Watch: The Royal Opera’s Turandot on-demand

Puccini’s great final work contains one of all opera’s most iconic tunes – ‘Nessun dorma’.

By Mel Spencer (Senior Editor (Social Media))

15 July 2017 at 8.00am | 43 Comments

The Royal Opera’s Turandot was relayed live to BP Big Screens around the UK and streamed via YouTube on 14 July. It was available to watch on demand for a further 30 days afterwards.

The opera, set in ancient China, tells the story of Princess Turandot, who has sworn that no man shall marry her unless he can correctly answer three riddles. Prince Calaf, captivated by Turandot’s beauty, takes up the challenge.

Turandot contains one of the most famous of all arias, ‘Nessun dorma’, sung as Calaf anticipates winning the Princess’s hand – immortalized in popular culture by Luciano Pavarotti.

Andrei Serban’s spectacular staging transports its audience to a beautiful but savage world. Sally Jacobs’s colourful sets and costumes are inspired by ancient Chinese culture, reflecting the traditional Chinese melodies woven into the score.

American soprano Lise Lindstrom sings the role of Princess Turandot and French tenor Roberto Alagna performs the role of Calaf. Dan Ettinger conducts. Read the full cast list.

Subscribe to our YouTube channel for notifications about future livestreams:

By Mel Spencer (Senior Editor (Social Media))

15 July 2017 at 8.00am

This article has been categorised Opera and tagged BP Big Screens, by Andrei Serban, by giacomo puccini, giacomo puccini, live stream, Production, turandot, YouTube

1. Liz responded on 5 July 2017 at 8:50pm Reply

Why not at Bristol??

• Noelia Moreno responded on 7 July 2017 at 12:09pm

Hi Liz,

Thank you for your interest. Unfortunately Bristol could not take Turandot as it clashes with other events in their summer schedule. I hope you can watch it online.

Best wishes,
      Noelia
      ROH BP Big Screens

• May responded on 20 July 2017 at 12:07am

Hello,
      This is a great idea!
      Is this season's Traviata screened online anywhere please? Sad I missed it!
      Thanks in advance

• Noelia Moreno responded on 20 July 2017 at 9:56am

Hello May,

Only Turandot is being streamed online this summer. I hope you enjoy it!

All the best,
      Noelia

2. Giovanni affinito responded on 6 July 2017 at 6:53pm Reply

What happened.to Christine Georke? We thought she was singing Turandot.

• Patrick Horwood responded on 16 July 2017 at 12:59pm

There were two casts for the main characters which alternated. I guess its hard to sing like that every day. So, Christine and Lise both sang. I happened to see Christine sing live in the Wednesday matinee. Both casts were amazing.

3. mandy responded on 7 July 2017 at 10:53am Reply

So excited - Can't wait to watch this via live stream as although I work near one of the BP Big Screens I can't get there that evening. Not enough Opera on tv to watch our favourites and this is surely one of them ! thank you for making it accessible.

4. Francie (Francesca) Neely responded on 7 July 2017 at 3:59pm Reply

Thank you so very much, ROH, for streaming this fabulous opera on YouTube! This is my dream cast for Turandot and I'll be watching from Los Angeles. How wonderful of you to share the opera with those of us who are not fortunate enough to live in London and catch it there. Bravo!

5. Deborah responded on 7 July 2017 at 8:42pm Reply

Thanks so much for deciding to stream this! I am so glad I will be able to see this even though I cannot be present at the ROH!

6. Jill De sayrah responded on 8 July 2017 at 3:58pm Reply

Just.seen the Saturday matinee of this production and wow do I want more! .... Alagna still looking and sounding amazing.... the best live Nessun Dorma I have heard since Pavorotti in the Park. None should miss !

7. Fufi responded on 8 July 2017 at 4:36pm Reply

Thank you so much for this! You're fab.

8. joyce boutin responded on 8 July 2017 at 7:00pm Reply

what time i U.S. wil it be broadcast on Utube?

• Noelia Moreno responded on 12 July 2017 at 10:00am

Hi Joyce,

Turandot will be streamed online live on 14 July, 19:00 British Summer Time, and on demand for a further 30 days.

Best wishes,
      Noelia
      ROH BP Big Screens

9. Bruno responded on 9 July 2017 at 9:34pm Reply

Do you have to book? My daughter was at La Traviata in Hull this week and I understood she had a ticket. I can't see anywhere to reserve a ticket though

10. Michael Simkins responded on 10 July 2017 at 6:35pm Reply

Hello , I saw the show live last Saturday afternoon and was blown away - thus I'd love to have enjoyed the live screening in London this Friday but am working that night. Is it possible to 'catch up' via Youtube etc later in the evening...?

11. Sheila Warrener responded on 11 July 2017 at 11:43am Reply

Nothing in Scotland ?

• Mel Spencer (Senior Editor (Social Media)) responded on 11 July 2017 at 12:06pm

Hi Sheila,

The stream is available live online on YouTube, so you can watch wherever you are. We've hosted BP Big Screens at Aberdeen's Duthie Park this summer, but unfortunately this screening won't be shown there this time.

Thanks for your comment.

Mel

12. Deborah responded on 11 July 2017 at 6:45pm Reply

Excuse me, but I'm somewhat new at streaming - how do I find the stream on YouTube? Will there be a link on your Facebook page or Web site that I click, will there be a link / button for me to click on at your YouTube channel, or do I do something else?

• Chris Shipman (Head of Brand Engagement and Social Media) responded on 12 July 2017 at 10:09am

Hi Deborah,

If you click the play button on the video above from 7.30pm on 14 July, you'll be able to watch the performance.

Hope you enjoy the stream,

Chris

13. Peter Lewis responded on 12 July 2017 at 1:28pm Reply

Saw this last night in the 'House'. Truly superb production and the cast were on top form, especially Alagna who had been missing in action (sick) a month ago. Definitely recommend a trip to a BP screen or your nearest YouTube!

14. GWYNETH MARICHI responded on 13 July 2017 at 9:29pm Reply

WONDERFUL...LOOKS EXCITING CAST N AMAZING COSTUMES.......REALLY LOOKING FORWARD TO THIS...SORRY I MISSED JONAS KAUFFMANN OTELLO!!even better when i get to LONDON AND CAN SEE A LIVE PERFORMANCE AT ROH.....

15. Andres Sanchez responded on 14 July 2017 at 12:54pm Reply

Hello. .regards from Venezuela. ..Will it be possible to watch it overseas?

16. Josephine Jones responded on 14 July 2017 at 8:09pm Reply

Thank you for giving us the option of live streaming. I'm enjoying watching from Orkney!
    BUT could have done without the crass "warm-up act"; dumbing-down springs to mind....
    Just hope we don't have more in the interval...

• Roy Fernley responded on 21 July 2017 at 9:30pm

Oh good I'm not the only one who disliked the host. Fortunately watching this on demand I was able to fast forward when it became apparent this wasn't the usual 5 minute introduction.

17. Yukie Aizawa responded on 14 July 2017 at 8:21pm Reply

Thank you for this live.
    I am watching from Honolulu Hawaii! we are 11 hours behind....

18. Chris Richardson-Child responded on 14 July 2017 at 8:49pm Reply

So I saw this Wednesday for the second time, live, at the ROH (last shown in September 2013) and it is brilliant on every level - a definite 'must see' especially if you are new to opera - there is nothing better than this - I give this 6 stars (out of 5)

19. Yukie Aizawa responded on 14 July 2017 at 10:38pm Reply

Thank you Thank you Thank you!
    Such a amazing performance!!!

20. Monique Delangle responded on 14 July 2017 at 10:41pm Reply

Just amazing production, loved every minute thank you so much roh

21. Elizabeth Schumann responded on 14 July 2017 at 10:42pm Reply

Where can I get the full cast, please?

22. Grace Skinner responded on 14 July 2017 at 11:05pm Reply

Just finished watching online here in Portland Oregon! This was such an awesome experience! I'm so glad that opera is still alive and is being shared all around the world.

23. Margaret White responded on 15 July 2017 at 6:58am Reply

It was brilliant to able to see this on YouTube because we had tickets for the rehearsal but were unable to be there as my husband had to go into hospital so we were delighted to see it live on YouTube. Thank you.

24. Nelson Jones responded on 15 July 2017 at 10:20am Reply

Wonderful, wonderful show. One of the best ROH productions I've seen in years. Lindstrom is chilling and intense, Alagna is spectacular, Kurzak just breaks your heart.

It's so great that this has been made available to a wider public.

25. Jane Stephen responded on 15 July 2017 at 6:38pm Reply

It is always wonderful to see this production.Please ROH do not ever consider replacing it.I watched it online in Penzance

26. PAUL SHORTT responded on 16 July 2017 at 10:54am Reply

Kurzak is the most superb LIU . Singing is meltingly beautiful and her acting captures the slave girl completely . Alagna is Heroic and sings superb as CALAF . Lindstrom as TURANDOT looks amazing - just right . sings wioth Intensity and is very convincing . A SUPERB PRODUCTION (I've now seen it Twice )

27. Robert Huguenor responded on 17 July 2017 at 12:44am Reply

Thank you for a beautiful and stunning opera production. It is wonderful!

28. r.a. responded on 17 July 2017 at 12:42pm Reply

Alagna was absolutely superb - please can we see him more often at ROH. Are there plans for him to return next year? In my opinion the most sincere and moving tenor singing today. Kurzak was very affecting as Liu. And the production was wonderful. Sets, costumes, movement. If only Maestro Pappano had been conducting it would have been perfect.

29. Jean Hussein responded on 17 July 2017 at 5:44pm Reply

Thank you. I was fortunate enough to see the other cast, I couldn't get a ticket for this one so I was so pleased to be able to watch it online. Wonderful.

30. Chris French responded on 21 July 2017 at 1:19pm Reply

July 12th at The Royal Opera House, my wife and ll with seats in the orchestra stalls, saw something that will stay with us for the rest of our lives.
    Thank heavens people aspire to such artistic interpretation...life would be so dull otherwise!

31. Timothy Ooi responded on 31 July 2017 at 1:01am Reply

Thank you. I live in Malaysia and this is a wonderful treat. I managed to watch Il Trovatore online last year too.

As a student in London, I was once a Friend. After 30 years, I will be returning to London soon for a visit and look forward to catch the new production of La Boheme. Tickets purchased!

32. Tony C responded on 4 August 2017 at 8:24pm Reply

So pleased that this is streamed. I was due to be there but my teenage daughter was unwell and we had to return the tickets. It's been her favourite London venue since first standing in the Gods at age 13.