World Book Day 2014: What books would you love to turn into an opera or ballet?

From Animal Farm and Naked Lunch to Winnie the Pooh and Charlotte's Web, a few of your suggestions.

By Chris Shipman (Content Producer (Social Media and News))

6 March 2014 at 10.40am | 15 Comments

What books would you love to turn into an opera or ballet?
What existing adaptatons do you enjoy?

1. Nick Arkle responded on 6 March 2014 at 11:06am Reply

Gormenghast - opera ? (poss ballet) I believe Sting owns the rights for it ?

2. Andrew Bourne responded on 6 March 2014 at 11:07am Reply

I would quite like the kite runner or any of Alan Garner's fantasy novels

3. Lee Norman responded on 6 March 2014 at 11:38am Reply

Captain Pantoja and the Special Services by Mario Vargas Llosa. Also almost anything by Jorge Amado

4. Micheline Decker responded on 6 March 2014 at 1:54pm Reply

I always thought Harry Potter would make a great ballet

5. Chandra responded on 6 March 2014 at 5:02pm Reply

The Wings of the Dove by Henry James would make a great dramatic ballet. A dying heiress, clandestine lovers - imagine the pas de trois!

6. Fiona responded on 6 March 2014 at 5:30pm Reply

Possibilities of adapting literature for ballet seem pretty endless! So many children's books could work wonders as ballets if adapted well (i.e. 'The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe', if it was done on the same scale as 'Alice'), also classics like 'Emma', 'Pride and Prejudice', 'Sense and Sensibility', 'Wuthering Heights', 'Jane Eyre', 'Great Expectations', 'Dracula', etc., too many to name! Lesser known fairy tales would be good and I love idea (above) of 'Gormenghast' for a ballet. More ballet should be adapted from books!

7. So many books I've read but my mind goes blank trying to think of one as a ballet! Of those already ballets I love Onegin, and Manon .

8. Vanity Fair?

9. Linda responded on 6 March 2014 at 8:30pm Reply

Any story would be great but you gotta keep it classical. I love stories like Swan lake but also stories like the sleeping beauty. Ballet is great, keep it like that.

10. Angela Hurlstone responded on 6 March 2014 at 10:43pm Reply

The Edwards by Vita Sackville-West would make an excellent ballet. This could doubtless result in some wonderful dance drama - Stephen McCrae would make an excellent Sebastian

11. Lynne responded on 6 March 2014 at 11:59pm Reply

I was also going to suggest "Pride and Prejudice" as a ballet - by Liam Scarlett please! Could be an opportunity for wonderful pas de deux, great characters, as well as colourful ballroom/country dance scenes with all the officers etc. - perfect for the Royal Ballet.

12. I like Chandra's suggestion of Wings of the Dove. Venice, gondoliers leaping about, Venetian masked ball. Hope I've got the right book!

13. The Singing, Ringing tree - it used to be on television in the 1960s - imported German tv adaptation but it was magical - a Princess who is spoilt and a Prince who comes to woo her but she spurns his advances, like so many others, however he has previously met a troll who says that if she does not accept him he has to agree to become his property and he turns him into a bear. the spell can only be broken if said Princess falls in love with him in this guise. Bloomin' marvellous - it would make a superb ballet or opera

14. dee freeman responded on 10 March 2014 at 6:04pm Reply

COMMENT A LITTLE LATE, BUT ""THE FIREBIRD" BY S.F. AUTHOR EDMUND COOPER WOULD DO NICELY FOR EITHER.

15. I would like to suggest "The Kite Runner" for ballet adaptation. Challenging, but I'm sure could make a great production.