one evening” – John Vecchio

“Many years ago I was abroad. My mother wrote telling me about this wonderful ‘new’ tenor. Said I’d love him – and I do!” – Helen Forder

“Fantastic! I saw him at La Scala Milan performing Verdi’s Ernani with Muti conducting and in 1993 always at La Scala performing Giordano’s Fedora with Mirella Freni with Gavazzeni conducting. He is fantastic. His voice touches you deeply his technique is devoted to the role he performs. A real sacred monster of Art!” – Paolo Bravi

“I made my debut with him as my rival. When he sang a high note in our duet. I forgot to continue. All just stopped. Magic” – David Lomeli

“The most memorable was Otello back in 1992, with Solti and Te Kanawa. Tickets went like hot cakes, so I missed out, and ended up sleeping outside the ROH to get a day ticket. It was late October and absolutely freezing. Around 11.00 that evening, a consignment of pizza and wine turned up for the sleepers-out, courtesy of one Mr P. Domingo. What a star!” – Deborah Salmon

“I was lucky enough to see Simon Boccanegra on 13th July last year. The whole cast (including John Tomlinson who sang the role of Fiesco as Furlanetto was ill) was spectacular but of course it was Domingo who made the evening so special. I loved the unique sound he brought to the role & his voice was just gorgeous, and what a great actor. When he bounded on to the stage as the young Simon in the Prologue, I had to look twice to make sure it was really him! Afterwards he signed autographs & posed for photos & gave each of the waiting fans a few precious moments of his time. Treasured souvenirs & memories of a night I will never forget.” – Ann Lander

“Saw Plácido first time at Covent Garden 1983 and we have been hooked since. What a wonderful voice and a very special person we are really looking forward to seeing him again on Sunday. May he carry on singing for many more years and bringing pleasure to everyone” – John Clay

Essential Domingo

A number of DVDs, recordings and books featuring Plácido Domingo are available from the Royal Opera House shop including;

Simon Boccanegra DVD

Otello DVD

Royal Opera House Heritage series: Plácido Domingo book

What are your memories of Plácido Domingo? Share them via the comments below

By Chris Shipman (Content Producer (Social Media and News))

26 October 2011 at 10.01am

This article has been categorised Opera and tagged Domingo, gala, memories, opera, stage

1. Julian Hopkins responded on 26 October 2011 at 3:46pm Reply

I was lucky enough to see Placido's 1st Otello at ROH, with Margaret Price and Silvano Carroli, conducted by Carlos Kleiber, in 1983. Of the 265 opera performances I have seen at Covent Garden over 63 years, this ranks as the best. It was extraordinary for its intensity.

• Dimitrios Gkildakis responded on 27 October 2011 at 9:05pm

My one and only Domingo experience was Simon Boccanegra at ROH. I organized a trip from Greece to London only to see him on stage. Tickets were sold out and when I got one of the last standing tickets with restricted view I felt the happiest man on earth! It was a magical night with a magical voice! A memory I will never forget (and a story to tell someday my children..).
      Dimitrios Gkildakis

2. Cheryl Ziegler responded on 26 October 2011 at 4:04pm Reply

LIVE-FEED Met Simon Boccanegra-I was more excited then my friends three teenage children I took to see it. Sat there remembering the first time I actually saw him; it was a John Denver Christmas special when I was a kid. It is still one of my fondest and happiest memories ever.

3. maria matana responded on 26 October 2011 at 9:01pm Reply

Having beeing close Placido Domingo once, it changes your life for ever! He is kind of God transforming you and lifting you up at a higher level where only light, love, grace and ellegance exists! So human and so devine at the same time, in such an extend that one can possibly experience once, in a life time! Thank you maestro, our best wishes are always with you!

4. Barbara Dovey responded on 27 October 2011 at 10:08am Reply

After watching a very young Placido Domingo on a TV programme in I think, 1969, my Father commented that, "there is a young man who will bring great pleasure to many many people, providing he keeps his feet firmly on the ground, and doesn't get above himself." How right Dad was, but sadly he died in 1976 so didn't get to see his prediction fulfilled. Thankyou Maestro for all the pleasure you have given so many, and still remain a lovely person. I am so looking forward to Sunday afternoon.

5. Carito Angulo Pradel responded on 27 October 2011 at 3:04pm Reply

I've never seen Placido Domingo... but he's my favourite Tenor... I'm so excited because he's come to Chile on 2012, at Teatro Municipal Santiago Chile, perfoming Il Postino as Pablo Neruda, so ... I'm very happy...

6. Enid Thresher responded on 27 October 2011 at 4:20pm Reply

I first saw Placido at Covent Garden in Aida and then followed up with L'Africaine, Luisa Miller, la Fanciulla del West (on his birthday - when we all sang greetings) Les Contes d'Hoffman, Tosca and an absolutely unforgettable Otello. Well, they're all unforgettable really.

7. My mother took me to the Franco Rossi movie "Carmen" in the movie theatre and I stayed for the next three sessions. I was hooked! Parsifal in New York, Otello in LA, Pagliacci in Verona, Three Tenors in LA, so many memories. What a voice!

8. Irene Kokai responded on 27 October 2011 at 6:20pm Reply

There has not been any performance of Placido Domingo that I did not love. I'll bet that I am not alone in the world of opera lovers. Best wishes for Mr. Domingo!!!

9. Gonzalo Reátegui responded on 27 October 2011 at 10:39pm Reply

First time I saw Plácido. 1999. He was Doing 2 of my favorite roles at the MET on late September/early October: Canio and Otello. I am from Lima, Perú and had 18 years old and being great fan of Plácido since I was 13. I sent the order form for the tickets for the performances on Mid April, the 1st day the MET received ticket orders. The MET send me a letter telling me to wait 10-12 weeks for their response. In early September, I received a letter from the MET telling me that the tickets I order were Sold Out. I had already bought the airplane ticket Lima-NY so I decided to go two days before to stay in line and get standing room tickets.
    I sent an email to the MET asking to be in the list to see Plácido after the performance and they replied telling me that I had to be on a list made by Plácido or his representatives. They wrote me the fax number of their representatives. I was not very confident it could work, but I sent a fax to the number given by the MET and wrote the phone number of the place I was staying in NY.
    Next morning, already in NY, i received a call from Plácido´s wonderful secretary, Mr. Paul Garner, asking me how I was and telling me that Plácido had thought it would be a "good idea", since I was on NY, to invite me to his performances for both Otello (3 performances) and Pagliacci. He also told me that I was also on the list to greet Plácido after the performance. The day after the first performance Paul Garner call me again, he told me that Plácido had though that since I was in NY if I would like to go to all the performances of the MET during my 10 day stay in New York.
    I must say that the Otellos(even Plácido with a cold) and the Pagliacci were the most outstanding opera performances I have ever seen.
    Plácido is a legend, the greatest opera performer ever, but i wanted to also show his personal values, his generosity, his care for his fans.
    Thank you for everything, my dear maestro!

10. When I was 17, I took a week off from school and did the 19-hour-each-way drive to LA to se Placido Domingo in Otello. It was an incredible performance, and afterwards we got backstage and took pictures with him. The next morning, we realized that the film in the camera wasn't winding, but we have so many wonderful memories of that trip. A little more recently (about 10 years ago) I was fortunate enough to attend the Met gala celebrating his 60th birthday. He truly is the greatest tenor alive.

11. N.Barendregt responded on 28 October 2011 at 9:26am Reply

This Celebration should be recorded for television and a DVD-release!!!

12. María Muñoz responded on 28 October 2011 at 5:09pm Reply

I'll never forget his Simon Boccanegra in Madrid. The final applause lasts for half an hour..and he give us some torero pases. It was unforgetable..after, we waited for him to get an autograph, and he was sooo kind (as usual)..I was so nervous, and afraid, and amazed, that in the photo my face is really stupid, heheh...my friend is still laughing of my face in that occasion. Next time, I was able to smile....

13. Motohiko Fukuda responded on 30 October 2011 at 4:02pm Reply

"I was wonderfully lucky to see Pracido Domingo three times at METJapan tour. 1988 - Les Contes d'Hoffmann, 1993 - Un Ballo Maschela (Gustav) & 2006 - Die Walkure (Siegmund) Every his performance was fantastic! And the best in my memory or "Life-time best in life of my LIVE Opera"" is 1993 - Un Ballo Maschela (Gustav) in Tokyo. Autograph Placido gave me in his backstage room is very precious to me."

14. Emile Myburgh responded on 31 October 2011 at 11:50am Reply

Flying from Johannesburg in July 2010 to see him in Simon Boccanegra for the first time in my life.

Connect with Facebook