World Ballet Day to show live action from inside five of the world’s leading ballet companies

The Australian Ballet, Bolshoi Ballet, The Royal Ballet, The National Ballet of Canada and San Francisco Ballet join in day-long live stream on 1 October 2014.

By Lottie Butler (Former Assistant Content Producer (News and Social Media))

8 September 2014 at 11.00pm | 29 Comments

In a global first, World Ballet Day will show live, behind-the-scenes action from the rehearsal studios of five world-class ballet companies on 1 October 2014.

The Australian Ballet, Bolshoi Ballet, The Royal Ballet, The National Ballet of Canada and San Francisco Ballet will each take the lead for a four-hour period, live-streaming behind-the-scenes from their headquarters to offer a rare glimpse backstage.

Viewers will be able to interact with dancers, choreographers and coaches by asking questions throughout the day via social media. They will also be invited to submit a video of themselves performing a pirouette wherever they are in the world, which will form part of a montage celebrating the worldwide appeal of dance. Find out more about what's happening on the day.

Viewers can watch online right here at www.roh.org.uk/worldballetday, and the stream will subsequently be repeated on YouTube to allow viewers from around the globe to catch up on anything they missed. Edited highlights will be made available after the event.

World Ballet Day follows Royal Ballet Live, a nine-hour live stream which took place in March 2012, attracting some 200,000 views of the live stream and repeat broadcast and 2.5 million views of YouTube Royal Ballet Live material.

Your free digital guide to World Ballet Day is available here - simply type in the promo code: worldballet14 to claim your free guide (usual price £2.99). Please note that the promo code is case sensitive.

Join us on Twitter and Facebook for updates on what will happen on the day.

By Lottie Butler (Former Assistant Content Producer (News and Social Media))

8 September 2014 at 11.00pm

This article has been categorised Ballet and tagged Australian Ballet, Bolshoi Ballet, live, live stream, National Ballet of Canada, San Francisco Ballet, streaming, The Royal Ballet, WBD, World Ballet Day, worldballetday

1. Emily responded on 9 September 2014 at 6:00pm Reply

Will the footage go on Youtube afterwards? I can't watch all day but it would be great if I could watch it all eventually. I loved the Royal Ballet Live day.

• Chris Shipman (Head of Online Content) responded on 10 September 2014 at 10:39am

Hi Emily,

We may be able to offer content on demand, but how much we're able to offer afterwards is still to be confirmed.

Glad you enjoyed Royal Ballet Live. I'm not sure if you've watched them, but our YouTube channel does feature highlights from that event, including daily class in full - http://www.youtube.com/royaloperahouse

Thanks,

Chris
      ROH Content Producer

2. Courtney Harris responded on 10 September 2014 at 2:12am Reply

This is so exciting! Should I miss the live stream on Oct. 1, do you know when it will be posted to YouTube?

• Chris Shipman (Head of Online Content) responded on 10 September 2014 at 10:40am

Hi Courtney,

World Ballet Day is a live event, so it'll be watchable on the day on our YouTube channel (do subscribe if you haven't already!).

Hope you enjoy it!

Chris
      ROH Content Producer

3. I just clicked onto The Royal Ballet Homepage and found out about the streaming 24 hour World Ballet Day. I live in White Plains,NY USA. I would love to watch this 24 hour streaming video but will this streaming video be on You Tube, television, in the movies, close cirut movie, TV etc? What can I do so I can watch this wonderful event on October 1rst? Thankyou very much I hope you can help me.

e cirit

4. Beatrix responded on 10 September 2014 at 9:25pm Reply

What a brilliant idea! I won't miss it for the world!

5. Hey ROH,
    thanks for the amazing co-production. Will the live stream be available in Germany? There often seem to be copyright issues of some sort..

• Chris Shipman (Head of Online Content) responded on 12 September 2014 at 5:47pm

Hi Anna,

We're afraid the stream won't be available in Germany due to a dispute between the German government and YouTube.

Apologies!

Chris
      ROH Content Producer

6. Yulia Liemena responded on 19 September 2014 at 9:18am Reply

what time will it be started? because i live in another part of the world and definitely don't want to miss it due to the time zone difference!

• Ellen West (Head of Product Management) responded on 19 September 2014 at 5:20pm

Where do you live Yulia? Let us know and we'll give you a local time for your diary.

Best wishes

Ellen

7. Janice MacAulay responded on 20 September 2014 at 1:22pm Reply

The time zones are confusing for me. Will there be a feature (like with Formula 1 races) where you can click on a button the see the schedule in your local time zone?

8. This is starting 00:00 (12:00 am) GMT ?

• Chris Shipman (Head of Online Content) responded on 22 September 2014 at 5:54pm

Hi Rami,

World Ballet Day will start at 3am BST.

Thanks,

Chris
      ROH Content Producer

9. Marianne responded on 22 September 2014 at 7:57pm Reply

I can't figure out how many hours the livestream will be on for the day and when it will begin in Oregon (Pacific time zone USA). Thank you for doing this!
    Marianne

• Chris Shipman (Head of Online Content) responded on 23 September 2014 at 12:27pm

Hi Marianne,

The stream will run for 24 hours, from 7pm PDT (3am GMT).

Thanks

Chris
      ROH Content Producer

10. I just found about this and am sooo0 excited.
    Looking forward to catch a glimpse of what's going on in the amazing world of world's great ballet companies! Now I must spread this wonderful news to my friends. Thank you for doing this.

11. Linzi responded on 25 September 2014 at 3:46pm Reply

We would love to share this with viewers in Germany.. do you know if the live stream on your website will be available to watch in Germany? Many thanks!

• Chris Shipman (Head of Online Content) responded on 25 September 2014 at 4:35pm

Hi Linzi,

We're afraid the live-stream won't be available in Germany due to a dispute between the German government and YouTube - an issue that's unfortunately out of our control!

Apologies,

Chris
      ROH Content Producer

12. How long should the video clips for the posting of personal pirouettes from various parts of the world last?

• Ellen West (Head of Product Management) responded on 28 September 2014 at 11:35pm

Hi there

We've set no time limit, so be creative!

Best wishes

Ellen

13. Maria responded on 27 September 2014 at 2:27pm Reply

So the live streaming of the five ballet companies included will start at 3am GMT on October 1st. I have two questions:
    1.If the streaming is going to be 24hours long, it is going to start on Oct 1st at 3am and finish when - 3am on Oct 2nd?
    2.What is the broadcast sequence of the five ballet companies? When will each company start broadcasting? Is there a timetable for that? You can reply the start times at GMT time (I am GMT+2 and I will figure it out myself for my country).
    Thank you and looking forward to watching the streaming!

14. Hi. I would like to know if the live streaming will be available in Colombia, South America. If so, what time? I'm +5 GMT thank you!

15. Texas Nixon-Kain responded on 28 September 2014 at 9:37am Reply

Hi, I am very excited about World Ballet Day and am looking forward to it! If i happen to miss the live recording, will the nine hours of the live stream still be available to watch after october the 1st?

• Chris Shipman (Head of Online Content) responded on 30 September 2014 at 10:19am

Hi Texas,

We're afraid we won't be able to offer the full 24 hours, but each company will be uploading select highlights of their section afterwards.

Chris
      ROH Content Producer

16. Yulia Liemena responded on 30 September 2014 at 6:09pm Reply

Hi Ellen, i live in Indonesia. What time will it begin?

• Ellen West (Head of Product Management) responded on 1 October 2014 at 2:23am

Hi Yulia

The stream will begin at 3am BST, which (by my calculations) will be 9am in Indonesia. Hope that you can join us!

Best wishes